Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

How do you know if something is OCD or AS? I was diagnosed with OCD 8 years ago at 14 years old and have recently just had aspergers mentioned to me by my counsellor who I started seeing for anxiety/depression. I definitely still have traits of OCD, though to be honest although I'm pretty sure it was an accurate diagnosis, I'm starting to wonder if a lot of my so-called OCD is actually AS. I don't always have the typical OCD cycle to my compulsive behaviour; I don't tend to feel anxiety, then perform a compulsion to relieve said anxiety. I just feel I have to compulsively do things in a particular way. If I try not to do them it doesn't make me anxious, just very stressed.

I also have quite an obsession with eating disorders, in particular, anorexia nervosa, which I actually had at 13 years old and still have issues with eating/weight now. It does sometimes wane a little but not a great deal. I tend to spend a lot of time on my laptop watching youtube videos, reading articles etc. on eating disorders. Could something like this be OCD because I guess the thought is there to do these things and then I compulsively engage in doing them? Or is it more of an AS kind of thing? I sort of feel like when I engage in it, it's kind of like a 'fix', sometimes it does my head in a but because I know that it's probably not normal and it's preventing me from engaging in other stuff but I can't help it. The thing is though, with most things I take a particular interest in, I tend to get a bit obsessed with but I don't ever gain the encyclopaedic knowledge those with AS apparently have. I think I probably have more knowledge than I think and more ability too, as people often tell me but I have a severe lack of confidence which I think holds me back massively.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:18 pm

OCD =

You have an obsession in your head that you don't like (anxiety producing)

You do a compulsion to ultimately help alleviate the anxiety [to some extent]

Obsessions and compulsions can vary widely, but the underlying cause and effect is the same.

Obsessive behavior in AS manifests as an intense interest in a subject that you devote most of your time to, and you like doing it (and you have various levels of difficulty doing things outside said area of interest). Interests can change, but there's generally just one at a time.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 3:41 pm

Kirstie04 wrote:
If I try not to do them it doesn't make me anxious, just very stressed.

Dear heart, "anxious" and "stressed" are the same thing.

While I do believe that people with AS do often exhibit some traits that appear on the surface similar to OCD (and may experience it as a comorbid condition), full blown OCD is in fact, quite different than AS. Having known a few people with OCD, I recognize patterns in your post that are very indicative of OCD thinking, as well as a touch of ADHD. :nerdy:

Of course, I am not a Mental Health Professional, therefore unqualified for making official diagnoses. :study:

benh72
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2013, 5:45 pm

AS will give you obsessions which may change from time to time. OCD will be an obsession that will continually draw you in.
Obsessions from AS can be just an exceptional interest in things, hobbies, subjects, or people.
OCD is more about having an obsession and a compulsion to behave in a way that is not normal, which has no logical reason, or that is disturbing, or is used to self soothe and alleviate anxiety, such as overdoing it when checking the house, car or workplace is locked, or checking the mailbox numerous times, washing your hands more times than you get them dirty or exposed; basically any behaviour you do that you engage in more times than is logically necessary.

If you have concerns about OCD it may be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor, counsellor or psychologist.
There are also books available to assist you.
Most people with ASD seem to have obsessions that can drift into OCD territory, but usually full blown OCD is much harder to control, and requires concerted effort, training and often therapy, whereas ASD obsessions can be transient, as we go from one "special interest" to another.
Whatever the case, if your behaviour is upsetting you, best to seek assistance so you can either work out a strategy to alleviate the behaviour, or alleviate the worry about the behaviour.
Really only an independent third party will be able to help you work out which is the problem, the behaviour or the worrying about it.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 7:29 pm

I usually view OCD as situation or object specific and AS as more of attn to detail or 'perfectionism'.
I had a friend with OCD about his front door deadbolt lock, he would stand there and lock it and relock it a couple dozen times when leaving.
BUT he wasn't that way about his back door lock, or his window locks, or his car door locks, or rolling up his car door windows, or his car ignition, or cupboard doors that don't even have locks or seating the top part of the toilet lid several times, further and further afield that it can get, like an aspie would be likely to be.

It was just his front door deadbolt lock, not hardly even the doorknob lock, but apologizing all the while.
An aspie might not even notice that so many of their behaviors 'look' obsessive.

If you're OCD about "everything" then it's probably not OCD, imo.