Do you swing your arms back and forth while walking?

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you swing your arms back and forth when you walk?
yes 36%  36%  [ 38 ]
no 64%  64%  [ 69 ]
Total votes : 107

Johnson68
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2008, 11:51 pm

I just had a good hard think, because I've never noticed.
And then I decided to get up and actually walk and pay attention.
But then I was so focused on it, there was no use.

I don't really think I swing them all that much though.
When I walk I usually have my hands in my pockets for some reason.

I have no control.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm

I didn't for a long long time, until my teens when my dad and my #2brother suggested I swing my arms. They mentioned it before then, and made fun of me, but for some reason I took it more serious that time.

I don't always remember to swing my arms.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

rekoil
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2008, 12:49 am

My arms don't swing either. I usually like to find something to hold onto while I'm walking or I clasp my hands in front of me.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 1:27 am

I do now,but I didn't when I was at High School and got unwelcome attention because of it.
I put 'No' because this is definitely a trait of AS that has only eased over time.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:09 am

Sometiems yes and sometimes no...

or maybe...I don't knwo whether I do or not...certainly not all the time either way...

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:20 am

I don't swing my arms when I walk. I didn't realise until recently that I don't. It goes a long way toward explaining why everyone in high school said that I moved like a robot.
I do swing them when I run.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:37 am

i usually move my arms while walking, but i have to focus on doing it/think about doing it, otherwise i just have them in my pockets or doing other things.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 6:57 am

I voted yes, I think I do it most of the time, but maybe not always. I don't think about it a lot. When I do, I might even do it in some unusual way. :wink:
When I was younger, I didn't.
The others in the school (who bullied me) told me to "walk normally". Once (at 14 years) I tried all I could to be "normal" to see if the bullying would stop, and therefore I asked them, how do I "walk normally"?
They showed me that one was supposed to swing one's arms while walking, and I tried to practice, but the bullying didn't stop anyway, and then I forgot to think about it again.

Some years later I was on a holiday with my family. As we were walking down the street, my father told me to swing my arms and got mad at me because I didn't, because it looked terrible, and I looked like a mongoloid. I should swing the arms, because it was natural for people. I didn't understand why it was such a big deal. But apparently it was. So I guessed I had to.

To ask a stupid question... Why is it important to swing one's arms when walking? It's not the arms you walk with, but the legs, you know... (An example of pure Aspie logic, I guess. :P )

Johnson68
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2008, 8:02 am

AnnePande wrote:
To ask a stupid question... Why is it important to swing one's arms when walking? It's not the arms you walk with, but the legs, you know... (An example of pure Aspie logic, I guess. :P )

I was thinking the same thing.

Like, I thought there was more to life then sitting around watching people to see if they
swing their arms while they walk?

And what does swinging your arms while you walk accomplish?

Igor
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2008, 8:15 am

Johnson68 wrote:
AnnePande wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

Like, I thought there was more to life then sitting around watching people to see if they
swing their arms while they walk?

And what does swinging your arms while you walk accomplish?

I thought it was supposed to be an evolutionary hang-over. 4-legged animals tend to walk alternate sides on front and back, so your right arm swings with your left leg.

I was always made fun of for swinging my arms too much as a kid. I don't know if that's because I'd noticed everyone else was doing it and I wasn't, so over compensated, or whether that's just how I was.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2008, 8:16 am

I hold mine still at my sides, or by my chest. I never know where my arms are supposed to go. I told my therapist that the other day and she said, "What do you mean? Put them wherever you want!" but its not that easy. It just doesn't FEEL right no matter what I'm doing.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:27 am

I do swing them a little ( I think) but not in a fluid motion like most people. I know this, because I've been made of when younger for it, and I've also been told that my body language says "stay away from me" because of how I hold my arms, and legs. It is not a natural feeling for me at all to have my limbs hanging out freely. I like my body all tucked in, close together. I just wish other people would quit misreading this as me having an attitude.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:37 am

Swinging your arms feels weird. I always put my hands in my pockets, or folded across my chest. No one's commented on it before. But people have told me I don't respond to personal commentary well, so they are probably just not saying anything about it.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:56 am

Sometimes it happens but most of the time they are stiff.

ASandproud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2008, 8:57 am

I only swing my right, my left arm stays dead still

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm

ASandproud wrote:
I only swing my right, my left arm stays dead still

Same here...I want to say it's my left arm that swings, but I can't say for certain.

I have a tiny suspicion that it has something to do with holding my backpack by the handle with my left hand all throughout middle/high school. *shrugs*

I think for the sake of simplicity, I'll just heck "no" in the poll.