Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JamieRose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jul 2008, 2:54 pm

I just started watching it at 12:30 p.m. The guy with Aspergers was talking to someone with cerebral palsy. I was excited when he said he had Aspergers. I was also excited when he got to meet Heather from ANTM; she's awesome! I need to see the whole show again when I can.

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:47 pm

after watching that show no disrespect and mad propz to Rian for having the will to self-improve........ but its no suprise now why alot of us come off as gay if thats how lispy we sound. I know my voice can sound like that sometimes.

without hearing anything about "aspergers" guarantee 100% of people viewing thinks hes gay.....

tk777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2008, 4:50 am

i loved the episode. In case you missed the show this website TheMadeSpot.co.nr has the full episode for download. I think everyone should watch it

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 3:09 pm

Episode was ok, before he said he was Aspergers, I kinda knew and guess what he was. I also suspected he might be gay, like hes in the closet. I used to like made, now I cant watch it as much cause its always about the "loser" wanting to be "cool".

Its always because of the lack of self confidence of why their not "cool". Especially when it comes to the girls that become made. Its soo common for the girl to start out was geek or tomboy and guess what being more girly and feminine makes them find themself and have more confidence and be more likable. What kinda message is that sending to kids and teens? Sorry got into a tangent.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:18 pm

That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...it was actually kind of cool.

I got a little bit sad at one part, though, where they were asking kids at his school what they thought of him =( He's a lot better at talking to people than I was, I can only imagine what kids must've said behind my back :cry:

Maybe my gaydar's busted, but I don't get why everyone keeps describing him that way :? I don't notice a lisp at all, and he seems to have a pretty heterosexual attraction towards girls.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:15 am

My problem with shows like Made (and makeover shows in general) is that they go for the easy, quick ready´for´tv changes instead of deeper, permanent ones. It's kinda sad because you see them soo changed in soo little time, but it's very clear that the change they need is of a different nature. For example, today I was watching "Ten Years Less" were they were making a 22 year old girl a makeover. She went to a dermatologist who put botox around her lips so she wouldn't have an angry look, and then she went to the "cosmetic" dentist, who made a smile design for her (so she wouldn't have to use a retainer anymore), but I could see clearly that what she needed was orthognatic surgery, which would have changed her smile, her "angry look", would have taken years off of herand would have solved the underlying functional problems she had (and would have left her even prettier and natural, to the point of not needing make-up to look pretty). But of course, it would have been a long process, and it's easier to have something that takes 10 days to do. That's why I cringe when people go to the plastic surgeon as soon as they see a physical "flaw" in them, instead of looking for structural problems first.

These kind of shows are really encouraging the fast food culture - you don't have to make efforts or be patient or anything like that, take the short cut -it doesn't matter if it's done right. It only has to look right while everybody's looking. But going through a long process has advantages: when you have a real changing process that takes time and effort, you can assimilate it and get used to it better, and you're inspired to make even more changes, so you end up being a lot more improved than you thought you would be. Treating self-steem issues by putting a girl on a nice dress and teaching her to walk on high heels is like painting a wall in order to "solve" the cracks on it (and in the process, changing stuff that doesn't need to be changed in the first place as well).

I've only liked two Mades: the one of the guy who wanted to be made into a high school graduate - I mean, the mere concept is heart-breaking in a way, and that's one change that could really be made in a matter of months, about something the guy really needed to change and will accompany him for the rest of his life; and the one of the girl who didn't know what she wanted to do after high school (it ended up with her going to comedy school - which was an obvious choice given her personality) because it's also something that will really define the rest of her life, and more than a maekover, it was a career assesment that she did need. I'd like to see the one about the kid with Asperger's though, just to see how it went.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:55 pm

hadapurpura wrote:
I'd like to see the one about the kid with Asperger's though, just to see how it went.

The change he wants is to enter into the school's talent show and prove to kids that you don't have to be a jock to enter it. I'd say that's a change that doesn't need a long-term commitment to achieve ;)

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 1:25 pm

The girl being made into a hockey player made me laugh.

Go buy gear, and sign up for a local team. Really, it's not that hard. I guess as a 100 lb chick that played hockey, I just don't see the need to be "made". Just go do it.

If you're cute, people will be willing to teach you and help you catch up. I know this from first hand experience.