Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:47 am

Probably significant, along with the fact that he borrowed the term "autism" from Bleuler who used it to mean a particular trait found in people with schizophrenia.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 9:14 am

I would guess that because Kanner wanted to present unifying features in the autistic children he described, so that they were not merely a collection of weird behaviours, he chose "extreme autistic aloneness" and an obsessive desire for sameness.

I imagine it as if the traits of each child were each a strand of wool of different colours and shades, with the two traits mentioned in the previous paragraph being say dark green and light blue respectively; so that if all the strands were formed into a ball those two colours would predominate and from a distance the ball would be those colours, with the dark green probably being more noticeable.

Although he quoted the children's parents as saying things like their offspring were happiest being alone, that does not mean they wanted to be alone all the time and could not show affection. My parents would have said that I was happiest being alone when I was a child, but that did not mean that I did not sometimes enjoy interacting with them and my siblings.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:02 am

Odin wrote:
I am very often oblivious to my surroundings, and even my own body. It's one of the reasons I recently took up meditation, to train myself to be aware of the present moment in a raw, experiential way instead of being lost in my thoughts.
QFT
I worry about getting lost in my thoughts and not being able to find my way back for a few hours.

GizmoGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2008, 2:10 pm

I enjoy to be alone. I mean totally alone..Like now writing this my uncle has the tv on really loud in the other room..its driving me nuts! When i want to be alone I dont want to hear anything , peoples voices,music,tv, nothing it all starts to get to me. I like being inside of myself and just exploring my inner self more then I like to be out in the so called "real world".
I like people, but only certain people. IE: my family or my husband, but even at times i dont want to be touched,talked to or anything just the want to be left totally alone. I funcition best when im like that. I enjoy my "me time".
I can remember when I was younger my folks would always yell at me to stop daydreaming and listen, used to drive me crazy. Now I notice if im in a social situation if I just let myself be and dont focus I find myself in a floating type of feeling( if anyone is into BDSM its like being in "sub space") and it isnt until i realize this feeling that I knew I went back into myself. :D
I dont understand the big deal that many doctors or parents make of this behavior we are not harming anyone. Does it really matter that everyone acts the same?? I think it would be a boring world if we all looked,acted,felt the same way all at the same time. :roll:

~"S&M is an art. Doing it well requires more than a bag full of expensive whips and ropes, a closet full of fetish clothes, or a basement filled with bondage furniture." De Sade~