I can't always speak properly. Am I the only one?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SkyBar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2005, 7:03 pm

I have a problem with talking, sometimes. It's a little hard to describe, but it's like this: I'll say something and the words come out all wrong--in the wrong order, actually. In a weird way it still makes sense, but it's definately not the right way to put the words together.

In my head, it feels like a "words logjam". Like the words get stuck and then just come blowing out, almost on their own. It's more common when I'm nervous. I am sure this happens a lot more often than I am aware of it happening. A lot of times, my husband will bring it to my attention when I don't realize I just did it. I think it also happens when I am typing, but I'm not sure.

When I went to the doctor to be diagnosed, I mentioned this problem to him and he told me that whatever causes this, it is unrelated to Aspergers. I'm sure he's correct, but I am just curious--does anyone else ever get the words all wrong?

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2005, 7:07 pm

Hmmm...this happens to me as well, although not very often, once or twice a week. At least that is how often I am aware of it. I sometimes stutter slightly, as well, but that happens even less often.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2005, 7:18 pm

I struggle to get words out properly a lot when speaking - both because I have a supremely annoying tendency to stutter too, and because I frequently just can't find a particular word I'm looking for (even very basic words sometimes) on the spur of the moment. Its so very frustrating.....

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2005, 7:56 pm

I don't stutter but I do have a stammer much of the time. Sometimes I can't find the word I want because my vocabulary has momentarily failed me, but more often than not I just trip over my words and say them out of sequence or mispronounce them. Sometimes my mouth gets ahead of my brain and I end up saying Really Stupid Things (tm).

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Mar 2005, 8:32 pm

Ah, I often have this problem. It's strange to see yourself speaking in a way that seems almost as perfectly structured as the Eifel Tower, but once a word or a phrase gets accidently warped as you slur or stammer, all that hard work you do just collapses (and then so does the entire conversation).
:o

P.S. Take pity for poor Yoda

SkyBar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2005, 9:03 pm

WhiteRaven_214 wrote:
P.S. Take pity for poor Yoda

Oh My God! Now that you mention it, maybe I do talk like Yoda. 8O It is sort of like that, I guess. Maybe I'm walking around talking like Yoda all day!! :roll:
And I can barely admit this--I've never really seen Star Wars--but Yoda is that tiny little grey dude who talks all wrong, right? Yikes!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2005, 9:08 pm

I stutter something chronic.

Especially whensomeone I don't really know is looking at me. I half say things and change what i'm saying, the list goes on. :cry:

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2005, 9:37 pm

I tend to get stuck mid-sentence, even though I've gone through before hand what I want to say, I often loose concentration and start to stammer.

Therblig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2005, 10:18 pm

Every single sentence that comes out of my mouth is garbled.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2005, 12:11 am

I used to trip over words a lot, so I trained myself to speak slowly and more carefully. Over time, this let me sort of "relearn" how to talk without messing up, so I talk slightly slower than normal now, but I almost never crash and burn. I think if people slow down and practice saying each word, they should be able to do ok.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2005, 12:44 am

I stumble over words or can't seem to get the correct word out sometimes. It is usually just when I am talking to fast and thinking even faster. My brain just works faster than my mouth can!

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2005, 1:42 am

Frequently I have a difficult time speaking. Often I stutter, my speech is garbled, sentences are incomplete, and ideas half expressed. Also, I am easily flustered if I am attempting to debate a topic. This is especially true if the topic is something about which I am passionate, such as a political discussion. In these cases, it becomes difficult to organize my thoughts appropriately before speaking. I feel rushed and blurt out the incomplete thoughts.

In other words, I sound like a dumbass.

In recent years, my frequency of verbal conversations has decreased dramatically. I find that speaking is becoming more difficult the less I have practice at it.

Puzzler
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2005, 2:29 am

test

Last edited by Puzzler on 27 Apr 2005, 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2005, 3:56 am

Quote:
It is like millions of word in head and I have to grab the right ones out of my brain and try to put them together to make a sentence.
Or when I try to speak I don't realize that I am speaking in a whisper half the time and the other half is regular voice.

I have these problems, as well, but I don't think they are as severe as yours.

I think my biggest problem is coming up with a way to phrase my sentence. The idea is usually there, or an image, and at the speed conversation goes, I have a hard time speaking my thoughts in a concise manner. I tend to "meander" with my words, either that, or I become very curt, because I don't want to have to speak any longer than necessary.

I speak rather softly, that's what everyone tells me, anyway. I sound like I am speaking in a normal volume to myself, so I have a hard time remembering I have to speak up.

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2005, 6:42 pm

Reversing words, reversing letters; yes, pretty often. It happens with speech, but also with writing and typing.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2005, 10:45 pm

it happens to me pretty often too.like I'll ment to say "I'm very happy." but instead it comes out as "I'm happy very".Atleast ppl back then talked like that.