Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 2:07 pm

I do the same thing you do Lepetit. Doubt my diagnosis but it's kind of hard to keep doing that considering it's not going away.

From what you have described, I doubt it's your physical ailments that caused HFA symptoms.

If you feel like you are able to pull of NT but still know that you are different and/or treated different, if you have sensory issues, if you engage in repetative activities, if you find yourself going off in your own world, if you find pleasure in data seeking and collecting you might be an aspie.

You mentioned noise and flashy lights almost killing you, food at the party was poisonous for you (that part most likely is your stomach problems), you were really good at arabic literature but learning difficulties when it comes to foreign languages...(but your english here is great. Are you better at typing english than speaking?)

Playing hide and seek is not autistic trait? That's odd. I liked to play hide and seek. I think that is just a stereotype. Just because you don't fit one stereotype that is old and probably incorrect doesn't mean you are not autistic. There are stereotypes that need to be examined further because I've noticed HFA children do in fact like to play games with other kids so long as they themselves enjoy the game and hide and go seek is one of them so long as the rules make sense to the child.

People often try to claim so and so can't really be autistic because they don't fit into every stereotype and such stereotypes aren't really accurate.

You can tell the inaccurate ones because they try to lump all people into the same activities. It's not about the activity involved but the response to the activity.

Using hide and seek as an example. One autistic kid may try to play hide and seek at first but not understand that when others say your turn to hide that you are supposed to hide and sit in one place until found. It's the response to the rules. Others get impatient with those who don't get it.

When the rules make sense and it clicks with the autie, the autie, if the autie likes the game as a result, the autie will get really good at finding places to hide that others haven't hid before and can hide there for hours in the process laughing to themselves that they've outsmarted the others.

Pretend play can be learned and doctors that tell parents what their children what activities their child WILL engage in over autism is wrong.

They are not seeing that there is in fact a pattern with response and delayed response more so than the activity itself.