Are you always the first person to notice something?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2008, 9:20 am

It's weird. Do you think us Aspies are the first ones to smell someone's farts?(I'm not joking.) You hear something and others don't.

Do you wait until someone says something about the smell before you do? Just so you don't come across as strange?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:03 am

I'm usually the first to notice that something is wrong (say, that people have filled in the wrong column in a list that's being handed around), and I point it out immediately.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 11:29 am

I may notice, but sometimes I'm not aware of anything being wrong or unusual, if you know what I mean. And then I look like an inattentive fool. Yay, me!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:49 am

I wouldn't say I'm the first to usually notice, but I do notice a lot, maybe more than the average person.

People have laughed at me for not noticing things before, I've noticed that. :wink:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:50 am

Depends. I notice grammatical or spelling errors immediately. Television newscasters drive me crazy with them.

When I was a small child, All televisions were vacuum-tube types, instead of solid-state and microchip like today. Anytime a television was on, even if the volume was turned all the way down, I could hear a high-pitched whine (very faint, but always there) coming from the set, even if I was at the other end of the house. I was in my twenties when I happened to mention this in a small group of friends and discovered that only one of them knew what I was talking about. Apparently this sound is above the normal range of human hearing. I'd always assumed everybody heard it.

On the other hand, I can drive by something every day for two years and not notice it until it's pointed out to me.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:59 am

My standard reply when I smell things that no one else can is, "Well, you will in about 10 minutes!" I have no idea why I have this super sense of smell, although I have heard it is a common Aspie trait.

It is not fun, either, because I can smell everybody's fabric softener, hand lotion, hair products, and every other fragranced layer on their bodies, as well as the more personal things that nobody wants to smell. :eew: The intensity of these smells, which no one else seems to be aware of, gives me headaches and nausea.

On the plus side, I am the one who can smell oil or gas leaks, fire and smoke before the alarms even go off, so I'm kind of handy to have around. Also, I'm an amazing cook ( :oops: not meaning to brag) because of my sharp senses of taste and smell.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:28 pm

I feel that way. I'll notice the hint of sarcasm in one's words to another and yet the other person carries on as though they didn't hear that. When I bring it up it's usually a "No they actually said that?"

Yes, farts drive me crazy and make me ANGRY :evil:! !! So does bad hygiene although I try not to say anything about it. Who knows, they probably ran out of hot water. I don't know however, if that's a trait to aspergers.

I am real sensative to sounds and I've heard the same complaints on this site, so I think that's definitely an AS trait. I wish there was a cure for it. It can be extremely annoying. :x

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:39 pm

lol--hiliarious thread. I could say OTFLMAO (but that's too crude). Instead, I'll comment on the reality of f's in our house: MY two older sons would NEVER do such a thing. My youngest, diagnosed with an ASD, absolutely:

my son gets a rise out of passing gas frequently and without remorse. I'm almost positive it's genetic --his grandfather is one of these too.

I read somewhere (irish lit maybe?.james joyce weird enough to have alluded to it)--that passing gas or belching reminds you that you're alive and gives you a healthy perspective--brings you back to earth so to speak. Is that weird or what?

I laugh at f's. I can't help it. It's in my genes. If it happened in a funeral, I'd be mortified because I'd have to stop myself from laughing. I come from a family that laughs and cries at the same time. We are strange this way.

equinn

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm

equinn wrote:
I laugh at f's. I can't help it. It's in my genes. If it happened in a funeral, I'd be mortified because I'd have to stop myself from laughing. I come from a family that laughs and cries at the same time. We are strange this way.
equinn

Well...the sound is funny, because of the horrid odor it implies. The odor itself, not so much.

http://www.sound-ideas.com/pullmyfinger.html

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:39 pm

Willard wrote:
When I was a small child, All televisions were vacuum-tube types, instead of solid-state and microchip like today. Anytime a television was on, even if the volume was turned all the way down, I could hear a high-pitched whine (very faint, but always there) coming from the set, even if I was at the other end of the house. I was in my twenties when I happened to mention this in a small group of friends and discovered that only one of them knew what I was talking about. Apparently this sound is above the normal range of human hearing. I'd always assumed everybody heard it.

We used to live in a really big apartment, and even if I was in my room, I could hear the whine of the TV set in the living room when, say, my father had watched a videotape on the auxiliary channel and then forgotten to turn off the TV because the screen went black as soon as he switched off the VCR.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:33 pm

"Well...the sound is funny, because of the horrid odor it implies. "

I've never heard f's referred to quite so eloquently--funny.

thx for the laugh.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

I sometimes notice with sounds, but it's definitley with smells. My mom loves to say that instead of becoming a librarian that I should become a human bloodhound instead. I'm also going to be the one in the room that notices when a small light comes on or goes off.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2008, 8:37 pm

I see things before others and notice small things that others never would, it can drive people barmy. For instance im on holiday at the moment in the Cayman Islands and although its been a couple of years the effects of Hurricane Ivan are still around, and im a photographer. Im in the car and literally every other minute or so I'll be saying look at that, look at this, did you see that, wow! Look! Can we go back to that, can you reverse a second? I need to go back and take a picture of that etc. My family try to keep me talking but it doesn't work, im always looking at the floor picking up 'treasure' as well, buttons, shells, anything that interests me. It makes walking anywhere slow.
Im always asking about smells as well but mostly visual things and things I touch.