I think I'm starting to hate being autistic

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:03 pm

I have a hard time taking MW99 seriously.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:12 pm

MW99, stop with this nonsense about "true Aspies." We aren't interested in McCarthyism or with-hunts here, so if you want to hunt out the "fake Aspies" I suggest you look elsewhere. I'm DIAGNOSED Asperger's, and yeah, I would like to have a girlfriend at some point in my life, and at least a couple friends. I can survive without those social relationships better than NT's, but that doesn't mean I spurn them entirely.

atari2600a wrote:
Ever watch The Big Bang Theory? That show made me feel ALOT better about myself! :P

I definitely see myself in that show.

Roygerdogger: Don't worry, life has its ups and downs. Right now might be a "down" part, but it will get better. My life at 16 sucked, now its better. High school is rough, but it only lasts for a while.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:17 pm

Orwell wrote:
MW99, stop with this nonsense about "true Aspies." We aren't interested in McCarthyism or with-hunts here, so if you want to hunt out the "fake Aspies" I suggest you look elsewhere. I'm DIAGNOSED Asperger's, and yeah, I would like to have a girlfriend at some point in my life, and at least a couple friends. I can survive without those social relationships better than NT's, but that doesn't mean I spurn them entirely.

I wonder if mw99 is really someone from autism speaks who thinks they can speak for others and claim they know everything about an autistic mind. Sometimes mw99 comes across as someone who is giving insults under the guise of trying to find himself. :roll:

28 Apr 2008, 10:35 pm

Mw99 wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:
Here's why:

I nearly have no friends/totally suck at social skills.

True aspies are ok not having friends. True aspies don't care about social skills.

Quote:
I can't always keep up with my schoolwork.

Unrelated to Asperger's.

Quote:
I can't get a girlfriend.

True aspies wouldn't care about not having a girlfriend.

Quote:
Nobody understands me and my personality.

We think we do.

Quote:
Also, if you were at my school, they don't seem to like people me :(

..and some other stuff I'm not really in the mood to tell about.

True aspies don't care if people don't like them.

True aspies?

I am realizing why some aspies are finding that offensive. You're implying he doesn't have it. :evil:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm

Mw99 wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:
Here's why:

True aspies are ok not having friends. True aspies don't care about social skills.

Quote:

Unrelated to Asperger's.

Quote:

True aspies wouldn't care about not having a girlfriend.

Quote:

We think we do.

Quote:

True aspies don't care if people don't like them.

I think I am a true aspie. Despite what others think here, it seems I can often predict things many here will feel/say based on my feeling the same. :D

At one point, I WAS ok with not having friends. I am not that way now though. :cry:

The boredom, difference in ability, and interests CAN affect schoolwork.

GEE, I liked the idea of girls/women even when I was a very young kid. Who said AS had ANYTHING to do with that!? 8O

We probably understand one another BETTER, but not perfectly.

And WHO wouldn't want friends? Of course, as I said, a few pretty women wouldn't hurt either! :wink:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 11:59 pm

Just FYI, it's actually stereotypical for people with Asperger's to desire friendship and companionship, just like everyone else.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2008, 12:06 am

catspurr wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I wonder if mw99 is really someone from autism speaks who thinks they can speak for others and claim they know everything about an autistic mind. Sometimes mw99 comes across as someone who is giving insults under the guise of trying to find himself. :roll:

Mabe, but don't give him too much credit for that, he mostly just strikes me as someone who becomes bitter and imature easily when he doesn't get his way. He's throwing a tantrum. I'd be more sympathetic if he didn't take his problems out on innocent people. Taking over a kid's thread and using his topic and problem to sarcastically make a point about something else is the act of someone who's angry and desperate for attention.

Roygerdodger, contrary to mw99's unhelpful sarcasm, your problems are common in people with AS. That's what distinguishes it as a disorder, unfortunatly. Also I haven't much advise, but I do understand your situation and I know the lost and helpless feelings it can cause. For me, I'm not necessarily at my happiest when I have the most friends, but it is nice to feel accepted. The thing is, most school age kids only do the whole dating thing to feel validated and to look normal to thei peers. Just because your not acting like everyone else right now doesn't mean your more likely to end up alone than any of those other kids. For most kids, dating someone isn't a search for the right person, it's a show for the most part. Don't fret about it so much or you'll miss out on the other fun things. If you learn how to be joyful about even the most simple things in life, when the right person come along you'll be irresistable to them.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:02 pm

Wow. This thread reminds me sooo much of all the NTs I knew in high school who were obsessed with being normal and popular and gossiping and sniping at each other. Sheesh. :roll:

I'll be in the back of the class with my sketch pad when you all grow up.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:04 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
Here's why:

you're sixteen. Even NTs have those problems at that age. Give it time. You'll be fine. :)

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2008, 12:13 pm

I went through some really rough times at high school as well. Im sad you feel this way now, but i also know it will get better. People grow up eventually, and though it may feel like hell right now, it will pass. Good luck and try to keep your chin up! :)

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:15 pm

exactly :D good luck. :D

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:14 pm

Specter wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:
Here's why:

you're sixteen. Even NTs have those problems at that age. Give it time. You'll be fine. :)

They do, but most 16-year-old NTs I've seen can manage to have at least a few friends, and they don't seem totally confused when it comes to social situations. I remember being 16 and going through similar troubles- if everyone else was struggling as much as I was, they were doing a damn good job of hiding it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:39 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

True aspies?

I am realizing why some aspies are finding that offensive. You're implying he doesn't have it. :evil:

Which, in this context, is complimentary, since the OP said s/he thinks s/he was starting to hate being autistic. :idea:

Quote:
Here's why:

I was nearly the same way when I was your age. I had nearly no friends. No social skills. I didn't have a girlfriend. Nobody understood me or my personality (actually, how can I know for sure, given that I'm not a mind-reader?). And most people at my school didn't seem to like me. But I never had problems with my schoolwork.

Fast forward 10 years. I have nearly no friends. No social skills. I haven't had a girlfriend. Almost nobody understands me or my personality (nowadays there is more awareness of autism and autistic-like behaviors). Most people at work don't seem to like me, but at least they don't seem to dislike me, either. And I can't always keep up with my work.

There you have it.

Last edited by Mw99 on 29 Apr 2008, 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 8:46 pm

Mw99 wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

True aspies?

Which, in this context, is complimentary, since the OP said s/he thinks s/he was starting to hate being autistic.

:tardgasm:

29 Apr 2008, 9:14 pm

What's tardasm?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
What's tardasm?

tardgasm has been described as "inappropriate behavior or an exaggerated, inappropriate burst of joy. " Frankly, to me, it seems to come across as a stupid word for reveling in something insanely stupid.