Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2017, 6:27 am

Hi. I've possiby written about this before but I often find any sensory sensitivity difficult. Mainly it's sound (I will go in depth soon), lights can be difficult especially in the dark, smells are not so bad, i don't like touch and taste can make me quite a fussy eater the majority of the time.
The main issue as stated is noise. This actually stops me from doing a lot of things. I feel when I'm in a room full of people talking my head spins and spins because I cant keep track of the conversations and this leads me to get really anxious and really upset and I don't know what to do about it. I know that people have noticed it and they just don't care about anyone (because sometimes asd isn't visible, people can be so selfish when your physically in pain from the sounds they just won't stop) any suggestions would be great
(Sorry about my grammar I'm really sick and tired)
Thanks

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 11:27 pm

I only try to keep track of one conversation at a time. If I have to ask for 3 consecutive sentences to be repeated due to noise, I give up, shrug, gesture at my ears and leave.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

I will avoid social gatherings because of thenoise and the smell. All of the perfumes that people wear.

If I force myself to go to something social, I find that I totally shutdown and am not safe to drive because my senses are overloaded and cant see stop signs or lights.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 9:45 pm

Sounds--Especially noisy streets, people talking too loudly or at the same time, sirens, car alarms. My sons know I can't process both of them talking at once, but it's sometimes a problem with other people. My wife suggested earplugs for public noise, but then I'm anxious about what I'm NOT hearing--plus I hate the way they feel (see "textures" below).

Smells-- Smoking, perfumes, people with bad hygiene. I was in the shampoo / deodorant area of a pharmacy the other day and had to leave because of the excessive perfume / dye smells. My wife said she didn't smell anything--not less, but nothing at all.

Textures--Certain "normal" foods, like cucumber, are absolutely disgusting just because of texture. Also, any clothing the least bit scratchy or rough, such as wool. Slightly loose shoelaces have to be fixed immediately, no matter what else is happening.

Bright lights--This can make it hard to drive at night.

The hardest thing is to understand that these things wouldn't greatly bother 95% of people, so the people doing them aren't usually being as obnoxious as they seem to me .

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2017, 1:16 pm

I absolutely in no way can handle bass sounds. Like when cars play booming loud music, or if the TV is too loud, or if there is an event going on nearby with loud music. I can't concentrate, I can't think, I become angry and irritated, and I just stop functioning and go full meltdown if I can't get away from it. It caused so much strife during my times living with my family because my brother looooooved loud music and using a subwoofer. I could never understand why I couldn't just get used to it or ignore it. I'm married now, and my husband thankfully understands it and will turn down the TV if I ask him to. My stress levels have gone way down since I moved out.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 1:51 pm

My sensitivity to sound soars when I'm sleep-deprived. Then it goes into positive feedback.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2017, 4:41 am

* Too many loud noises or a loud TV can make me tired, and I usually have to go to sleep. I don't know why, and I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else. Screaming toddlers make me very tired, too.

* Sometimes when I'm in a shop or anywhere else like that, everything looks blurry, like there is too much to see. It's hard to focus on much, and I can't always hear properly. It is worse when it's busy or when I'm tired, and when I haven't been anywhere for a while. I can get a nervous feeling, too.

* Some types of clothes tags make me itchy and they are annoying, so I have to remove them with an unpicker.

* Some sounds make me feel cold, and I get a weird taste in my mouth when I hear them. The sound of denim or other material being scratched is one of them.

* When there is a light on that wouldn't usually be on/isn't needed, it annoys me and makes it hard for me to concentrate properly, so I either turn it off or leave the room.

* Some video games make me feel sick and/or get a headache, and I used to only be able to play those ones for about 15-30 minutes (I haven't tried again for a while). The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess was one of the worst ones for that. I always felt weird when I played it.

* I used to hide the hairbrush when I was little because it hurt when my mum brushed my hair. Getting my earrings changed used to hurt if anyone did it but me, too.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 5:22 am

I consider sound to be my only sensory sensitivity, but I believe it's a severe impairment. Unfortunately it borders on impossible for me to learn anything from listening to something or someone. I am terribly forgetful and my levels of distractibility are remarkably high. I often have to shut myself in my room to hear myself think, and even then it can be a struggle. I hate my wiring.

Conversely, I believe I am undersensitive to touch and smell, which might explain why I used to be known as a "hugger" and seldom detect when something is burning.

Last edited by JakeASD on 20 Apr 2017, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 6:02 am

Ahh, yes, Scent. My nose only seems to work about one day out of a month. I ask my friends to not be shy about mentioning things I should take care of.

creepycrawler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2017, 8:18 am

This might be a dumb question, but have you tried asking them to quiet things down? If you don't want to disclose ASD, you could make up something about your ears hurting from an infection or something.

And if they don't care about other people in pain, are you sure these are people you want to be spending time with?