Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Aranittara
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2008, 6:04 am

I didn't talk or read until between a 6 months and a year after my peers but now I can talk while exercising a vocabulary and I love reading while most of my peers have given up reading anything but enormously popular books

Chadk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2008, 6:09 am

I had a language delay aswell.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 6:23 am

I had terrible trouble with learning to read/write, enough so that it was a learning disability. I caught up in a few years of "special" education (I never went to a special school, but I had remedial teachers help me, I went to my teacher's house over the holidays, and my mother really put the effort in).

Language delay: I peaked at the age of two with a couple of words, and then I didn't progress until I was five when an emotionally upsetting event "opened" me up to the world, and I started spouting sentences, to the amazement of my mother (she always had the, '...boys develop slower than girls,' line thrown at her). I started with grammatically incorrect speech, pronoun reversal, speaking in third person, etcetera. Speech therapy helped. I don't like reading or writing, but it's my way of communicating, so I do it. I've always been a walker rather than a talker; a comic book guy over novels.

I'm a product of the hard work of my mother and those who helped her.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 6:49 am

My son Damien didn't talk much till he was 3-4 years old.
He is now 5. I have really pushed him! I have encouranged him to answer people starting with family members then other people. Even when he just answers "good" when asked how he is I give him a pat on the back and praise him.

But his reading OMG he is on level 5 readers, most of his class are on level 2-3.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 7:19 am

I had a language delay as well. Funny thing is, now I won't stop talking! :wink:

Aranittara
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2008, 7:35 am

Lightning88 wrote:
I had a language delay as well. Funny thing is, now I won't stop talking! :wink:

Exactly same here

I think I started at 3-5 began with sentences (no one or two word babble for me) worked up to paragraphs quickly Also I think my first words were "are we lost?"

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 8:32 am

I was an early talker. I was joking called "Mr. Why" because I asked questions constantly. :lol:

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 8:33 am

Mum2ASDboy wrote:
But his reading OMG he is on level 5 readers, most of his class are on level 2-3.

Yay, Damo!! ! :D

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 1:17 pm

I've always been ahead when it comes to reading/writing, but I didn't talk a lot until I was 4. My only thought on that is this: what does a 4 year old have to say?

craola
Toucan
Toucan

29 Mar 2008, 1:35 pm

I think my talking was fine as far as I have been told, my reading was slightly delayed and then suddenly I could just do it and i was quite advanced

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2008, 8:24 pm

I was reading and typing by age 4. I didn't talk, however, except to answer direct questions, and then only with a yes or no. I do remember that I just did not want to make the effort to connect with other humans. I knew the language, but chose not to use it.

Pops

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 9:37 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
I've always been ahead when it comes to reading/writing, but I didn't talk a lot until I was 4. My only thought on that is this: what does a 4 year old have to say?

Plenty. Most two year olds have a lot to say as well.