Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:25 pm

Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
No, I understand. No offense taken.

I don't really knwo how to say what I'm thinking of, I want a better term as well. I just thought that people who are like that would not know much about sex. I didn't even know they had a sex drive. You're right, though, because I don't hear stories of it. I don't understand why not, you hear stories about murder and they go into such detail on the news, but they don't say stuff like this. The media pretty much writes off stuff about disabilities, at least in my area.
The news companies want to make a profit, and murder news is more profitable than info about the disabled.

There's lots of ways a person could be mentally ret*d. Maybe some of them don't have really powerful sex drives. I think it generally has no impact on it though.

There's a stereotype in general that disabled people of all kinds are asexual. There are very few disabilities that actually cause that though. Most disabled people are just as sexual as anyone else, and that includes people with MR. It has been convenient for "service providers" and institutions in general to deny or attempt to take away people's sexuality, to the point of forced castration, hysterectomies, drugging, behavior programs, separating lovers (some of whom managed to get back together and even marry, some of whom never did), you name it. But it's definitely there (as is the capacity to love people in all senses of the word).

This article is well worth reading.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:35 pm

anbuend wrote:
Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:

I don't really knwo how to say what I'm thinking of, I want a better term as well. I just thought that people who are like that would not know much about sex. I didn't even know they had a sex drive. You're right, though, because I don't hear stories of it. I don't understand why not, you hear stories about murder and they go into such detail on the news, but they don't say stuff like this. The media pretty much writes off stuff about disabilities, at least in my area.
The news companies want to make a profit, and murder news is more profitable than info about the disabled.

There's lots of ways a person could be mentally ret*d. Maybe some of them don't have really powerful sex drives. I think it generally has no impact on it though.

There's a stereotype in general that disabled people of all kinds are asexual. There are very few disabilities that actually cause that though. Most disabled people are just as sexual as anyone else, and that includes people with MR. It has been convenient for "service providers" and institutions in general to deny or attempt to take away people's sexuality, to the point of forced castration, hysterectomies, drugging, behavior programs, separating lovers (some of whom managed to get back together and even marry, some of whom never did), you name it. But it's definitely there (as is the capacity to love people in all senses of the word).

I kind of didn't mean that they could be asexual, I just thought like they wouldn't even know what sex is.

And I apologize, I can't really think of another term to use besides "MR." It's just that around where I am, it's actually the official diagnosis/professional term, which of course gets highly abused. Believe me, I had a hard time making that post, I was nervous as hell because its a term I get offended by most but I can't think of anything else to call it, because all I've heard from doctors and those types of people is that.

Enlighten me, what's a better label to use? I'm looking forward to an answer.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:40 pm

anyone seen What's Eating Gilbert Grape??

Well, while they don't say what disorder in particular Arnie has several autistic mannerisms as well as MR.

It's sort of the same with I am same, I guess. Just with the character sam the reasons could be different or something.

01 Oct 2008, 8:44 pm

People who get offended by that word need to chill out. It's just a name of a disability for those who have an IQ of 70 or below. Those whose IQ is 71-79 are borderline.

Autism is used as in insult too I heard. Should society stop using that word for the name of the disability just because dumb asses out there are using it as an insult.

Last edited by Spokane_Girl on 01 Oct 2008, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Oct 2008, 8:52 pm

I really like I am Sam, but I didn't think he was autistic. As for the question about whether ret*d people can have sex, has anyone seen "The Other Sister?" that's a good example right there. ret*d people still have the same urges everyone else does, and sex isn't that complicated.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 2:11 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
anbuend wrote:
Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:

I kind of didn't mean that they could be asexual, I just thought like they wouldn't even know what sex is.

When they don't, it's pretty much invariably because it's actively kept from them. And even then, they usually figure somethings out.

Quote:
And I apologize, I can't really think of another term to use besides "MR." It's just that around where I am, it's actually the official diagnosis/professional term, which of course gets highly abused. Believe me, I had a hard time making that post, I was nervous as hell because its a term I get offended by most but I can't think of anything else to call it, because all I've heard from doctors and those types of people is that.

Enlighten me, what's a better label to use? I'm looking forward to an answer.

I wouldn't know, I didn't ask you to use a different one.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 3:56 am

Mentally retardation is just an all-encompassing label, like autism is.

The problem arises when people start basing worth on a single facet of existence, i.e., someone is "less" of a person because they have an IQ under 70. For some reason today, a jerk with an IQ of 160 isn't seen as broken, whereas the most gentle and kind person with an IQ of 50 is seen as broken.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 10:31 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Mentally retardation is just an all-encompassing label, like autism is.

The problem arises when people start basing worth on a single facet of existence, i.e., someone is "less" of a person because they have an IQ under 70. For some reason today, a jerk with an IQ of 160 isn't seen as broken, whereas the most gentle and kind person with an IQ of 50 is seen as broken.

That's the thing about today's society that sickens me. It really should be the other way around.