Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 5:44 pm

what do you do to avoid over stimulation from light bulbs late at night? they stress me out and cause insomnia

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 5:57 pm

I don't use lightbulbs.

My house is candle lit, or else I have little dim nightlights in the hallway sockets.

Sometimes I use a little string of fairy lights.

If I'm reading a book, I'll just put the fairy lights on my lap.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 6:15 pm

interesting. do the candles have little houses ? :D

are the nightlights bright enough so you can see?

Last edited by jimmyjazzuk on 06 Jun 2023, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 6:17 pm

im looking at amazon for soft lighting options. I really need to fix this for quality of life

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 6:30 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
interesting. do the candles have little houses ? :D

are the nightlights bright enough so you can see?

I'll take a pic when it's darker.

They're enough that I can navigate in the hallway.

I don't keep lights on in any of the rooms if I'm using my laptop. That's enough for me to see where I am. If I'm not on my laptop I use string lights (there's some around a couple of my windows) just in that one room. Lots of my normal-sized lightbulbs have been replaced with the colour changing ones from Phillips but I seldom use them because it's a waste of electricity. I do have some "normal" lightbulbs screwed in, if I really need to see something, but again I almost never put them on because they give me a headache. I keep soft white Christmas lights plugged in at my washer / dryer so I can see which buttons to push doing laundry and I don't need to plug anything in when my hands are full with clothes.

I use hurricane lamps with candles or even battery-operated fake candles of different heights / sizes from the dollar store.
I don't watch TV so that cuts down on eye strain too, but also reduces my electric bill.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 6:37 pm

a hurricane lamp for outside would be nice instead of my burglar light thing thats very bright

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 6:38 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B ... B1A2&psc=1

something like that might diffuse the light enough for it not to be overwhelming..

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm

Yes, those are nice. My daughter had one in Uni. You can change the colour of the bulb too. Go with something yellowy rather than white if it's not colour-changing. I don't have those in my house now because my cats would likely knock them over, so I try not to have anything electric or corded on the floor.

Also check that the bulb won't be visible when you stand up, or even from a seated position. I'm sure it wouldn't for that style but some of the "mood lighting" bulbs are exposed from lampshades or don't have covers at all, and that really hurts my eyes.

I forgot to mention I also wear prescription tinted glasses indoors. I can't stand anything white and they cut down on the whiteness of things, even in the day.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 6:49 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RXG54MZ/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1VMD3OYB995G8&psc=1 this too

Oh wow, I haven't seen that style at Ikea before. Very cool, if you know how to install wall lights (I don't).

Maybe search them on YT and someone will show them at night.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 7:04 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes, those are nice. My daughter had one in Uni. You can change the colour of the bulb too. Go with something yellowy rather than white if it's not colour-changing. I don't have those in my house now because my cats would likely knock them over, so I try not to have anything electric or corded on the floor.

Also check that the bulb won't be visible when you stand up, or even from a seated position. I'm sure it wouldn't for that style but some of the "mood lighting" bulbs are exposed from lampshades or don't have covers at all, and that really hurts my eyes.

I forgot to mention I also wear prescription tinted glasses indoors. I can't stand anything white and they cut down on the whiteness of things, even in the day.

I have that exact problem withone of my lights, its dimmable but the lowest setting is too white and it doesnt have a top cover so light is exposed at top

Is there a code or something which says if its yellow light rather white? hmm or can you just see?

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 7:06 pm

My head explodes when I'm exposed to unnecessarily bright lights lol (feels like it) The lights of the convenience store behind us throw enough light to light up our living room, if there's no curtain over the back slider. Can cast crisp shadows on the back of the house. Drives me up the wall. I have 3 little spots in the backyard that I mapped out where I can stand without being assaulted by the lights. 3 spots.

I prefer night and/or cloudy days. That star we whip around is so f-n intense, it's unbearable most times.

Light.

Ugh.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 7:12 pm

Most lights make me feel nauseous, migraines and exhausted!

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 7:25 pm

Ill have a look around some charity shops for some dark and tall lampshades that i could put on a cheap Wilko lamp base too. (British cheap home store)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 7:33 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I have that exact problem withone of my lights, its dimmable but the lowest setting is too white and it doesnt have a top cover so light is exposed at top

Is there a code or something which says if its yellow light rather white? hmm or can you just see?

Yes, the Kelvin chart. It's on most standard lightbulb boxes here.

https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-which- ... ture-.html

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 7:39 pm

Avoid LED because they don't glow outward from the bulb. It's only the bulb that lights up. You'll notice they barely cast any colour into the air or on the wall unless they're designated downlights.

Here we can only buy LED and it drives me insane. The colour-changing bulbs aren't as bad but the red is always pink and everything is washed out or unsaturated. It's really hard to get decent, real red that isn't LED, anywhere these days. Red is my favourite.