Hearing everything, and inability to filter background noise

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

I'm somewhat the same way. I have gotten better with this but if my mom is talking to me or my dad while I'm writing, I find it hard to filter out anything so I can continue doing my work. D: I also notice that it's the same time if I'm watching something or playing a game.

I get distracted easy by anything going around me that I lose sight of what I was supposed to be doing. The thing with me i that while I get distracted, I have a hard time also filtering out background noise that CAUSES distractions in the first place, if that makes sense.

It can sometimes drive me nuts and other times I am usually able to filter pretty good, depending on how much background noise there actually is.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2012, 2:26 pm

Yes.
Music or conversation in the background makes it difficult for me to concentrate and understand the person talking to me.
I dislike shopping in stores where they play music on the tannoy. That just adds to the stress of the bright lights, crowded environment and wailing of children, which I find unbearable.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 2:36 pm

Oh, yes. I'm terrible for this. The easiest way I can describe it to other people is for them to take a video camera into a noisy café, record a conversation between them and a friend, and play it back when they get home. They start to realise what I'm up against then.

Lurch182
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2013, 10:16 pm

Hello, After reading the 4 pages of posts, I had to get in on it. I also have very good hearing and hear everything, my kids hated that. But it makes it very difficult in crowds or public venues because I am in a sense listening to everyones conversations at once. It drives my wife crazy because I have trouble being a active listener for her. I've had this problem for many years but never diagnosed or even understood. My wife and I just had hearing tests, to see if some or any of the new noise reduction hearing aids would help me. The doctor was amazed that I not only have the hearing of a child, but a young child. He assured me I didn't need hearing aids, but didnt offer any suggestions or diagnosis. Same as the last EENT. I'm not sure if I have tinnitis or I'm hearing "the sound of silence". But it is always there, sometimes when I'm under alot of stress, it gets really loud. We did notice that the "sounds, whistles, buzzing" was all in the high frequency range,the same range where sirens are. I was a paramedic/Firefighter for 25 years. Now I'm an ER nurse, still alot of noise, still struggling to hear over everthing around me. Anyone got any notions of any diagosis, or how to proceed? And, very light music at night is the only way I can sleep.

MaxBlack
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2013, 5:06 am

I have this all day every day or should say 24/7 as its sleeping with earplugs too. earlier in life I thought it was normal and everyone was the same until I found otherwise.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2013, 7:02 am

I can recommend the following:

UK ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161095659414? ... 1439.l2649

US ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flents-Ear-Stop ... 35ca6c75ae

They warm up and become soft and create an air/water tight seal blocking noise out. I can't sleep without them now - although I can often hear my heartbeat once I block out the external stimuli.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

I have it in my head that i was once able to filter noise (that said, i was mega scared by various sounds when i was younger). now, after years studying sound engineering at college - where a large part of the course involves active listening/binaural awareness and creating sounds based on environmental factors etc - i'm sure my brain is now rewired to listen to sounds from everywhere.

not saying this is a bad thing, but it sure has its disadvantages....

i'm not even aware of "over-thinking" my audio perception sometimes....

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2013, 4:37 pm

I definetly have this. If I'm on the phone and people talk to me I can't hear the phone conversation; if I'm playing Scrabble with mum and there is a ticking clock in the room, I can't get the noise out of my head; and my dad's TV which he has really loud (to me at least, noone else in the family seems to mind) gives me headaches and makes conversation with others in the house difficult.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 12:52 pm

ECJ wrote:
I definetly have this. If I'm on the phone and people talk to me I can't hear the phone conversation

i never understood why people on buses etc put a finger in one ear when on the phone as that just makes the phone harder to hear in the other ear, somehow...

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm

I have this same problem, I was wondering what caused this, informative thread, another personal mystery answered :)

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 11:16 am

Great thread. Ears tested - perfect hearing -- "But, doc, I often can't make out conversations if there is minimal background noise?" Doc's reply, "Then your problem is cognitive."

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 7:54 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
Great thread. Ears tested - perfect hearing -- "But, doc, I often can't make out conversations if there is minimal background noise?" Doc's reply, "Then your problem is cognitive."

IMO, wrong.

I have been diagnosed with this: Meniere's disease.

Standard hearing tests won't do it. You need to have your hearing for verbal sounds tested, with and without background noise. That is the only way the audiologist and then ENT doctor figured it out.

I'm not saying this is necessarily what your problem is (you'll notice there are other symptoms besides the hearing issues), but it might be worth looking into. I struggled with diminishing hearing for more than 10 years before it was figured out.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 10:19 pm

Same problem.

If there is other people talking, its not that i cant hear what the other person is saying. The problem is i can focus on that, if there is 5 people talking i hear in my ears the stream mixed with 5 voices.

Its so freaking annoying. not to mention frustrating.

Im not sure how other people can choose to not hear other noises. would pay a lot for that ability.

ayyadhero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2016, 12:13 pm

ahh!!i cant concentrate in any background noise s**t thing surrounds me..Its like making me crazy..with ears shut..People come to say im crazy..but how dude..Dude.. :x :x i cant..just cant..then im gonna freaking around like HULK angryly as you all f*****g disturb me!!!FUxk..

sorry guys...
just unleash what i feels..
just sorry...i need to..

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2017, 5:02 pm

sorry for necro the thread(i hope this is not againt the rules) but i had some experience to share. i had this problem since ever, but i was less sensible than nowadays and i became worst with the time. and theres a time few years ago that i was suspect that i had adhd without hyperactivity(i still believe i has but in comorbidity with autism) and my medic at the time(i tried some remedies for about a year)sugested ritalin for a few weeks. my sensibility to background was gone! its like i was not sensible to noises at all and i could do whetever i want without being distracted or anoyed but only when i was under the "effect" of the remedy. i believe that proof that sound sensibility it may be associated with a concentration problem, like my therapist said at the time. but i dont recomend anyone trying this remedy, is very dangerous and can ruin your health with the time because is too strong.

Special Interest: memes

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2018, 6:30 pm

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share.

Recently i've gotten even more sensitive to sound and I hear things very clearly. At night/early in the day for example when it's quiet around I hear the neighbours very clearly as they're talking or have their tv on and it disturbs me a lot but no one else in my family notice it so they think i'm just being weird or difficult. I really can't help what I hear though and I definietely think that I have an inability to filter background noise. For many years i've gotten horrible tension headaches from being around other people at school or in the bus because of all the noise and once at the bus I was very stressed, the bus was crowded and I was already in a bad mood and I got so overwhelmed by all the people talking and everything that I got a visual aura, started to see colors floating around and I started to panic and my head was pounding. I do not suffer from migraine.
It's starting to become really hard to deal with and I feel like most people do not understand or think i'm just being whiny and annoying. I also hate the feeling of earplugs so I don't want to wear them. I wear regular headphones but they don't really help much I still hear everything outside them.