Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

totallyconfused
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2011, 7:10 pm

Hello, I recently joined here. This is such an awsome website.
Anyways the reason I am here: I believe I have AS.

I actually just recently learned of this in my science/english class. We were studing different medical things I guesse like this. My group learned about AS by researching on the computer and reading the book House Rules by Jodi Picoulti. Not sure if you have heard of the book. Anyways it went into a lot of the characteristics of what it meant to have AS. And I felt like a lot of those were me.

Now of course I am just a teenager. I really belief I have this. So I want to tell my parents. But before I do I want to know all the facts and make sure before I just claim this.

I would like to know more about the traits and characteristics or I guesse what it means to have AS. Sorry the wording is a little messed up. Is there like a check list? Not really sure how to say what I am asking but hopefully you sorta get it.
Second how do you get diagnosed. It is not like the type of thing where they can run certain diagnostic tests and get an absolute scientific result. So how is it determined?

Thats all for now. Any answers are appreciated. Thanks.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 9:17 pm

Hello!

This is a good one to start with: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

totallyconfused
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2011, 10:12 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I took the quiz twice and got similar results:
first time
yes 139/200 no 47/200
second time
yes 146/200 no 44/200
both times I got most likely an aspie
I thought it was a good quiz. The wording of some was a bit confusing though.

This has been helpful and more thoughts would be great.

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2011, 10:36 am

there is no absolute scientific result, and no absolute tests. it varies from person to person and the diagnosis is usually based on a lot of questions about your past and just examining how you act in social situations and such...
I personally don't see much reason for a diagnosis unless there is specific help that you know you could get accommodations for work or school. this is just my opinion though. I dont know how your life is so its kind of hard to even guess if a diagnosis is worth it. it can be very costly depending on where you live to even get a diagnosis.
if you have any other questions feel free to pm me