Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2008, 2:57 pm

Yep, I do self-harm a lot... I either bang my head against the wall or I scratch my skin until I bleed... I also sometimes cut my skin... But it all just calms me down and stimulates me :twisted: It relieves me from stress and anxiety... There's nothing wrong about that.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2008, 3:45 pm

When i got depressed a year ago, i self injured a lot. Mostly i cut myself. My left hand has a lot of scars on skin. Some on stomach and a little on legs. I haven't cut for a month. But if i cry.. i always hit myself in the face when i get mad. I am trying not to self injure myself anymore. Only hit my face when i cry, because i'll get more mad if i don't atleast hit myself.

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2008, 3:48 pm

I SI!

But... I don't have Asperger's, the diagnosis was wrong. I have Social Anxiety Disorder. So I don't know what I'm still doing on a forum for people with AS. I just find it interesting.

When I SI it is quite bad, quite deep. I cut.
x

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 4:43 pm

i do head-banging and wont talk to anyone even when asked because most of time when this happens im pissed off

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 5:34 pm

I still get relentless urges to bang my head on something solid. Sometimes the urge to scream makes me shake, just vibrate my whole body with the need to scream my bloody head off.

I have learned over the years that banging my head makes it hurt, and the blood running down into my eyes can freak out even the nicest people. Screaming rips out my larynx where I can't even breathe with out rattleing the frayed shreds of my vocal cords.

after I took my need to do all these things to their ultimate limit, I found I didn't like to deal with the results. So I stopped responding to the need and urge to do it, my body got too old to want to deal with the aftermath anymore

Merle

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2008, 5:48 pm

KatieRose212 wrote:
But... I don't have Asperger's, the diagnosis was wrong. I have Social Anxiety Disorder. So I don't know what I'm still doing on a forum for people with AS. I just find it interesting.
x

That's ok- most people find us incomprehensible; they never get to the stage where they would understand us enough to find us interesting.

Magliabechi.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 11:44 pm

I mess up the skin on my arm.
I know a friend of a friend who has scars(I'm sure she's NT). She's been called emo;D
I have to admit it feels good. The stimulation gives me a strange high that helps with these painful teen years.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 12:07 am

i have a lot of scars from intentional cutting, on my upper forearms and a few on my lower and a few here and there on my legs.
in my earlier years i had great difficulty with self-harm. it is connected to overwhelm and sensory overload for me.

i no longer cut myself and actually had to "learn" not to partake in self-injury, susing a lot of CBT approaches and techniques.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 3:41 am

Nope, I don't engage in self-harm. I only did before I knew more about being slightly Autistic...and only because I thought I was an idiot. Once I started piecing everything together, the self-harm ended. Now I just wish I could smack around half the NTs I deal with all the time. :lol:

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:35 am

My self harm is also more of a stim, picking skin the worse one thing I still find hard to control at times. 1-200! well it must be an an older article I guess.. does tend to imply we are all the same, not so sure about the always! we are not all drones, but overall some great points, brings back some adolescence memories.... 8O .

Bijou_Jewel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jun 2009, 2:36 pm

It's been almost a year since I performed SI behavior, but the urge has been getting alot harder to resist. When I hit sensory overload I burn (can't handle the sight of my own blood.) But I don't know, some days are good, some are not so good. One day at a time.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 3:20 pm

I've done it due to being so f****d with irrational emotion, I was overloaded.

I once did it in front of a group of kids who were taunting me...started ripping my hair out...

I hate NT kids.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 3:32 pm

I have a history of very severe "moderate" self injury.. I've had several psychiatrist tell me I was the worst they'd ever seen. I've known one person who was as bad as I was with the self-injury, and I'm quite sure that she has an autistic disorder as well.. I read an article about how a fairly high percentage of anorexics are likely to have undiagnosed AS.. noting that girls are unlikely to be diagnosed, and that the intensity of an anorexic's obsession with food and weight is awfully AS-esque.

(There are three TYPES of self-injury:
Repetitive, which is like the head-banging you see in mental retardation, kanners, and lesch-nyhan syndrome
Moderate, which is the emotionally based coping mechanism, and
Major, which occurs with psychotic disorders, like schizophrenics plucking out their eyes)

When there's as much frustration as someone with AS has, and so little ability to communicate it, it shouldn't be at all surprising...

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2009, 1:31 pm

Used to self injure a lot when hospitalized. Mostly head banging but also cutting. Was probably due to the stress of being in an unfamiliar situation surrounded by strangers. Stopped self injuring when they stopped admitting me.

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 3:48 pm

i've self-injured since adolescence, but i suspect it also has to do with a history of abuse. (pain overload.) i do have a sense of being overwhelmed prior to self-injury. not sure i can untangle what that sense of "overwhelm" is all about.

i like the last few sentences of the article. something along the lines of "would rather have guidelines for dealing with an irrational world." sure would like that. sure would like that. sure would like that.

instruction manual, please.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 4:33 pm

Depends on what sort of self injury.

Cutting: I've come close too many times to count.

Other sorts such as head banging, hair pulling, etc: on and off.