Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Lia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Its something i;ve found for a while now, maybe something that could be the reason for alot of discrimination against ASD people.
NT hate it when you point out good points of autism to them and the points that give us an advantage over them (for of course there are points that give them an advantage over us), for example alot of us having high IQ's or not having the need to follow social structures or having very logical minds etc. they get very touchy on the subject. for example this article-

http://www.experienceproject.com/storie ... e=timeline

I found it brilliant and in my opinion its very honest and truthful even if it is suppost to be a little cheeky i think its all right. yet i have had nt's claim it to be discrimitive. its interesting how many articles just like this one there are about aspies etc and no one bats an eyelid yet when its reversed its frowned upon. its not really fair how we have to be treated like lab rats and experiement guinea pigs yet in reverse its so taboo!

any one any thoughts?

lapinmort
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

Sure. Just a question: Why the need to describe what's wrong with other people if you are comfortable in your own skin?

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:47 pm

That's hilarious! I don't see why it's offensive, but I'm asking my Neurotypical friends just in case. Do your friends not understand satire? Besides, you're right about how the articles about Asperger's Syndrome are often written just like this.

I can see one possible argument about how it may be offensive: "Not ALL Neurotypicals have ALL of those traits!"
But this makes me remember all the articles about Autism, which overgeneralize people like us. How is that any different? If they have issues with that article, maybe they should revise the way they write about us.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:56 pm

lapinmort wrote:
Sure. Just a question: Why the need to describe what's wrong with other people if you are comfortable in your own skin?

I think the point of the article is to show Neurotypicals that they're being kind of rediculous by 1) assuming that we're the only ones with problems and 2) treating us like objects and writing semi-factual articles about us like we're not real people

TB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

I wouldn't take objections too seriously. Most people are not able to take an honest look at themselves and acknowledge shortcomings or the irony of their behavior.
Yes i am generalizing here, i honestly believe the majority of people on this planet to be dysfunctional. It should be painfully obvious how poorly we organize our individual lives and as an entire species. Yet whenever i try to point out things about society that could be done better almost always i will find hostile responses that have no argument. I now know better not to touch on these subjects and let them be. It really is like the matrix people are plugged in to the point where they will attack you if you try to ''help''.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

Celoneth wrote:
Autism does not give you a high IQ. Autism is an impairment. Acting like you are superior or something because you have a disorder just makes you look ret*d. Someone with cancer doesn't go around being all "oh I'm better than you because I'm sick." I realise that you have a mental disorder so you may not understand that society doesn't like people who act like prats and need to make up some ridiculous "I'm smarter because I have a disease" but that's just how it is.

I agree there is no need for someone to try and act superior to someone else. BUT, can Autism give an advantage to some people on the spectrum ? Can it ? I'm not just referring to savants, either.

In my opinion, the reason that the scientific community is having problems trying to 'define' Autism IS because within the spectrum of disabilities there exist a spectrum of abilities THAT exceed Non-Autistic performance.

Imagine a person who was considered as being disabled because he could NOT walk YET he could run, and run with world class speed. This is Autism manifested as a physical disability.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR36jrx_L44[/youtube]

TheSunAlsoRises

questor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 7:04 pm

Good and funny article. :lol: There's a lot of truth to it, too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D