Mensa - organization for intelligent people

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 12:23 am

spudnik wrote:
What are the mensa requirements, regarding IQ, I do have an IQ of 137, but it hasn't helped my in any way, other then useless trivia, I have no degrees to show for it, and I am glad I don't, there are to many people with a useless piece of paper working retail.

So true, I actually knew a few when I was in retail. So many young people paying off student loans doing the exact same thing I was and makng the exact same amount. I always laugh at those commercials "You can design video games for a living if you get a degree from us!!" It's almost as bad as those army commercials that show kids playing with robots and doing impressive things on the computer, jumping out of helicpters and stuff. I'm sure it's just like that.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 12:27 am

sinsboldly wrote:
well, it's sorta like hanging out with other Aspies. . I can barely stand to hang with other Aspies. .. and I can barely stand to hang with other Mensa folks. But they are people like you and you get to be around people that are smarter than you, too and frankly how often does THAT happen, I mean that is refreshing right there. I get to feel sorta 'normal' for a while, If being around others like you makes you feel 'normal'.

Yeah, I agree.

There are some very pleasant, nice people, and also a bunch of arrogant jerks, just as it is in any population. However, there are just as many smart people on Wrong Planet, and I don't have to physically show up and socialize, which is a big plus.

Last edited by CityAsylum on 29 Mar 2008, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 12:40 am

Chadk wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:
Mensa is an idiotic organization. If they were smart, they would know that an IQ score doesn't have any real meaning.

Something about a hammer and a nail springs to mind.

Well said.

Yay! I got a metaphor! I must be in the top 2%

Noelle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 3:00 am

Don't forget: you need about fifty bucks to take the test, so the smart thrifty people skip the chance. Great, if you want to play with the eggheads, but sort of intimidating when you meet the child doctors and people with 200 IQs.

Chadk

27 Mar 2008, 3:08 am

Noelle wrote:
Don't forget: you need about fifty bucks to take the test, so the smart thrifty people skip the chance. Great, if you want to play with the eggheads, but sort of intimidating when you meet the child doctors and people with 200 IQs.

200 IQs?

I have just 1 IQ, but sure Gartner DOES suggest we have 7. But i have never heard of 200 IQs :?

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 5:01 am

I think there are many types of intelligence. I dont take my IQ score seriously but perhaps I would if I had a high one...

Taking a break.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 5:08 pm

IdahoAspie wrote:
Mensa is an idiotic organization. If they were smart, they would know that an IQ score doesn't have any real meaning.

True, but it is a guide and a tool. But like all tools - it depends on how it's used.

There's one person I know who claims she's a member of Mensa. But she's LFA so that's impossible - unless they admitted her on a technicality. She certainly fits the bill per DHP's definition - the second part that is!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 5:13 pm

What do people do in these meetings anyway? If I were in the top two percent, and thought being a MENSA member important, I would much rather talk to you guys here on WP. :)

littlebopeep
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Mar 2008, 5:22 pm

Geena Davis is a member of Mensa!

ImageImageImage

Famous Mensa Members

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:33 pm

Funny thing is, "mensa" means dumb female in Spanish! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(and menso means dumb male)

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:35 pm

computerlove wrote:

Ironic! :lol:

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:17 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
What do people do in these meetings anyway?

Depends on which group is meeting. When I was in Mensa down in San Diego, I used to hang out a lot with the Pseudo-Cynics SIG (Special Interest Group), because they were having the most fun. In February, they held the Make HIM Sleep On the Wet Spot Party. July meant it was time for the Let's Rejoin the British Party. In September was the Back-To-School Beer and Cheese Tasting. And December was the White Elephant Party (everyone had to bring the most useless Christmas gift they could think of - the person who got the purple fish-shaped dish had to host the next year's party. There was also a competition to decorate the dead tree with the ugliest, kitschiest ornaments possible. The last one I attended, the winning ornament was a mummified fish, with a Santa hat glued on).

They also held the best Hanukkah party I've ever been to, and the only one that featured a large ham. (The hostess wasn't exactly Orthodox.) I had the dubious honor of helping out in the filthy-Scrabble game - I had to define a term for someone. (Let's just say it was semi-obscure slang for a certain bit of female anatomy, and leave it at that.)

One of the things I liked about it was, if you needed to take a moment to yourself because the presence of others was becoming overwhelming, you could. Usually, at some point, someone would come make sure you were okay - but if you told them you were, they'd take that for an answer, and leave you alone.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:48 pm

Dhp wrote:
By the way, I'm hopefully not a jerk, but I have met people from Mensa...you don't want to meet them.

They are mostly alien from intergalaxtic realms.

For the record, I don't find fun by spending lifetime in a library.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:20 pm

I can't join Mensa because my IQ is -50 or below!! ! Me so dumb. I am officially the dumbest person on Earth! I can't believe that I am able to write sentences what so ever! Now I am confused about being confused!

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 5:38 am

SilverProteus wrote:
computerlove wrote:

Ironic! :lol:

And bloody hilarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 7:41 am

computerlove wrote:

It's german for university cafeteria, as well.

I don't even want to say what menses means in english!