Do you ever throw out "excuses" when someone asks

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Stealth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2008, 12:01 pm

you to do something that involves having to talk to people? I don't like the fact when my parents tell me to do something that involves talking. For example, just now my dad wanted me to take his dog to the vet. I would, but I just hate the fact that I have to talk to the vet. This happens to me whenever I go to a store I just walk around and when I want to ask a question about something, I don't. I just wait until someone comes up to me and asks me if I need help. Just now my dad starts telling me on how I talk to alot of people. I told him to name one person and he couldn't. This is so frustrating.

/Rant

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 12:06 pm

Yes. Which is why I prefer online shopping, turfing errands to non-AS partner, and caller ID. I rarely speak to people on the phone unless I'm the one who calls them. In fact, I hate talking on the phone most of all.

Stealth

25 May 2008, 12:09 pm

Same here. When it's a private call or a number I don't recognize, I don't answer the phone.

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2008, 2:25 pm

All the time. Calling my doctor, dentist, vet... Whatever takes explanation and talking ill try to avoid.

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2008, 2:38 pm

I actually like talking to people other than my family (sometimes I get the opportunity to talk with my Mom's sister on the phone, which I actually like), since I've pretty much heard everything my family has to say, since they're so predictable.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 3:02 pm

I have to listen to myself when I talk on the phone, I have to hear myself through a headset or I can't 'hear' what I am saying. (I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else?) I have to have that constant feed back resonance, and I need it to keep track of what was said in the convo. Cell phones, I detest. one receiver phones are just as bad.

I spend 38.75 hours a week on the phone, it is my job. I do well because I don't have to see their faces, no language of any sort other than words, and I am a master of words. They have to operate in my world and I am in command - benign dictatorship of course- but firm command all the same. My secret is double earphones with a voice mic. I heartily recommend them!

Merle

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2008, 4:06 pm

Stealth wrote:
Same here. When it's a private call or a number I don't recognize, I don't answer the phone.

Me, too. They can leave a message, if it's not a solicitor.

And I'd generally rather send an email than make a phone call.

But don't call me for no reason, "just to talk." I won't know how the hell to deal with you, what I'm supposed to say, etc. You'll end up doing most of the talking, and I'll say "uh-huh, really, yeah" until I find an excuse to get off the phone with you. Having kids are real handy that way. ;) I can always say I have to feed/bathe/otherwise tend to my son if I want to end a conversation.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:22 am

I try and avoid it. I would rather text or email if I can. But sometimes I am good about talking to people.

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2008, 1:54 am

For me, it's telephones and mail. I do everything I can to avoid them.

Last month, my 6 y.o. had eye surgery. My parents took her, my wife, and the baby to Charleston for the surgery. They were gone for a little over 48 hours, while i stayed home with the other two kids. It was very psychologically disjointing to me till *her* parents arrived during the second day.

Anyway, when she got home, she asked if there were any phone calls.
"I dunno" (which, in my language, means, depending on tone, "I really don't want to answer"; "I have to think about it" or, rarely, "I don't know")

So she goes in the kitchen. "There are twenty messages on this machine! YOu've been home for two days and you've never checked the machine???"
"I've been home for two days and I've never answered the phone."

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 2:40 am

GodsGadfly wrote:
For me, it's telephones and mail. I do everything I can to avoid them.

Last month, my 6 y.o. had eye surgery. My parents took her, my wife, and the baby to Charleston for the surgery. They were gone for a little over 48 hours, while i stayed home with the other two kids. It was very psychologically disjointing to me till *her* parents arrived during the second day.

Anyway, when she got home, she asked if there were any phone calls.
"I dunno" (which, in my language, means, depending on tone, "I really don't want to answer"; "I have to think about it" or, rarely, "I don't know")

So she goes in the kitchen. "There are twenty messages on this machine! YOu've been home for two days and you've never checked the machine???"
"I've been home for two days and I've never answered the phone."

Whenever I don't feel like answering the phone and they leave a message I usually listen and erase the message then tell my mom or dad what they said.