Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:02 am

I heard several people say comedians with aspergers are probably common or something to that effect.
I myself am a stand-up comedian and I have Aspergers
Dan Aykroyd said he has Aspergers. appearently his obsession is police work and his basement is filled with survaillance equipment and he carries a badge everywhere he goes.

Does anyone know of any other comedians who have Aspergers?

Are there any comedians you think are Aspies?

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2008, 12:19 am

I've always thought Mitch Hedburg was a little bit Aspie - because he kept his eyes shut and didn't look at the audience and his observations seemed so literal and Aspie-like. Also, he wore coloured glasses - so maybe a bit of Irlen syndrome too? I don't know, it's a wild guess.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:22 am

Knaidle wrote:
I've always thought Mitch Hedburg was a little bit Aspie - because he kept his eyes shut and didn't look at the audience and his observations seemed so literal and Aspie-like. Also, he wore coloured glasses - so maybe a bit of Irlen syndrome too? I don't know, it's a wild guess.

I never thought of that, but that makes alot of sense. I always thought it was wierd how he never looked at the audience. Aspies are also known to commonly use drugs too.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 12:30 am

I don't know if Robin Williams has it, he's defiantly adhd

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2008, 4:52 am

Knaidle wrote:

I've always thought so too. Also, his train of thought kinda resembles my own.

Also, the school counselor told me that John Stewart has AS. I haven't been able to confirm this.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 9:04 am

When you think about it, some of the absolutely funniest people I know are people with Asperger's. They have an insight into the world that really sees from another vantage point, and it's fantastic. Kind of ruins you for other people!

Kris

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 10:08 am

Does anyone think George Carlin might be aspie?
He dropped out of high school, he used to do alot of drugs. He is very clever and was really focused on words and wording for a while. And he has a unique twisted sense of humor.

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 10:45 am

Larry David, maybe? Lenny Bruce? Charlie Chaplin?

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:45 pm

I didn't know aspies could be stand-up comedians. I know for a fact im no where near socially enough to be a comedian. Plus my anxiety would be off the chart if I got on stage in front of everybody.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm

I'm actually good with bad jokes.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:26 pm

Brandon-J wrote:
I didn't know aspies could be stand-up comedians. I know for a fact im no where near socially enough to be a comedian. Plus my anxiety would be off the chart if I got on stage in front of everybody.

Yeah, I thought we'd be more likely to be sit-down comedians by trade, but stage anxiety can be controlled with practice. Apparently a good tip is to imagine that everybody else in the hall is naked, and it's meant to do wonders for controlling anxiety. I've never tried it though.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 6:51 pm

Hodor wrote:
Brandon-J wrote:

Yeah, I thought we'd be more likely to be sit-down comedians by trade, but stage anxiety can be controlled with practice. Apparently a good tip is to imagine that everybody else in the hall is naked, and it's meant to do wonders for controlling anxiety. I've never tried it though.
I just got so much practice to a point where being on stage isn't bad. I get really anxious when I'm waiting to go on though.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 7:41 pm

I have been suspecting Steven Wright is for a good while.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

Brandon-J wrote:

I'm an Aspie and have done stand up comedy too. I've also worked with a whole bunch of comedians and many of them are Aspergery to say the least. The unique view on life, amazing memory, and the obsessive picking over of a performance after a gig/facing people. Making small talk at parties can be far harder for me than being on stage in front of people. It's one of the strange contradictions of being an aspie.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 5:21 am

MsBehaviour wrote:
Making small talk at parties can be far harder for me than being on stage in front of people.

same here

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 6:03 am

How about Gerry Sienfield. I love how he can crack the jokes, and still keep a straight face. :lol: