What are physical health problems that go with Asperger's?

Page 10 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 3:51 am

I have type II diabetes (insulin dependent and insulin resistance)(injecting NovolimR and Lantus. My blood sugars are still not under control)
Hypertension (taking atenolol and lisinopril/HCTZ)
High cholesterol (taking niacin and fish oil capsules)
Anxiety
Bipolar I (2.5 mg Viibryd, which I'm weaning off. The fish oil puts me in a better mood)

Allergic to penecillan, all statins, actos, avandia, precose, Prozac, Effexor, amitryphine, citalopram, buspar, Viibryd.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 6:58 am

Meistersinger wrote:
I have type II diabetes (insulin dependent and insulin resistance)(injecting NovolimR and Lantus. My blood sugars are still not under control)
Anxiety
Bipolar I (2.5 mg Viibryd, which I'm weaning off. The fish oil puts me in a better mood)

Allergic to penecillan, all statins, actos, avandia, precose, Prozac, Effexor, amitryphine, citalopram, buspar, Viibryd.

Are you in the UK?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 8:12 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
Anxiety

Are you in the UK?

I am in the U.S.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 7:02 am

Meistersinger wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
Anxiety

Are you in the UK?

I am in the U.S.

Ok, it's just that i saw an advert in a newspaper on Friday asking for people aged over 50 with type II Diabetes to take part in research, but it's in the UK

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2014, 12:34 pm

elliechoir wrote:
It appears to me that very few medical problems are directly linked to Autism but the main problem is the STRESS
which we experience a lot more of! And stress leads to fatigue, anxiety and depression. That can lead to a lot
of other physical problems like heart disease, eczema, obesity, and even diabetes.
Stress releases hormones like noradreniline which cause fat to be stored around the waist apparently and the
raising of blood glucose, which leads to all these health problems. I read that 1 in 4 americans has this going
on - it's probably even more since the financial crash! It's not just Aspies!

Relaxation techniques have to be the way to go - working them into our daily lives.
Yoga, - I've got a tape I put on, with soothing music, you just do what she says and feel good about yourself,
ending with a snooze, in the corpse position! Fab. But swimming, meditiation, - try a few until you find the one
that works for you
- computer games are the main thing for my Aspie partner when feeling overloaded.

I agree, and I like the way you summarized this. I do think finding a way to relax is critical....I'm still searching though. :lol:

Mirror21 wrote:
I am not sure if autism spectrum disorders can be related straight down with physical ailments but I have noticed a great deal of us have digestive problems.

Yes! What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Eric2971 wrote:
Although still in its infancy, there are an increasing number of studies which are finding common health issues associated with HFA/Asperger's.

From the American Mental Health Association WebSite:
"Medical Complications: Many clinicians are unaware that as much as 60% of the Autistic/Asperger?s population may struggle with rarely diagnosed chronic gastrointestinal problems. Harvard Medical School is currently organizing a national research project and database to better track, diagnose and teach physicians about the seriousness of these intestinal endopathies and malabsorption conditions. Symptoms of these conditions include: poor sleep, being awake at odd hours of the night, pale skin complexion, dark circles under the eyes, fatigue, chronic gas, constipation, bowel pain, irritable bowel syndrome, reflux, and nausea. When these conditions are not adequately treated children can show anxiety, hyperactivity, inability to relax, fatigue, anger and irritability, confusion, forgetfulness, odd giggling, or worsening of sensory integration symptoms. Associated conditions include: Celiac Disease (inability to digest gluten (a protein found in most grains)), Crones Disease (difficulty digesting food fiber), Malabsorbtion (difficulty absorbing vitamins, minerals, and other components in food), food intolerances (e.g., sugar, dairy, wheat, gluten, or soy), yeast infections (that only manifest themselves inside the body), poor liver and kidney function, and epilepsy (rates as high as 25% with onset in adolescence)."

In addition, there was a study recently done on Hypercholesterolemia and Asperger's . "AS subjects showed significantly elevated levels of TC, LDL, and TG and significantly lower levels of HDL compared with controls". And elevated cholesterol, combined with the more common issues of anxiety and depression result in a higher incident of Coronary Artery Disease and hypertension among the AS population.

This is very interesting. See my prior comment.

nessa238 wrote:

1. Have you ever broken any bones in your body? NEVER

2. Have you had cancer?
NO, though I smoked like a chimney from age 26 - 45. (I have a very addictive personality)

Besides being diagnosed with IBS, I have always been exceptionally healthy and athletic (albeit clumsy).

However, medical issues I've suffered from, in the order of their appearance, are:

Breeched Birth
Low Birth Weight
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Severe Ear Aches until age 7
Severe "Growing Pains" in pre-pubescent years (deep throbbing/aching in my legs that made me cry for hours)
Anxiety
Fatigue (chronic)
Astigmatism
Hearing Challenges (though ear doctor says I don't need a hearing aid yet)
Achne (ages 13-33)
Situational depression
Anemia and Vitamin D Deficiency
IBS

There are a couple other things, I prefer not to mention. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE

Last edited by EmeraldGreen on 09 Aug 2014, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2014, 12:58 pm

astaut wrote:
Someone probably already mentioned this, but I didn't read the whole thread. There is a correlation between AS and low cortisol levels, which can be classified as adrenal fatigue....adrenal insufficiency if they are low enough. It can feel like chronic fatigue which some of you have mentioned.

I have:
adrenal insufficiency
chiari malformation
chronic migraines
and possibly vasovagal syncope. I just have poor health in general...doctors have told me I have tachycardia and hypersomnia as well, but I don't really count those.

Thanks for bringing up this correlation. According to the test I just took on:

http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/take-the- ... tigue-quiz

I may currently suffer from "severe" adrenal fatigue, too. Many of those symptoms seem to cross over, but I guess that's because they are stress-related. Does taking Cortisol help?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm

Me:

Allergies (esp. to dust and pollen)
Prone to sinus infections and ear infections
Mild asthma
Heart murmur
Tremor
Scoliosis
Low back problems
Migraines
Muscle weakness
Digestive problems
Menstrual problems
Hormonal imbalance

I haven't had a complete physical in over 16 years so who knows what else I might have that I don't know about. But whatever is wrong with me has been pretty much the same since I was a child (except the menstrual/hormonal problems which just keep getting worse as I get older). I'm just not very physically robust. I feel shaky a lot of the time and get out of breath very easily. And I have spells where I suddenly get weak and dizzy. I have to rest a lot or else I crash physically into total exhaustion. I think I may have some undiagnosed or unknown developmental problem.

nessa238 wrote:
I don't have any health problems - I've always been very physically healthy in fact. It's mental health problems like anxiety and depression I've had the most of.

In fact I have a theory that perhaps Aspergers/Autism might be an attempt at an evolutionary solution for some illnesses e.g cancer

Also, I've never broken any bones in my body and thought perhaps the 'autistic'-type genes/'genes that cause me to be the way I am', are protecting me in some way.

Autism might confer some kind of bodily advantage in the way Sickle-cell Anaemia confers protection from Malaria.

So it would be useful to know, of people diagnosed with autism/Asperger's Syndrome:-

1. Have you ever broken any bones in your body?

2. Have you had cancer?

Super interesting theory. No to both.

I also seem to be very resistant to things that are contagious.

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2014, 2:30 pm

dianthus wrote:
Me:

Allergies (esp. to dust and pollen)
Prone to sinus infections and ear infections
Mild asthma
Heart murmur
Tremor
Scoliosis
Low back problems
Migraines
Muscle weakness
Digestive problems
Menstrual problems
Hormonal imbalance

I haven't had a complete physical in over 16 years so who knows what else I might have that I don't know about. But whatever is wrong with me has been pretty much the same since I was a child (except the menstrual/hormonal problems which just keep getting worse as I get older). I'm just not very physically robust. I feel shaky a lot of the time and get out of breath very easily. And I have spells where I suddenly get weak and dizzy. I have to rest a lot or else I crash physically into total exhaustion. I think I may have some undiagnosed or unknown developmental problem.

nessa238 wrote:
I don't have any health problems - I've always been very physically healthy in fact. It's mental health problems like anxiety and depression I've had the most of.

In fact I have a theory that perhaps Aspergers/Autism might be an attempt at an evolutionary solution for some illnesses e.g cancer

Also, I've never broken any bones in my body and thought perhaps the 'autistic'-type genes/'genes that cause me to be the way I am', are protecting me in some way.

Autism might confer some kind of bodily advantage in the way Sickle-cell Anaemia confers protection from Malaria.

So it would be useful to know, of people diagnosed with autism/Asperger's Syndrome:-

1. Have you ever broken any bones in your body?

2. Have you had cancer?

Super interesting theory. No to both.

I also seem to be very resistant to things that are contagious.

I almost never get sick. I have wondered whether my "superimmunity" may relate to my mother's Multiple Sclerosis in some way. She almost never gets sick either. Signing off for a nap now. :lol:

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2014, 2:50 pm

Recent studies have shown that nearly EVERYTHING is more common in autistic people. Except cancer, thank God. I think the most common are GI problems, sleep problems, allergies, and low muscle tone.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

Read the thread in my sig. It details a lot of the physical health problems.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2014, 12:11 pm

I've been diagnosed with fibro/CFS, IBS, mild asthma and interstitial cystitis.

Self-diagnosed with POTS.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm

I have several physical ailments:

Severe chronic migraines
Tics
Visual processing disorder, strabismus and anisometropic amblyopia
IBS
Persistent tachycardia
von Willebrand's disease
Thermoregulatory dysfunction

Was also born premature, severely underweight, 60% deaf and unable to maintain my body temperature (necessitating me being in an incubator for a month after being born).

Apparently some of my problems are genetic.

I also have mental health problems, but they're not physical obviously (schizophrenia, OCD and anxiety)

darkotics
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2014, 6:55 pm

Well I have

Sensorineural hearing loss
Have tested positive, then negative for nonspecific autoimmune disease
Mortons toe as another poster stated
Tmi
Fibromyalgia
Tilted pelvis
Large forehead
Ibs/constipation
Intolerance to refined sugar, refined processed foods
Heat intolerance

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2014, 7:47 pm

My symptoms
-IBS
-Peripheral nerve hyperexcitability (or neuromyotonia or Benign fasciculation syndrome, whatever floats your boat ). It is basicly all your muscles twitching 24/7/365. It only goes away on one of your limbs if you use that limb. Sometimes these twitches trigger sensory nerves aswell, giving me so much pain i just have to cry. The Days after i've had alot of stress are really bad. Turning psychological problems into physical symptoms is a pain!
-Lactose intolerance, i'm the only family member who has this??
-Caffeine allergy, yep.. drinking 1 liter of redbull each nightshift caused me to puke my guts out everytime i drink cola, coffee, redbull.. even eat chocolate.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 11:13 pm

Colitis controlled enough it s probably IBS these days. Basically I don't have the enjoyable bowel movements people speak of and have to eat a lot of bland /plain foods. I order everything with no toppings/ nothing on it

These are not exactly health but more slight physical limitations
The fastest I can go down stairs is at walking speed. I can not run down stairs at all. It has always been like that. It's part of generally poor motor coordination.
Speech mumbling,jumbling at times. It is becoming more of an issues as I deal with more older people with hearing difficulties.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

dipperd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2015, 4:48 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I have hypoglycemia, but it runs in the family. My mom and my grandma both also have it.

Hopefully, you have wisened up in the past five years, cause your post suggests that hypoglycemia runs in the family but Aspergers doesnt... Which, OF COURSE, is a RIDICULOUS assertion as it CLEARLY DOES, as I am AT LEAST a fourth generation aspie