Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 7:56 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness

There are only a few week that I'm interested in the Spectrum (so please forgive me if I'm saying something stupid or already known). But there are many years that I'm interested in mind science expecially the quantistic/physical approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

(this is a good essay from a famous italian mathematician, baddly it's in italian, I'll put the google translated link: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26rls%3Den )

I'll give you some interesting quotes:

Quote:
Stapp envisages consciousness as exercising top-level control over neural excitation in the brain. Quantum brain events are suggested to occur at the whole brain level, and are seen as being selected from the large-scale excitation of the brain. The neural excitations are viewed as a code, and each conscious experience as a selection from this code. The brain, in this theory, is proposed to be a self-programming computer with a self-sustaining input from memory, which is itself a code derived from previous experience. This process results in a number of probabilities from which consciousness has to select. The conscious act is a selection of a piece of top-level code, which then exercises ongoing control over the flow of neural excitation. This process refers to the top levels of brain activity involved with information gathering, planning and the monitoring of the execution of plans. Conscious events are proposed to be capable of grasping a whole pattern of activity, thus accounting for the unity of consciousness, and providing a solution to the 'binding problem'.

Quote:
Schrödinger In "Mind and matter" were instead addressed two additional issues: the roles of biological and epistemological awareness. Regarding the first, again Schrödinger took seriously the facts: as the survival of living beings is linked to learning by repetition, and the control of new processes gradually becomes unconscious with the consolidation of practice, consciousness is associated with the learning process of organ systems (not just humans).

His presence, both ontogenetic (in the individual) and phylogenetic (in this case) is therefore a symptom of the fact that learning is ongoing, and that has not yet achieved perfect control of knowledge necessary for survival: In other words, consciousness is the stigma of evolution is imperfect and still evolving, and not the medal to the value of higher education and development completed. From this perspective, organic life unconscious (eg, plants and animals) is at a level higher than that of evolutionary development of man.

An example of a phenomenon in the evolution of human behavior is perhaps the contrast between the desires (`` I want'') and precepts (you have to ``'') The conflict between the ego and the super-ego would in this case a demonstration of the existence of a biological switch in place, still developing, from one individual to the social (which can be regarded as successive stages nationalism and internationalism).

What I want to say?

I've read somewhere that there are scientists who think that "spectrum brain" is likely an "ancient brain". So we can have some problem with sensure overload and some gift like hyper-focus because actually we are more conscious than NT of what we are doing because basically we are less-able to elaborate things in a "mechanical" way and actually you can have only one thing on your attention at a given time. Also using the Stap assuption it can coincide with a greater consciousness. As reported by Thinker AS brains are less likely to suppress long scale impulses and with Stapp quantum mind theory it help consciousness.

I think I was a little chaotic, If the argument is interesting I'll go further :P

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 9:07 am

Nightsun wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness

There are only a few week that I'm interested in the Spectrum (so please forgive me if I'm saying something stupid or already known). But there are many years that I'm interested in mind science expecially the quantistic/physical approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

(this is a good essay from a famous italian mathematician, baddly it's in italian, I'll put the google translated link: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 26rls%3Den )

I'll give you some interesting quotes:

Quote:
Stapp envisages consciousness as exercising top-level control over neural excitation in the brain. Quantum brain events are suggested to occur at the whole brain level, and are seen as being selected from the large-scale excitation of the brain. The neural excitations are viewed as a code, and each conscious experience as a selection from this code. The brain, in this theory, is proposed to be a self-programming computer with a self-sustaining input from memory, which is itself a code derived from previous experience. This process results in a number of probabilities from which consciousness has to select. The conscious act is a selection of a piece of top-level code, which then exercises ongoing control over the flow of neural excitation. This process refers to the top levels of brain activity involved with information gathering, planning and the monitoring of the execution of plans. Conscious events are proposed to be capable of grasping a whole pattern of activity, thus accounting for the unity of consciousness, and providing a solution to the 'binding problem'.

Quote:
Schrödinger In "Mind and matter" were instead addressed two additional issues: the roles of biological and epistemological awareness. Regarding the first, again Schrödinger took seriously the facts: as the survival of living beings is linked to learning by repetition, and the control of new processes gradually becomes unconscious with the consolidation of practice, consciousness is associated with the learning process of organ systems (not just humans).

His presence, both ontogenetic (in the individual) and phylogenetic (in this case) is therefore a symptom of the fact that learning is ongoing, and that has not yet achieved perfect control of knowledge necessary for survival: In other words, consciousness is the stigma of evolution is imperfect and still evolving, and not the medal to the value of higher education and development completed. From this perspective, organic life unconscious (eg, plants and animals) is at a level higher than that of evolutionary development of man.

An example of a phenomenon in the evolution of human behavior is perhaps the contrast between the desires (`` I want'') and precepts (you have to ``'') The conflict between the ego and the super-ego would in this case a demonstration of the existence of a biological switch in place, still developing, from one individual to the social (which can be regarded as successive stages nationalism and internationalism).

What I want to say?

I've read somewhere that there are scientists who think that "spectrum brain" is likely an "ancient brain". So we can have some problem with sensure overload and some gift like hyper-focus because actually we are more conscious than NT of what we are doing because basically we are less-able to elaborate things in a "mechanical" way and actually you can have only one thing on your attention at a given time. Also using the Stap assuption it can coincide with a greater consciousness. As reported by Thinker AS brains are less likely to suppress long scale impulses and with Stapp quantum mind theory it help consciousness.

I think I was a little chaotic, If the argument is interesting I'll go further :P

The whole quatum mind things is complete pseudoscience. Quatum mechanics works on the subatomic level, the brain is to large to be affected by it. It's just something psychics and the like use to "explain" their ablities in a scientific sounding way.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2009, 11:04 am

I have little desire to speculate regarding "ancient brain" or quantum mind theory. However, since you are a scientist you might be interested in Markram's Intense World Syndrome theory. His paper can be found at the link below.

http://frontiersin.org/neuroscience/pap ... 2007/html/