Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 11:38 pm

I don't get it. People make me RAGE. I've been going into these fits of blind rage lately and I end up in tears.

I'm angry because I am so bloody sick and tired of people doing mean things and thinking it's cool or funny. Then if I call them on it they think that's GREAT and they laugh and laugh. Then they do it some more.

I would never do something mean to someone because I thought it was funny or cool. Why do people do that? How do you make them stop?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

31 May 2007, 11:46 pm

These people are the offline version of trolls. Therefore, the best course of action is none at all. Just don't react. With our inability to show emotion well, this sould be a bit easier.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2007, 11:47 pm

Same reason as people bully I expect. I do put up with bullying any more. I learnt in the end the only thing that has ever worked for me is standing up to them. Blokes aren't half as amused by being mean to me if I threaten to punch their heads in and girls aren't quite as mean if I start on a campaigne on constant questions about their weight and/or age. They usaully back down and find easier targets.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

01 Jun 2007, 12:00 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8klmOQPLew[/youtube]

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 12:02 am

Unfortunately there is the first law of humor:

It is funny if it happens to someone else.

Hard to be the butt of the joke. I have been now for half a century. All I have as a solution is to become comfortably numb.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:02 am

What really pisses me off about this is when you try to treat them the same way back to see how they like it, and they and all their stupid friends call YOU the bully, and bicth at you for being mean!

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:13 am

I guess I'm talking both about offline trolls and online ones. I don't understand the appeal of being a troll or a bully. I'm not often made the butt of jokes anymore because I'm out of high school and I almost never socialize, but I still see it happening to other people, and it upsets me. It upsets me even more when it happens to me because I would never ever do it to other people.

The incident that made me start this thread had very little to do with me. But when I mentioned it to other people- venting in frustration about people's childish, destructive behaviour- they all laughed and said they do the same thing sometimes. They do the trolling/bullying, I mean.

I told them it wasn't funny, it was childish and destructive and stupid, and they just laughed more. This is why I hate the human species. They're all just a bunch of apes throwing faeces at each other and I don't appreciate being caught in the crossfire. I don't appreciate the smell or the mess it makes, and it isn't even funny. But as soon as you tell them to stop, they throw it at YOU.

And you're exactly right, Cheerlessleader. If I try to do the same thing to someone, they all attack me. They don't let me do it. The expression says, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I've tried joining 'em, but I don't find it fun, and I can't get away with it anyway. What the hell?!

...and, TM1, you post awesome stuff. Keep it coming. <3

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:19 am

Because people are idiots. Sometimes I have really sh***y days when nothing goes right and I feel completely alone in the world and blame it all in AS, but then I think about it and realize what the alternative is. And I don't care what people say; people are all the same. The people who don't laugh or enjoy the misfortune of others are only repressing that reaction, and if they thought it was socially appropriate they'd laugh their ass off.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:28 am

Yes, it hurts badly ((hurt feelings x 10^(1/0)).

Psychologically, voodoo dolls help and they're innocuous. Then I have a meltdown. Or, not in that order.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 2:54 am

Esperanza wrote:
I told them it wasn't funny, it was childish and destructive and stupid, and they just laughed more. This is why I hate the human species. They're all just a bunch of apes throwing faeces at each other and I don't appreciate being caught in the crossfire. I don't appreciate the smell or the mess it makes, and it isn't even funny. But as soon as you tell them to stop, they throw it at YOU.

That's how I feel sometimes. Much of the time I see the human race as basically evil and disgusting. We could create such an amazing society RIGHT NOW, but we can't, because too many people are horrific monsters.

Out of curiosity, what was the incident? I wonder what I'd think of it.

eblonk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2007, 3:26 am

I´m usually the butt of my own jokes which surprises people because I steal their thunder. This is accompanied by a weird sense of humor. People don´t know what to make of me and either like me or literally go sit somewhere else (that happened in a team meeting yesterday - I thought it was hilarious). In the middle there is a group of people that feel slightly uneasy around me.

In my teenage years it was very hard sometimes but I coped partly because I loved to be alone, not to be away from others so much, but to be alone with my thoughts and doing what I liked. Also I worked on my mental shoulder shrug and that all you can do about it, as far as I know. If you don´t learn to roll with the punches you´ll get hurt.

Why people do it? Competition. Yes, we are apes and only some of us realize it. And apes actually don´t bully, that is a trait only a highly developed species like humans have. Go figure.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 3:34 am

The reason I didn't spell it out earlier is that it happened in WoW and there's a lot of jargon and specific knowledge involved in understanding the incident. But, here goes:

I've been playing a lot of AV lately because I want a few pieces of GM gear. There's this one as*hole I keep getting stuck in raids with. The guy is a mage and he likes to put up a portal to Exodar right up against the gate before the game starts. Then he asks people to click it as if it's a soulwell portal or a summoning portal. Inevitably in the confusing crush of people- there are like twenty of us running against the gate as the raid slowly fills up and people are buffing- five or six people click it. And of course they end up stuck in Exodar with a deserter debuff, and the rest of the raid is short-handed. He says he's filtering out the nubs. The fact is, he's filtering out the team players- those helpful people who lend a hand putting up a soul well- who also have poor screen resolution.

So this evening I ended up with this dickhead again. And just by chance, we were a little short-handed to start with, and then like ten people clicked the portal. So we had like seven people for our offensive team, which is way way too few. The raid didn't fill up until ten minutes into the game, and by that time all the newcomers were stuck on defense, because if you've ever played AV then you'll know that if you don't get out of the gate as soon as the game starts then you'll be pushed back by a giant wave of Horde.

So the game lasted twice as long as it should have, and we lost miserably. Alliance almost never loses AV. It's the one BG that Horde doesn't often win, and that's why I was in there in the first place. I'm trying to save up honor points.

So this one stupid f*****g piece of s**t thinks it's funny to put up his portal to Exodar and screw people over, and the game took nearly an hour and we all lost. Forty of us. Because of his miserable little prank.

So I bitched to my guild about it, in frustration. And what did they say? "HAHA! That's so funny" and "I'm gonna roll a mage just so I can do that!" and "Hey yeah <name> used to do that!" and, best of all, "Yeah that filters out the nubs! Haha!"

I wanted to f*****g pummel them all to death. I wanted to take a bat to their heads, one by one. Crunch. Splat. This is a raiding guild, guys, with an age limit. These people have an average age of 25-30 and they're all either university students or young professionals. We don't have a ninja in the bunch. It's hard to get into the guild. Applicants are very carefully screened. These are the best people on the server. I expected better behaviour from them. I really did. I was sorely disappointed.

I've never clicked the Exodar portal, but he does put it in the middle of everything, and I might someday click it, just because I'm trying to deselect my target or change my camera angle or something. And he wasted a good half hour of my time, and the time of FIFTY OTHER PEOPLE. That's including the people who clicked the portal. He's a little useless snot-nosed piece of s**t and I wish he would just DIE. I would NEVER put up a portal like that. Not EVER. I do not understand people who do things like that.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 3:52 am

That does sound really stupid. In a certain context, with friends, it could be kind of funny. But not in what's basically a random gathering of strangers. I wonder if that behavior translates to his real life too? (Plus that he keeps doing it again and again).

Oh well, for whatever reason it's not as offensive to me as if it had happened in real life, although I haven't really played online stuff much yet.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:51 pm

Don't react then they will stop the more you react the more they will do it. I'm speaking from expeirence

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2007, 2:15 pm

I miss third grade because it was so easy then all you had to do was know the most "your momma's so fat/stupid" jokes and you could win any confrontation. My friends often tell me I'm good at making people angry and putting them down and they say it's funny how far I take it. I enjoy it and don't care that people suffer for it and I don't see why I should care.

eblonk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2007, 4:03 pm

Phssthpok wrote:
I miss third grade because it was so easy then all you had to do was know the most "your momma's so fat/stupid" jokes and you could win any confrontation.

Anyone that tried that nonsense on me, I laughed in their faces. One spat on me and I sent him flying despite that I pretty much avoid confrontations.
Another one that can work but it depends who you´re dealing with is just go about your business ignoring them. If they are prone to figthing, laughing works better.
Oh, and there was that guy, the popular tough guy (you know the type) at my first job. My mother had just left intensive care semi-paralyzed and he probably thought I was vulnerable or something. So he made some remark about my mother. I gave him a round of applause. He was so pissed :twisted:
The times I ever got into a fight can be counted on the fingers of one hand and still having enough left to order two beer. Good thing too because I suck at fighting.

Last edited by eblonk on 01 Jun 2007, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.