Do you swing your arms back and forth while walking?

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you swing your arms back and forth when you walk?
yes 36%  36%  [ 38 ]
no 64%  64%  [ 69 ]
Total votes : 107

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm

ASandproud wrote:
I only swing my right, my left arm stays dead still

Same here...I want to say it's my left arm that swings, but I can't say for certain.

I have a tiny suspicion that it has something to do with holding my backpack by the handle with my left hand all throughout middle/high school. *shrugs*

I think for the sake of simplicity, I'll just heck "no" in the poll.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:05 am

I know for a fact that I walk with my hands in my pockets most of the time.

But others have told me I "bounce" when I walk...

I can't really say. :?

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:11 am

Dragonfly_Dreams wrote:
I hold mine still at my sides, or by my chest. I never know where my arms are supposed to go. I told my therapist that the other day and she said, "What do you mean? Put them wherever you want!" but its not that easy. It just doesn't FEEL right no matter what I'm doing.

When I'm sitting down, or when I'm talking to someone, I have the same feeling. Not "feeling right" is a sort of vague, but perfect description.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:08 am

Sometimes I sway my arms when I'm not carrying anything. Usually, I have a bag and I hold onto that with one hand, while the other is swaying or fidgeting with something.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:37 am

Not when walking [or jogging]. I do when I run.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:57 am

I don't unless I try really hard, and even then sometimes I can't. Sometimes only one arm swings and the other just sort of flaps loosely to my side. I still remember when I was taught (in a dance class) to do it, and they said to swing your arms "naturally", and described that as opposite to the foot going forward, and that was the first I heard of it.

When I was first diagnosed, the doctor noted my lack of armswing over and over again. Another doctor was so dead set on teaching me to do it that he'd deprive me food if I didn't.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:34 am

anbuend wrote:
Another doctor was so dead set on teaching me to do it that he'd deprive me food if I didn't.

As we all know, not swinging your arms greatly impacts on one's health, so much so that food deprivation/torture is required to treat it.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:46 am

...yeah. He's the same one who hit me to teach me eye contact.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:52 am

I don't swing my arms when walking or running, except when I'm running up stairs, then I swing them, but in an unusual way.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:00 pm

Not much.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:09 pm

As a child - no.

Today - yes, naturally.

Between were years of being told to swing arms, of trying and finally succeeding. I found swinging my arms very greatly improved my balance. Though my balance was not bad but normal average to begin with anyway.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:15 pm

anbuend wrote:
...yeah. He's the same one who hit me to teach me eye contact.

Yeah, that'd make someone wish to make eye contact, every time (more than likely, it'd make someone withdraw even further away, and they'd be even more "Autistic" then. I doubt most "normal" people would even respond to such, and they'd withdraw too; like the child who flinches every time he feels that he does something "wrong" around his new parents in a foster home).

(It sounds like you've had a rough trot in relation to professionals, to say the least and obvious.)

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:54 pm

I noticed a guy and gal both that I suspect are Aspie and they both walk like robots. Actually the girl always reminded me of a tin soldier the way she moved.

I have no idea how I walk. I think I may flap my hands while running though.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:28 pm

As a child I found arm-swinging a ridiculous waste of effort. I always made a point of walking with my arms straight.

Now I walk the "normal" way, but only after years of heavy acculturation into the NT world.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:54 am

i now swing my arms but it's a learnt habit

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2008, 1:27 am

Tracker wrote:
Do your arms naturally swing back and forth when you walk/run, or do they generally stay in one position with little to no swinging?

not naturally. it took a lot of practice and prompting from good friends who wanted to help me walk less unusually. i'm still not sure if i do it right.