Do you show your teeth when you smile?
Yes 32%  32%  [ 30 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 95

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:02 pm

I used to show my teeth (not intentionally, it just happened naturally) upon smiling, but since my teeth started to fall apart (and I had to have several extractions), I'm too embarrassed to reveal them anymore. Actually, it now hurts my face (the muscles) to smile & I'm not sure why. Sigh.

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2008, 6:11 pm

no. simply feels unnatural to do so

Manfrednissley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2008, 6:22 pm

think of this icon :D when i smile normally. it gets bigger when im laughing. actually i walk around smiling. in fact im not sure i can frown well. :lol:
in the old days when my teeth were bad i was told to "STOP SMILING"! it used to freak everyone out.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 7:23 pm

I used to smile really big back in the day when my teeth looked better and they were all there.

Nowadays half my teeth have fallen out so to save myself the embarassment I just smile with a closed mouth.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 8:08 pm

samantca wrote:
No. Its very rare that i show my teeth when i smile.

Same here. I can't smile on command, like for pictures. Some days it feels like I physically can't smile, like the muscles in my face just aren't working.

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2008, 9:01 pm

I didn't answer the poll because I wasn't quite sure how it meant. When I "intentionally" smile, I show a lot of teeth, and people say I smile weird. When I pose for photos now, I grimmace, and people say I have a nice smile.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 10:17 pm

Avengilante wrote:
Showing teeth feels like a posture of aggression to me, very feral. I know other people do it, my mom's easy with the flashy fake smile, but that's just what it appears to be to me - fake.

I agree. the smile is fake, but the reason it seems fake to us is because it is flashed like as a signal to others in many and varied shades of meaning. It is the Social Iceberg that we only see the tip of. Deep underneath is the blue ice you can run up on and tear a whole in your boat for sure!

That flash of smile is to disarm you to let them know they are there. The smiler wants you to mirror their social greeting and that is the one they have used in greeting to other nts that is perceived as warm and welcoming and has been used many times with other nts and it gives a the person smiling wants to have us mirror in ourselves the feeling they want you to have . . the 'warm fuzzy' that dazzles those with mirror neurons that like them think they are paying you off by incurring that feeling in us and can be very puzzled that you are not responding to her but caught up in her social expertise it never occurs to her our reaction is something other than our just being rude by laying bare the very bone of her social practices by rejecting us. But they are not aware that we don't feel the feeling so much, we don't get the 'warm fuzzy' they are supposedly sending;

not that we would want it if we did, perhaps!

we only see the obvious action and perceive as fake because we are not into the social payoff of the interchange.

Avengilante wrote:
I think the lopsided grin is about the most expressive expression of approval I ever give, unless you can make me laugh out loud, which is rare.

I love to laugh out loud. Especially if something is classicly ironic!

Who else laughs at inapproriate places in a movie? In movie houses with only several other people there, if that?

Merle

yes!

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2008, 10:45 pm

My dentist suggested I could have my teeth whitened, but I realized that it would be a waste of money, since I rarely show my teeth while smiling.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 2:02 am

No.

Stealth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2008, 3:23 am

My smile looks really un natural. It's like Christian Bale for example he never shows his teeth when he smiles. It all depends on the person. It just looks natural on some people.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 10:38 am

Mouth wide shut topic

I have never liked my toothy grin. I just iwden my lips and scrunch up my eyes. That will have to do. :) Smiley smiles nice, eh?

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 1:35 pm

Yes, but I look really stupid and goofy when I have a big grin because of the shape of my lips, eyes, and cheeks. I have narrow eyes (not Asian-looking, though) that look "squinty" when I smile. I have a small mouth with a naturally "sad" look when relaxed. I have large fleshy cheeks that seem to contribute to my squinty eyes when I smile. It wouldn't surprise me if the Norwegian population my ancestors come from has a significant amount of Lappish/Sami blood, since a lot of people on my dad's side have the same "look."

Zzzzeta
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2008, 6:13 pm

No, I just can't make myself smile on cue. I'm always deadpan in photos unless something is making me laugh.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2008, 6:40 pm

I just learned to smile with my teeth for pictures last summer, and I'm eighteen. When I was a child I'd smile so wide the muscles in my neck would bulge, and when I became a teenager it felt so wrong I just didn't do it. It still feels wrong but it looks good in pictures so I do it.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2008, 7:33 pm

I smile with teeth rarely; I prefer to smirk, or smile without opening my mouth.
Smirking, ah, such a fun facial expression.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2008, 7:33 pm

No but I show them when I laugh