Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

danum
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2015, 3:42 am

Mine is when when my ears, or my brain I suppose, randomly tunes in and out of conversations. Before my diagnosis this was the one thing that really made me question my sanity.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 6:17 am

How easily disoriented and lost I become anywhere outdoors. I fear it will make me like a prisoner my whole life.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

12 Nov 2015, 8:50 am

EzraS wrote:
How easily disoriented and lost I become anywhere outdoors. I fear it will make me like a prisoner my whole life.

I too have this same problem. It generally happens when I enter wide open spaces like superstores, for instance. It's extremely confusing. .

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:05 pm

Lack of initiation but really most symptoms related to executive functioning such as dealing with multiple conversations at once.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Nov 2015, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:23 pm

Mine is my auditory sensitivity. As long as I can recall I have hated the sounds people make when they eat (misophonia). I would really like to sit down to dinner with my family or attend a holiday meal without all the distress. I have to wear earplugs if I'm near anyone eating or I get really angry. It sucks.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 12:51 pm

Mine is dyspraxia...gotta hate it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 1:05 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:

That for me too. Getting disorientated is one of the many problems dyspraxia causes me. I love going on exploratory nature walks so much, but the dyspraxia I have always to have someone with me so I don't get lost and also it makes it very difficult for me to walk and cause me to fall down a lot on uneven terrain.

Interesting article

Quote:
The child with Dyspraxia will remain disorientated, confused and very fearful over a much greater period of time. They will still be getting lost and forgetting homework, teachers names, class locations and where they are supposed to be and when, probably for months to come.

From, Difficulties Experienced by Older Children and Teenagers http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... age-years/

It's not just the autism, it's the dyspraxia too yay.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 1:18 pm

Auditory sensitivity. Before I was diagnosed with ASD I used to wish I was deaf, because it makes my life hell.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 3:11 pm

EzraS wrote:

A smartphone with Google maps solved that problem for me. I never go anywhere without a GPS. Unless I travel an identical route to a destination, I won't know where I am in relation to anything else or how to get home or where I am going.

Something I find bothers me on an ongoing basis is my inability to remember people's names. It really causes me a lot of problems in social situations. I just can't for the life of me remember names, sometimes people I am friends with for over a year before I remember their name.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 4:18 pm

I think for me regulating my emotions. I don't always recognise how I feel but when I do I often can't work out why, or its for a strange reason. I got mad because I forgot to eat breakfast and was really hungry but I had to go to class. I did get some food in the end but it was gross. I was going to catch the bus into town and buy something nice and be late for class but that would get me disciplined.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 12:40 am

Not recognizing somebody I've known for years because they have done something to their appearance like cut or dye their hair, get older, change their weight, or are in an unfamiliar environment (e.g., I see a client at the theater). It's like they look like a whole new person.

I used to have a co-worker that could do the most astounding, gorgeous things with her hair. Every two or three Mondays, she would come in with hair extensions, braids, coils, dyed hair, up-puffs, or short hair. It was like she'd had a head transplant. It was so damned embarrassing to be thinking, "Ummm, I think that's J--. I've only known her for TWO YEARS." Fortunately I was pretty good at recognizing voices. I was terrified she'd figure it out and think I didn't recognize her because she's African American, but I am an equal opportunity clueless person. I can fail to recognize people of any ethnicity.

If I ran into a client I hadn't seen in several months, they'd be chatting away at me for a while, and I'm hoping that they will drop some hint as to what project we worked on. If they start off with a sentence like, "You remember that booklet you did for me last year," I panic! Which booklet? I've done lots! Who the hell are you??

I think one of them caught on, because the last time I saw him, he told me his name, even though I do a lot of work for him (mostly over email instead of face-to-face).

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2015, 1:54 am

EzraS wrote:
SoMissunderstood wrote:

That for me too. Getting disorientated is one of the many problems dyspraxia causes me. I love going on exploratory nature walks so much, but the dyspraxia I have always to have someone with me so I don't get lost and also it makes it very difficult for me to walk and cause me to fall down a lot on uneven terrain.

Interesting article

Quote:
The child with Dyspraxia will remain disorientated, confused and very fearful over a much greater period of time. They will still be getting lost and forgetting homework, teachers names, class locations and where they are supposed to be and when, probably for months to come.

Yeah, even though I'm 51, I still can't do simple things like threading a needle, tying shoelaces, putting a button in a button hole, putting a key on a keychain etc which leads to endless frustration when others go "here, give it to me and let me do that for you".

I'd rather wear shoes without laces, tops without button holes, keeping all my keys separate and taking my clothes to a tailor...

I also have problems with balance on uneven terrain.