Hearing everything, and inability to filter background noise

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 5:53 pm

I can't wear ear plugs or IEM's any longer as they hurt my ears and make me sick. But i am thinking of trying some custom ear plugs and IEM's. maybe some white noise like the wind blowing would help. i always like the wind.

http://www.jhaudio.com/collection-promusic.php#8

http://www.jhaudio.com/jha-gear-accessories.php#14

I cannot think at all with any noise but wind, maybe trains, rain, thunder... that sort of thing going on. i can't even fill out forms with too much noise going on. why is it that forms are always such a pain to fill out?

rai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2011, 12:18 am

I definitely have problems filtering out background noise. For instance at work there's so much going on sometimes that my brain just shuts down. It's embarassing sometimes, but it happens and I try to make the best of it. Worst case scenerio (which is usually at work) I have to ask the customer to repeat what they said, sometimes more than once. I find that when I'm in a situation like that were theres different noises coming from all different areas and I feel overstimulated and overwhelmed I tend to use my tongue as a distraction (yeah I realize that probably sounds strange....) I'll run my tongue along the back of my upper teeth and along the bottom teeth after the top, then I rub my lips together as if I put on chapstick, and I tend to (gently) bite the inside of my lip (or more like grasp it gently with my teeth) and rub my tongue along it back and forth. It's like I get so focused on that that it helps prevent me from feeling too overwhelmed. It doesn't always work, but it helps calm me down in a situation where I can't necessarily control the noise level. I really think it's more of a comfort thing.

At home I have to keep the tv quiet, even if there's nothing else going on (I also get overstimulated by loud noises). If I'm in the car I can have the radio on, but only if it's just me in the car or another person but only if they're not talking, if there's another person in the car talking, the radio has to be off completely.

As far as the cell phone, if I'm on the phone it has to be in an area with virtually no noise. If I'm home I go into the bedroom, shut the fan off and shut the door! And talking on the phone in public is terrible I hate it. If I have to do it, I will, but it's hard because I pretty much miss most of the conversation and ask the other person to repeat themselves a lot.

universeofone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2011, 12:29 am

Hearing is my least favorite sense.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 2:52 am

I definitely have problem with background noises. A few examples:

- At home I rarely leave the windows open for more time than absolutely necessary, because I don't like outdoor noises, it even observable when I play some music on my audio system, and the music should supposedly suppress the noise.

- At my workplace (like right now) my colleagues always make me listen to their cheap and bad sounding clock-radio all the working hours, without being empathetic with me, who is disturbed by it and consequently dislike it, not vice versa, as they may probably think of it.

- When there is high level of background noise, my hearing fails me, I have the same issues like others here, as I can't discern what is said, be it a cell phone conversation, or a spontaneous conversation at my workplace. Echoing rooms, noisy ventilation systems make it much worse.

Decade
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2011, 6:57 am

I sensitive to a certain group of noises. They don't have to be loud but when they get my attention, they distracted me and stresse me very much.
These sounds also have their take on my muscle stress, muscle tension.
When I'm completely relax, and some neighbour starts working in his garden with machines I feel the stress creeping on my muscles.
I often went ballistic when my mother used the vacuum cleaner.
If people talk or even text during movies I want to smack them ...
And if I need to sleep and I hear a "new noise" I will listen to it all night and get pissed.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2011, 9:56 am

I go in the job centre regularly to look on the notice boards to see if there are any jobs for me, and I use the touch screens to search for job vacancies, but every time I go on there people always bring their brats in there, and it sounds like a child's playground, more than a government building meant for adults to discuss important things. I can't hear myself think!

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jul 2011, 12:25 am

I work in a busy critical care unit. I hear everything. Our machines have alarms, most of them very loud. Phones are ringing all the time. My coworkers talk continuously. I am unable to filter out any noise and earplugs are not an option for me. At the end of my shift I am exhausted. I am very glad I don't live in Indianapolis which is very noisy. I am always glad to get home to my quiet rural home.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 6:28 am

I don't think anybody can hear with background noise. I was talking to 2 people yesterday at a market yesterday, and while one of them was talking, the noise of the atmosphere got louder, and the 2 people I was talking to started talking louder and louder because the background was getting louder.

Spork
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

I have this issue too and Auditory Processing Disorder ( dyslexic ears :D ), it often feels likes I'm hearing everything and nothing at the same time, I'm getting all the noise but none of the information, or I'm hearing a load of nonsense because of my APD. I quite often have to resort to lip reading, which I'm awful at. At home I pretty much live with a headset on, when I'm out and about I'm blasting my ears with music so I don't hear everything else going on around me. I hated class projects at school, you would be sorted into groups everyone is talking, you can't concentrate or pick up what they are saying. School was a nightmare, and works not much better. I've just struggled through it and try and hide my incomprehension.

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2011, 8:37 am

I have this; the louder the background noise, the worse it is for me.
It's one of the (many ) reasons I tend not to like pubs and clubs. other people don't seem to have any problem understanding others in what to me is an ear-splittingly loud environment, whereas I'm seriously struggling at somewhat lower sound volumes, despite my hearing being OK.
Like others on here though, I'll sometimes use loud music/noises of my own to drown out other unpleasant sounds when I can.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2011, 8:44 am

I suffer from this, and all my family know at some point and a couple of friends, my hearing is almost on a par with Clark Kent but whereas he can focus on just one thing, absolutely everything comes in and I cannot deal with it.

The way I got around that in a busy pub is just told one of my friends that I have exceptionally sensitive hearing and can hear everything with no filter and he adjusted his speaking tone to accommodate me, even though he sometimes lapses into a whisper lol

(Just on a sidenote, I once once walking down a street late at night and could hear a conversation going on over a mile away...must have been the clear air or something)

I think actually confronting the issue head on and telling people is the best way to go here...you do not have to tell them you have super hearing because they will not understand, just tell them you have an unusual ear that does not filter anything.

sanreny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2011, 12:39 am

This is especially tough when I am in a restaurant on the small side and the tables
are close and people are talking loud-after awhile I start to get very bad pressure in
my head and jaw which is very uncomfortable-I couldnt care less about the food I just
need to get out of that environment as soon as possible to limit the consequences-it totally overtaxes my brain-I think its as bad as someone who has an allergic reaction to something.
I may try the Bose noise canceling headphones but I dont know if thats a solution. Any ideas
on this.

Sanreny

Tjolk
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2011, 4:41 am

Same thing here,
I can't sleep without earplugs. It's not just loud noises. Sudden sounds get me upset, Radio, conversations, restless movements, they freak me out and It's getting worse.
I often play a CD with the sound of the shore on hawai . It's basically noise but is absorbs a lot of other sounds. If that's not sufficient I'll grab my earplugs.
I am so glad that I'll be leaving for the french countryside for a couple of weeks. Some cityfolks get freaked out by the silence out there but i just feel...at home.

AlastorX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2011, 7:46 am

I noticed it on a party my firm organized. Sounds mix in my head, lights distract me and it makes it extremely hard for me to communicate. It also drains my energy and I am usually the first one lo leave. I am not unsociable and I am not uninterested in communication... it's the inability to communicate effectively that makes me step down.
I simply cannot make sense of situation so I don't participate.

Davidlorenzo41
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

wisteria wrote:
I have this too, I'm certain I have CAPD. I don't hear human voices as being different from any other noise. It all becomes a blur. I even have trouble understanding a single strand of speech sometimes, again, because I think I'm hearing "noise" and not "message." The phone is difficult for me, if there's even a little bit of static, or if the person's voice is just slightly muffled, I lose most of what they're saying.

I have all of this too. I think noise filtering is a very common, if not universal, problem for aspies. This is one of the biggest areas that has made my job as a high school teacher problematic. If the students are doing an interactive activity and one of them asks me something, I have to get very close and have them repeat several times. Also, when I'm talking and the students need to be quiet, I hear the slightest noise made by students but can't tell where it's coming from, and then I melt down and can't function well enough to deal with it. If you have CAPD, stay away from teaching jobs. I'm looking for another line of work.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

I'm somewhat the same way. I have gotten better with this but if my mom is talking to me or my dad while I'm writing, I find it hard to filter out anything so I can continue doing my work. D: I also notice that it's the same time if I'm watching something or playing a game.

I get distracted easy by anything going around me that I lose sight of what I was supposed to be doing. The thing with me i that while I get distracted, I have a hard time also filtering out background noise that CAUSES distractions in the first place, if that makes sense.

It can sometimes drive me nuts and other times I am usually able to filter pretty good, depending on how much background noise there actually is.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive