is being physically SLOW an aspie trait?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:37 pm

velodog wrote:
Not necessarily, I tend to walk fast and try to get routine tasks done quickly.

you are also undiagnosed.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:39 pm

Actually being physically slow is a trait of autism especially when it's something you haven't done alot. Learning new skills, you will probably be physically slower than everyone else considered "normal" at first.

However, once you get the hang of it you'll probably get really good at it even better than your peers if you find yourself fascinated with your new skill.

RRguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 3:03 pm

You bet!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:05 pm

catspurr wrote:
Actually being physically slow is a trait of autism especially when it's something you haven't done alot. Learning new skills, you will probably be physically slower than everyone else considered "normal" at first.

However, once you get the hang of it you'll probably get really good at it even better than your peers if you find yourself fascinated with your new skill.

That's how it is for me.

toboo

09 Apr 2008, 3:21 pm

yes, certain things i can get a bit quicker at.

but, like, i feel like i touch type pretty well (i type dvorak - anyone else?) when i take typing tests, i come out slower than i thought i would.

i write rather nicely, but it takes ages.

when i took karate i drove the sensei mad because he just couldn't make my kicks faster - no matter how much he yelled. :roll:

i know that not everything is related to my aspie-ness, i was just wondering about it since it seems so pronounced.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:30 pm

toboo wrote:
yes, certain things i can get a bit quicker at.

but, like, i feel like i touch type pretty well (i type dvorak - anyone else?) when i take typing tests, i come out slower than i thought i would.

i write rather nicely, but it takes ages.

when i took karate i drove the sensei mad because he just couldn't make my kicks faster - no matter how much he yelled. :roll:

i know that not everything is related to my aspie-ness, i was just wondering about it since it seems so pronounced.

I hate it when someone screams at you while you are trying to learn something new. That has happened to me before as well and all it did was made me freak out and mess up. Later on after I was away from the person yelling, I was able to learn the task on my own.

Sorry you had someone screaming at you.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 8:12 pm

I was a fast runner when I was a child and used to be quite coordinated and athletic. However, I am not that way now. As I grew older, I concentrated more on academics and less on athletics. I do a lot of walking on my job, but it hurts my feet too much to run.

alphacent

09 Apr 2008, 8:25 pm

In my case, I would say "yes" to this question. I seem to have a stiffness in my muscles that tends to slow me down. I am slow in walking and in stooping.
When I was a Boy Scout (many years ago), I could not earn my Lifesaving merit badge because I could not take my clothes off fast enough (before jumping in a lake to rescue someone). And, at many of my jobs, I have been thought of as unusually slow in movement.

TheOtherDaughter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2008, 9:01 pm

I don't know about physically slow-if anything people tell me I walk too fast...but I've always been unusually clumsy with poor hand-eye coordination. I think I was 20 before I could make a catch for something thrown 10 feet away.

toboo

09 Apr 2008, 9:32 pm

oh, i'm a super klutz as well. i drop things constantly. i suddenly lose my balance and almost fall over. i have trouble navigating the first in a set of stairs when going down since the railing doesn't usually start high enough. if there's no wall or something next to it i really freak out. doorways alway jump out at me and hit my shoulder or head or shins.

Aacgectyuoki
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2012, 1:48 pm

I don't think that running speed goes with Asperger's. My friend from school has Asperger's. He is a slow walker, but a fast runner. He usually runs up the stairs and when he gets lunch.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:03 pm

Well I have lost jobs due to working to slow(even when I thought I was working quite fast)...and I seem to process things kind of slow so it might take me longer to respond to questions or comments people say. But I walk fast, and normally I don't run but I can run pretty fast when I want to catch the bus that's about to leave the stop for instance.

So yeah I am slow in some ways, but not others.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

I thought the opposite was an Aspie trait. I walk really quick all the time, and I like to do things quick without hanging about. I can't dawdle and be slow.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:25 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I thought the opposite was an Aspie trait. I walk really quick all the time, and I like to do things quick without hanging about. I can't dawdle and be slow.

lol for me its not dawdleing and being slow, my normal speed is just slow....give me some adderall or lots of caffeine or a really good sativa strain of marijuana with some metal turned up loud and I might speed right up, but that's about it other then that I walk fast and somehow manage to be slow about lots of other things.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I tend to sometimes walk very fast and speed ahead of other people....but in many other areas, I am very slow and fumbly...it does not help that I am constantly distracted...mentally.

Fumbly

Fumbly

Fumbly

Fumbly ........thank you for giving me a new favourite word.

I fumble my way through life, and it annoys people, I get things wrong, mixed up and arrive late, and I do most things slower than most people.

Having said that, I get to look at the flowers, and birds on my way across town,

and have the time to listen to unique ukelele shows on you tube ( thank you ms poopylungstuffing!) because I 'm not in a rush all the time.... !

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm

Yes, it's often pointed out to me that I move through the world at a very slow pace; I walk slow, I get in and out of the car slow and generally any basic movements that I perform every day. I can never keep up with anyone when we're walking, even if they are walking at an average pace.

I took Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years, and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, though my form was quite good, I was really clumsy in sparring, because I just couldn't move fast enough to evade opponents.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012