What would you do if government stopped covering AS support?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

Seriously what plans are you putting in place if that happens?

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

Does the government (USA) actually cover Aspergers support?
I was not aware if they covered it or not, as i've heard that in some places they don't.

Obviously if you are Autistic or Mentally Ill they will help.

Do you mean govt as in ssi ssd or medicaid medicare?
Or schools giving students with aspergers help?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

No plans ... I never knew my government would support me for being an Aspie, so I never received any support.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

I'm with Fnord on this. The government can't take something away from me that they never gave me in the first place.

To your larger question on the welfare state, it's running the country broke, and it can't continue as is. So, it's not a matter of if but of when the government checks stop.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:19 pm

my gubbermint has been very unsupportive

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
To your larger question on the welfare state, it's running the country broke, and it can't continue as is. So, it's not a matter of if but of when the government checks stop.

Actually, the huge defense budget is running the government more broke than welfare programs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:28 pm

emimeni wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Actually, the huge defense budget is running the government more broke than welfare programs.

At the federal level, certainly. But it's the pensions and health benefits that are driving city governments into bankruptcy.

Of course, there is also the culture of fraud, waste, and abuse at the highest levels, such as shown by the Infamous Bell Six.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

Stoek wrote:

There's AS support from the government? I can't even get the time of day from any government agency. What's your secret?

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

There's no support for adults with autism unless they have very specific needs, even then funding homes and services usually provided for by nonprofits like Goodwill, United Way, etc. This is in the US.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

kirayng wrote:
There's no support for adults with autism unless they have very specific needs, even then funding homes and services usually provided for by nonprofits like Goodwill, United Way, etc. This is in the US.

Yup. I've seen crack dealers with 5 kids with 5 different mamas, who they don't pay child support to, on SSI (no BS) but if you have AS you're s**t out of luck.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

Stoek wrote:

My kids can live with me indefinitely. Hopefully, between the two of them they'd be able to survive after I pass, assuming I live until they are adults.

But I'm actually banking on them not needing support. Though, as a single mother, I'd love it if they could get some kind of support with college tuition, provided they want to go to college and have the aptitude.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2013, 5:29 pm

Aspergers in my country were never officially supported.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

They don't support you because you have AS: they support you because you are disabled enough not to be able to work. In my case, that's true whether or not they call it AS, autism, or anything else.

As for what I'd do if they withdrew support: Honestly, I'd probably die. It might take a while, because I wouldn't go down without a fight, but sooner or later I would need medical treatment I couldn't pay for, or would become homeless and be unable to protect myself from the elements or from other people, or simply get stressed enough to have another major depressive episode which, untreated, could result in death from suicide or self-neglect, and would greatly impair my ability to take care of myself even if I survived it. I'd give myself about five years to live, without support.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

Callista wrote:
They don't support you because you have AS: they support you because you are disabled enough not to be able to work. In my case, that's true whether or not they call it AS, autism, or anything else.

As for what I'd do if they withdrew support: Honestly, I'd probably die. It might take a while, because I wouldn't go down without a fight, but sooner or later I would need medical treatment I couldn't pay for, or would become homeless and be unable to protect myself from the elements or from other people, or simply get stressed enough to have another major depressive episode which, untreated, could result in death from suicide or self-neglect, and would greatly impair my ability to take care of myself even if I survived it. I'd give myself about five years to live, without support.

^^^^^

I'd maybe go a bit longer thanks to familial support, unless depression becomes part of the whole thing.

Before I started looking into disability benefits I was already planning suicide because I couldn't see any future at all.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

It wouldn't make a difference to me really......AS isn't considered a disability in my state, and will only cover support for autism if the person was diagnosed before the age of six.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

I personally would be in big trouble without support benefits. I actually do not really want to think about such a possibility.