Do you do things people tell you to because of an impulse?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 1:01 pm

I am like this all the time. It's almost OCD-like. For example, if someone told me to watch their goldfish, came by, dropped it off, and ran away despite me saying no, I'd have to. Even though if it died, it would be no big deal. I'd just have to take good care of it. I try and keep this quality of mine secret, so people don't ask me to do things.
Is anyone else like that? I take good care of others belongings when they're in my care. A lot of it is just because of that impulse thing. Like when you have to touch something hot for a designated amount of time. Its weird.
My mom isn't like this at all. She'd let the goldfish rot.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 2:35 pm

Well, in that example I'd feel obligated to care for the goldfish simply because it was a living creature who could not fend for itself. Normally, however, I tend to be extremely resistant to people imposing on me or trying to tell me what to do. Of course, ODD is part of my diagnosis, so I guess that's just me. :twisted:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 3:01 pm

Willard wrote:
Well, in that example I'd feel obligated to care for the goldfish simply because it was a living creature who could not fend for itself. Normally, however, I tend to be extremely resistant to people imposing on me or trying to tell me what to do. Of course, ODD is part of my diagnosis, so I guess that's just me. :twisted:

Oh yeah, that's one reason I'd care for the fishy, too. XD
Haha, really?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 4:57 pm

Yeah, I can be pretty stubborn. I think it's from growing up with parents and teachers trying to push me to do things that (because of the AS) I couldn't do. Back then, nobody had heard of Asperger Syndrome, so they just thought I was being intentionally obstinate and pushed me that much harder. As a result, I learned to just shut down when pushed and refuse to communicate anymore. When people try to push me or manipulate me into following their agenda, I will just stop speaking to them and/or disappear and hide somewhere until they go the f**k away.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 5:16 pm

Being the rebel that I am, if anybody tried to get me to do something, voluntarily, I'd stand my ground, and tell them, "No!" Other than that, I'm more than happy to help people out. I can be stubborn, if I have short notice, and the task is dumped on me.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:34 am

Yepper, And then go buy another goldfish if that one died. :?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:10 am

Yes I'm like that. I think it's because I absolutely hate letting anybody down. Even if I make a slight modification to what they requested, I'll worry about it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:17 am

A lack of planning on someone else's part does not constitute an emergency on mine. So no, I do not do things sprung upon me unexpectedly.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 8:08 am

I hate people who spring things on me. I need to prepare and plan for things mentally and something unexpected means I have to recalibrate everything and re-plan and I tend to freak out. Though with the goldfish I'd probably agree.. living thing and all that.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 1:23 pm

DaWalker wrote:

Yepper, And then go buy another goldfish if that one died. :?

Yeah, I'd probs buy another, if it died, too. XD

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2010, 2:03 pm

I used to never do anything if someone told me to, literally. If someone told child-me to do something, I wouldn't do it simply because I'd been ordered to. If I were bringing my dishes to the sink to wash them, and my mother said "wash your dishes!" I would deliberately leave them in the sink unwashed, even if my original intention had been to wash them. :lol:

As I got older, I was bullied a lot, and was in a pretty bad abusive relationship for a while in high school, so I was sort of trained to do whatever people told me to, for fear of making them angry at me. (Because of my ex, I got so used to thinking that if people tell me they love me, they could turn around and hate me the next day. Bleh.)

I've been doing therapy stuff and talking it over and trying to be more aware of how silly my assumptions are that everyone who loves me will suddenly hate me if I don't do what they ask all the time, so I've been getting better :P

tl;dr: Yes, but it's not an AS thing lol.

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2010, 4:44 pm

I will pretty much do anything if they say the magic words: Would you kindly.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 6:42 pm

I can't think of an example of when someone imposed on me like that so I don't know if I tend to do it or refuse. I would feed the fish though, but I probably wouldn't clean the bowl unless they were gone for a really long time. I hate cleaning fish bowls.

wendigopsychosis wrote:
I used to never do anything if someone told me to, literally. If someone told child-me to do something, I wouldn't do it simply because I'd been ordered to. If I were bringing my dishes to the sink to wash them, and my mother said "wash your dishes!" I would deliberately leave them in the sink unwashed, even if my original intention had been to wash them. :lol:

:lol: I used to be like that also. I recently read my diary from when I was younger and I wrote one night something like "it's 11pm and I was just about ready to go to bed and then my stupid dad came and told me to go to bed so now I can't go to bed yet because it would be like I was obeying him." :lol: I then rambled on apparently for an hour and a half because the entry ended with "and now it's 12:30am so I'm going to sleep".

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 7:24 pm

Screw you, do it yourself!

Unfortunately that does not work in the office. Work is a constant source of stress for me.

Yes a demand placed on me must be fulfilled RIGHT NOW! If it can't, I get frustrated. So I refuse, when I can.

I don't mind helping close friends and family, when I can, and if they don't ask too often.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 9:31 pm

never