Page 9 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

yorksmum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

The member of my family who has ASD is always being asked where she comes from. Usually it's "Are you from Australia?" or "Are you from Canada?" She is from Yorkshire!! She is often singled out as being posh which annoys her!

Aquais94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2015, 12:07 am

I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I'm Canadian, but I speak in a New York (Manhattan)-Californian American Accent. And I speak and write in American English rather than my homeland. Due to watching American Channels as a child, when learning English.

ON697Northlander
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2015, 9:00 pm

Well, accents...

For the longest time my accent was more or less generic Canadian, but over the years, I've been reading about various countries, centred around Northern Europe, Russia, and the British Isles, and have talked similar to that. Like lately I've noticed I've been talking kinda a cross between native Irish and my Canadian, and in the past I've talked like a scouser. But earlier on, I could talk more Nordic, close to Finnish or Estonian, and other times I've talked more Dutch, sometimes Swedish, sometimes German, sometimes Russian. All of this and I never left Canada in my life! This is all from watching TV, movies and YouTube videos from those countries and listening to their music. I also find that I pronounce French words with an accent because of my background from Northern Ontario, even though I was rarely raised around it. A good chunk of my family speaks it, but I've never had to use it in communication too much, and whenever I had to when I visited my family in Quebec, non-family would wonder whether I was a tourist or not and were shocked that I had family up there.

Connecting the North since 1902

Interests: Trains, Buses, politics, Heavy Equipment, Trucks, Engines powered by diesel, steam or electricity, and history covering Europe and the former USSR from World War II to the 1990s,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 9:02 pm

In 2003, my wife and I took the train to Moosonee from Cochrane.

My accent is pure Woody Allen New Yawk.

ON697Northlander
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2015, 9:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In 2003, my wife and I took the train to Moosonee from Cochrane.

My accent is pure Woody Allen New Yawk.

Ah, get out of town! That's the area of Northern Ontario that I'm from originally! I was born in Timmins but I have family all over that part of Ontario, and some in the neighbouring region of Quebec that's closer to Timmins than it is to Montreal (Rouyn-Noranda, Val-D'Or, Amos, La Sarre area). And yeah, I've taken that train before, in fact I've grown up around the "ONR" as we call it locally for my whole life and still know people there who jockey steering wheels for a living.

I remember back when I lived in the North, I often talked like a New Yorker and sometimes Jersey, due to the fact I watched so much Die Hard, Third Watch, Seinfeld, and other shows as a kid, and played GTA. I even called people "jagowffs" like Ofc. Bosco used to in Third Watch. After I moved to Barrie in Southern Ontario though I started using European accents when I started watching stuff from that part of the world, also from knowing people from that part of the world.

Interests: Trains, Buses, politics, Heavy Equipment, Trucks, Engines powered by diesel, steam or electricity, and history covering Europe and the former USSR from World War II to the 1990s,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 9:57 pm

Val D'or is relatively south--but I see it get down to Minus 40 Celsius on a fairly regular basis.

Sorry to get persnickety: The "Jersey" accent is actually a New York City accent--as spoken in nearby parts of New Jersey like Hoboken, Bayonne, and Jersey City. Most people in New Jersey, to me, actually speak like Bruce Springsteen, who comes from Freehold, NJ, which is in central Jersey.

Sometimes, people from south New Jersey seem like they talk like New Yorkers--when, in actuality, they speak like Philadelphians. Philadelphians, to the untrained ear, sound quite similar to New Yorkers.

We stayed in a bed-and breakfast owned by an older French couple in Cochrane. We stayed at the Polar Bear Inn in Moosonee.

ON697Northlander
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2015, 11:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Val D'or is relatively south--but I see it get down to Minus 40 Celsius on a fairly regular basis.

Sorry to get persnickety: The "Jersey" accent is actually a New York City accent--as spoken in nearby parts of New Jersey like Hoboken, Bayonne, and Jersey City. Most people in New Jersey, to me, actually speak like Bruce Springsteen, who comes from Freehold, NJ, which is in central Jersey.

Sometimes, people from south New Jersey seem like they talk like New Yorkers--when, in actuality, they speak like Philadelphians. Philadelphians, to the untrained ear, sound quite similar to New Yorkers.

We stayed in a bed-and breakfast owned by an older French couple in Cochrane. We stayed at the Polar Bear Inn in Moosonee.

Ah, no worries. I kinda figured the two accents were related and/or the same due to the enormous amount of relations across the Hudson bridges, but wasn't accurately sure, better to doubt it and be unsure then to be wrong and get called for it. I guess it's kinda like how different British accents that border eachother sound similar to the bordering dialects and the further north you get from London you start to notice that you hear more Celtic-like accents once you get closer to Liverpool and get further north into Scotland or across the Irish Sea into Ireland?

Vanne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2015, 1:29 am

I have Aspergers/PDD-NOS, and a lot of people think that I'm British or even Swedish although I am a born and raised Mainer. I've also gone through a couple years of Speech Therapy since I couldn't pronounce my L's or R's. Now I still can't pronounce my R's and sometimes will switch around a W for an R. Plus I tend to mumble or speak too fast too quietly for anyone to hear. However as I never knew my biological parents I can't say if it is just myself or if it's inherited (my adoptive mother is insistent that I'm part Irish, but I'm not sure I believe her.) :?

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 1:33 am

I'm Australian and I have a very distinct Australian accent in some situations, a normal Australian accent in others, and my family seems to think I sound "posh-English" when I say certain things.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 7:03 am

I speak in a very monotone voice. My mother says I sometimes have a hard time enunciating words which is true.

My voice changes depending on the social situation.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 8:43 am

Rudin wrote:
I speak in a very monotone voice. My mother says I sometimes have a hard time enunciating words which is true.

That is irregular prosody, not an accent. It's relatively common in autism. I have good prosody now, but I didn't when I was a kid.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 10:49 am

I definitely have a weird, unidentifiable accent. I actually made a thread about this before. Although, like Adamantium said, my prosody is also quite strange.

Damien31415
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2015, 7:14 pm

I'm from Scotland, and everyone around me has a very thick accent, but I sound very English, and most people don't believe that I am from Scotland. People seem to find this odd.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 3:27 am

Ishmael wrote:
Somebody thought you were south African?
But suith ifricaens ill spiel luke thes! How culd yu bi mistakin?

Y pot above; damned iPhone! Mean to say yank! Don't autocorrect that!

There are two kinds of White South Africans who sound very different from each other: Boers, and British. The Boers (who are descended from Dutch colonists and whose native tongue is Afrikaans) sound like what you're mimicking when they try to speak English.

But the descendants of the later British colonist are native English speakers, but have a distinct dialect that is vaguely similar in sound to how Aussies, and New Zealanders sound. Thats what that person meant probably.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 5:20 am

People had often asked me if I was from "all over Europe" or if I was South African. I think people can mistake a speech disorder for a foreign accent because there is something not-quite-right in pronunciation. I just took this as me deliberately pronouncing words because of my difficulties where others naturally slur. Where people would normally pronounce "animals" as "anamls," for example, I would enunciate "ani-MALS" carefully.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 9:16 am

^That would make me think you were a foreigner.

I was aquainted with a young guy who briefly was an amateur dj hosting a public access radio show.

On and off air he had this unique style of speech: imagine Rambo/Rocky speaking in that northern blue collar "Yo! Tony! Friggin' Ayyyy" dialect. But that combined with a southern drawl. Northern, and Southern at the same time. Strangest thing I ever heard.

I finally asked some friends of his "what part of the country does your buddy come from?". They all said he was from "around here" in the Washington DC suburbs, and that "he didn't talk that way until he started smoking pot".

Ive heard of folks who get injured to the head, and then start speaking in what sounds like a dialect from a place the person never lived in ( A Brit speaking like an American, or a native born American suddenly speaking in a "Swedish" accent). But upon close examination of cases like that it gets shown that these spontaneous "dialects" are basically speech impediments that only superficially resemble foreign dialects. But...thats from injuries to the head. I didnt know that smoking pot was enough for you to spontaneously go into your own private dialect! Lol!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 07 Nov 2015, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.