Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2013, 8:52 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone diagnosed with an ASD could answer the following questions. If your not diagnosed, please feel free to reply too, but please mention that your not diagnosed.

As a child, could you pretend play? (to any extent)
As a child, could you create fictional stories? (to any extent, or was it just not possible?)

As an adult, can you create fictional stories?

By stories I don't necessarily mean a story as in a book, but also can you create and share a fictional scenario with someone.

Is your long term memory good and do you consider it to be better than others?
Is your short term memory good and do you consider it to be better than others?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 10:10 pm

Yes to all questions.

Except the last two- also "yes" that I have a good short/long term memories.

But "better than others?" - I dont know.

Never thought about how mine compared to others.

Am an officially dx'd aspie.

Deity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm

Short version: yes to all

I severely limited the friends I played with when I was a kid, and sometimes I had to fake play to try to get the few I had to stay friends.
As a kid, I did have a very active imagination, and I still do (I am 19 years old).
The memory questions are very iffy; I tend to remember things from early childhood, and I can reliably repeat 7 digits of numbers backwards. However, I struggle to remember directions and certain events that happened a long time ago.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 10:19 pm

My experience is yes to all, though that response is somewhat subjective and lacks any formal scientific proof.

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm

-Yes, though mostly by myself, I had trouble pretending with others.
-I could after a lot of thought, I often asked for extra time to write short stories in school.

-Yes, it comes easier now, but it can still be difficult to organize my ideas into a comprehendable story.

-I often remember things I don't even try to remember, such as a specific/approximate call number for a book at the library where I work, or that "Rango" is DVD number 850 and "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" is DVD 412. I also remember the colors of the covers of books more often than their names, and if I had shelved it that day. I have barcodes memorized, such as 481091001180103 is for in-house paperbacks and 481091001185089 is for VHS checkouts. I tend to function as a biological card catalog when the computer/internet based one goes down. Sadly, I do very poorly at math and I'm often dyslexic when it comes to numbers and have to look at it several times to make sure it is correct. I'm terrible with people's names and faces too.
-My short term memory is more susceptible to interruption, often asking a person a question they had just answered moments earlier whenever I have to answer the phone or something. It is probably above average if I can keep focused on it, but otherwise it is rather poor.

Overall, I'd say my memory skills are pretty average, but function in specific ways that make them abnormal. I am not currently diagnosed, but I am seeking a diagnosis.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm

As a child, could you pretend play?

No, not possible. I didn't pretend play or try to pretend play.

As a child, could you create fictional stories?

No, not possible. I didn't create stories or try to create stories.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes for some things, e.g. pictures, music, random strings of numbers and letters.

No for some things. e.g. speech.

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2013, 11:12 pm

MrJosh wrote:
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone diagnosed with an ASD could answer the following questions. If your not diagnosed, please feel free to reply too, but please mention that your not diagnosed.

I'm in the process of being assessed, but I'm not diagnosed currently.
MrJosh wrote:

I could a little bit... but I didn't do so very much, and when I did it was usually in a fairly passive way. I could sometimes contribute ideas, but couldn't comfortably act in a manner that differed significantly from my normal behaviour. I was also much more interested in making things and figuring out how things worked than I was in pretending anything.
MrJosh wrote:
As a child, could you create fictional stories? (to any extent, or was it just not possible?)

I could, but usually had a lot of difficulty starting. Once the basic idea was in place I could elaborate on it and add detail quite well, though. I could work with hypothetical scenarios quite well too, but needed a starting point and a direction to work in first.
MrJosh wrote:

By stories I don't necessarily mean a story as in a book, but also can you create and share a fictional scenario with someone.

It's still much the same as when I was a kid... I have trouble starting off, but once the basics are worked out I can elaborate on them well. So yes, but I have a lot of trouble getting started.
MrJosh wrote:

Better in some ways, worse in others. I pick up information easily and remember things clearly long after they happened, but have trouble recalling information when it doesn't follow my train of thought.
MrJosh wrote:

It's probably about average.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 11:16 pm

MrJosh wrote:

By myself yeah, of course. With others involved, no not really very well.

Quote:

If you mean author fiction, no not really. And If I did, it was probably in the form of plagiarism rather than coming up with something completely on my own.

Quote:

Same as above.

Quote:

If you mean do I know how to make stuff up, sure. But even that usually involves borrowing from others.

Quote:

Based on comments I've received from family members, my memory is exceedingly sharp. And much sharper than theirs in recalling events.

Quote:

No. I'm very absent minded. In this case it's others who surprise me by remembering something I said a couple of weeks ago, that I had completely forgotten about. I also have to be constantly reminded about things I've discussed with others. But once reminded, I usually have total recall.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 12:52 am

When the neighborhood kids played house they included me but they always made me be the baby.
When my brother and I saw leaves blowing on the sidewalk we called them walking leaves. If they were broken or torn we put them in a walking leave hospital. I loved that game.
I created an imaginary horse because I could not have a real one.
Those are the only pretend things I can remember. I liked my dolls. I carried them around and displayed them but I didn't do any pretending with them. mostly I liked to make things or play with building toys or color.

No. Not possible.

No.

No.
I'm editing this to say I can do this if it involves solving a problem. My imagination is geared toward solving problems and making connections.

My long term memory is selective. It's only good in that I can remember things from a long time ago as far back as my babyhood.

My short term working memory is very bad.

Last edited by Marybird on 16 Apr 2013, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2013, 1:58 am

Professionally diagnosed.

Yes, though integrating with the pretend play of others not so much.

To an extent; I could imagine vivid bits and scenarios but I think they would be too fragmented and incongruous to call stories. I did struggle with creative writing in school.

I'd say its pretty much the same now as it ever was.

Very good semantic memory, almost non-existent episodic memory.

Quite poor.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 6:34 am

MrJosh wrote:

As a child I could pretend to be an animal, or a samurai. But I didn't play games like "mom and daughter" and such.
So I guess I could pretend play to a certain extent.

I could. My stories were quite good actually. But I could only write sci-fi, horror or fantasy stories.

I still write them now.

My long term memory is excellent. I can rememver even things that happened long long ago.

But my short term memory sucks. I often forget what someone has said to me just after a few seconds, I can forget where I've just put an object, and so.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 6:50 am

in terms of pretend play, I am forever reminded by my family that when I was young I pretty much lived in a fantasy world and told outlandish lies all the time.

This faded off as I went through junior & primary schools but I do wonder these days if that would have been related to ASD

Any thoughts?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 9:14 am

Yes to all except the short term memory one.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 9:58 am

I'm officially diagnosed.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, when I'm provided with a prompt.

Yes, and yes.

My short-term memory is garbage.

Hope that helps.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

Yes to all except the short term memory one-my short term memory is crap and my stories aren't very original either-after a while I realize they're a rip off of books I've read.

EDdit: Also I played pretend by myself almost constantly but the couple times I tried to/had the opportunity to play pretend with others I wasn't able to....I couldn't think of what happened next or what my character should do so I just froze. When I played on my own it was based on the stories I read, mainly. It wasn't word for word what happened in the books though. I think I just couldn't improvise.

Last edited by daydreamer84 on 16 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

MrJosh wrote:

Yes, to some extent, but clearly limited. Acting out things from fictional books, playing the character, not making up new stuff is what I'd do.

Quote:

Yes, to some extent. Again, clearly limited. I needed to for school. I know how much more difficult it was for me than others by comparing me to others. I struggled here and people didn't realize how much because I got good grades.

Quote:

If someone gives me a character I can play how that character would act. I can do roleplaying games. That's about what I'm limited to.

Quote:

Yes, problematically so.

Quote:

[/quote]

It's better than average.