Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aardvark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2008, 6:19 am

Does anyone know of studies on daydreaming in any aspect? Not talking about Freudian psychoanalysis, but who daydreams more, why, personality etc.

On the same not, sometimes I wonder how much I daydream in relation to the next person. I don't know if it's a habit borne out of boredom but I seem to get very carried away by my thoughts and daydreams when I could be outside in the world living and doing things. Not that my daydreams are that exciting all the time, often they're just the same fantasies over and over again, heh. I do feel like I'd like to get out into the 'real' world more and not have it pass me by, but I think living in my head has become such a way of life for me its not easy.
It seems in pop psychology at least that some people choose to live in a fantasy land due to a stressful or unhappy 'real' life. My life has never been unhappy, so, in a way I feel I have no excuse.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2008, 6:32 am

The amount that I daydream has varied immensely, from periods of daydreaming for hours, even a couple of days, at a stretch, to times, like now, when I rarely if ever daydream at all.

I have been wondering whether this latest period of at least 8 months now, of little or no daydreaming, has anything to do with the fact that for the last 10 months I have been eating glten-free, because this would fit with things that I experience "on" gluten, such as depression, alienation, black hole thinking, etc. I think gluten puts me much more in my head.

When in chronic/frequent/lengthy daydreaming mode/state I sometimes had the impression that i used it to work things through, explore ideas and experiences, but I now wonder whether it was similar to that thing studies have shown about how human brains will "find ways to amuse themselves" when isolated from contact/stimulation etc, a bit like what happens during sensory deprivation, which again would fit with the gluten hypothesis.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 8:07 am

If it's gluten that makes the autistic daydream, then I'm not going off of it. 8)

I don't know. My daydreams are amusing I guess, but they're more like the beginning of a story. I can also control what emotion comes out of it. I can scare myself, make myself happy, sad, angry, stressed, ETC.

It's quite useful if I'm delayed in feeling an emotion which I know I'll feel later, but it's just not happening now.

But mostly I just daydream because it's fun. The real world can be boring sometimes. :) :) :)

cybershooter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2008, 8:48 am

I had a happy childhood and I used to daydream all the time :D Being alone had nothing to do with it - I would daydream in class too. Now that I'm older I find myself daydreaming less, probably because of the constraints of time. I have a long list of things I want to do, so time spent daydreaming is basically time lost that I'd rather put to better use!

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2008, 10:21 am

I know I daydream more than pretty much everyone. I'd be the unhappiest person on Earth if I couldn't daydream.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:24 am

I daydreamed as a kid in school (surprisingly somehow I managed to do okay) and as an adult I still do it. As long as it doesn't interfere with your duties, then whats the harm :)

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2008, 4:03 pm

i daydream all my way through school, i coundn't take all the information in that the teachers were feeding me at times or i genrally thought it was boring. i still daydream at
times, but only when i'm thinking a lot.

Bella1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2008, 2:40 pm

I love daydreaming. Don't know of any studies... Perhaps do a search? Or maybe on wikipedia.

I know for me, I've been making up stories and characters in my head since I was a teenager. I could lie in bed for hours and be in my characters head experiencing things - they were always romantic stories.