Do you have a hard time translating thoughts into words?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Meril
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2014, 10:54 pm

I have this problem sometimes and other times the opposite. It depends. Would elaborate but, well...... :wink:

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

All the time, doesn't matter if it's talking irl or writing online it's pretty much the same.

minorityreport
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm

holatrimph wrote:
I often have a very hard time putting thoughts into words when i'm talking to people.. especially when my brother and me get into arguments over rather ridiculous things, my mind just goes blank even though I have a very well put rational view of the whole situation, I just can't express it words when talking. I seem to be vastly better at written language than communicating or talking.

I have this problem too. Makes it very difficult to convince people that you're smart for some reason. :roll: It's worst when the word I say is a similar sounding but very different word from what I thought. I've run into some issues ranging from innuendo to full-blown misunderstandings because of that.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

If I'm talking about something I love and adore: NO. I am difficult to shut up.

If I'm (being forced to) talk about my emotions: YES!! most definitely. I have a very stunted ability to express how I'm feeling at any given time. I'm "good," "sad," "happy," "disappointed," etc. The next question is invariably, "Why?"

Answer is nearly always, "I don't know. I just am."

Ces
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

I have always had a problem with this. People have always said I have "A way with words" when writing because when writing I can take my time to write down my thoughts and use all of the words I want to use. People are surprised at this because when talking I try to translate the words from my mind in to speech and constantly stumble over words because my speech can't keep up and eventually think "f**k it, I'll put it simply." I usually put this down to the fact that I do several times as much thinking than talking.

?I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience.?
― Cha

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

I often have moments where a specific word will escape me, right at the time I need it most. I'll be rambling about something, completely focused, only to become confused after briefly answering an unrelated question. When that happens, I often start describing what the word means I'm trying to remember, only to be given multiple synonyms or closely related words. Finally, I'll usually give up, going off on a different conversation. Then, at the most annoying time possible, what I was originally thinking immediately pops into my mind. A good visual reference would be the character of Dug, from the Disney film "Up".

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 5:03 pm

I have a hard time putting words together to express concepts.
It's easier to describe the way something looks.
I have a difficult time using some words with abstract meanings and have to look them up again, no matter how many times I have looked them up before, to make sure I am using or understanding them correctly.
This post took a long time to write, as do all my posts, because my thoughts just don't automatically come out of my mouth or a keyboard in precise, neat little sentences or paragraphs. it takes a lot of work.