Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NicholasGray
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2008, 11:05 pm

A lot of people seem to have a strong of opinions about the proper use of the label "autistic" as it applies to Asperger's Syndrome. Some people seem very adamant that they are two very different things, i.e. that if you are one then you cannot be the other.

Other folks seem just as adamant that the word autistic is descriptive of the entire spectrum, whereas if one wants to describe the specific expression of autistic tendencies then one needs to use the appropriate specific terminology, e.g. Kanner's Syndrome, Asperger's Syndrome, Rett's Syndrome, etc.

My own usage has tended to fall into the latter camp, because the term "autism" was coined as a non-specific descriptive term some 30 years before Kanner and Asperger defined their very specific developmental disorders. So in the linguistic vin diagram autism would be a big circle with all the other ones as little slices of it. At least that is how it seems to me.

Others keep telling me that autism means only "classic autism" (in other words, Kanner's). Maybe that is the accepted use now, and I should update my lexicon?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:45 pm

Asperger's Disorder can still be called Autistic Psychopathy; there's "Autistic". Just as Autistic Disorder can still be called Kanner's Early Infantile Autism.

For some reason or another, I've found that most professionals equate the word "Autism" with Autistic Disorder; "Autism" is more a descriptive term of the social withdrawal of various disorders, as you said. I don't think Asperger's has ever had the direct term "Autism" applied to it, other than as being a part of the broad "[Autism] Spectrum Disorders", however. The Spectrum isn't in any diagnostic manual that I've seen.

They're different disorders in manifestation of the symptoms (albeit, they have overlap of many symptoms), but they both have "Autistic" in their names, so either can be called such, accurately.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 11:48 pm

I kind of just use the term 'autism' when I think about all of us on the spectrum, collectively. Maybe I shouldn't, but it's easier for me. And it makes me feel like I'm part of something bigger, instead of a teensy little subgroup...

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:07 am

In my opinion, I think Kanner's, Asperger's, all that is just one thing. All Autism. When I think about me having Asperger's, I really don't believe in "Asperger's." I believe there is just Autism, and that there are different levels of it.
Because in my opinion, it's all one thing because we have similar symptoms, but with different levels. There are even people on here who have the word to mouth problem, right? Well, when you look at it, Aspies are like that, just in a different way. Although Aspie problems are social skills, its related because we can't get our message out properly.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 12:07 am

I think since autism (term used generally) is still not well understood, the terminology is still sort of up in the air.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:09 am

Malsane wrote:
I think since autism (term used generally) is still not well understood, the terminology is still sort of up in the air.

Let's face it---everything's misunderstood nowadays.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 12:11 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
Malsane wrote:

I don't understand.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:12 am

Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
Malsane wrote:

I don't understand.

Case closed! :D

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 12:33 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
Malsane wrote:

I don't understand.

I still don't understand? What do you mean? I see the humor in that exchange. Do you mean that my point is irrelevant because misunderstandings are a constant state of affairs? I don't understand your point.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:38 am

Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
Malsane wrote:
CowboyFromHell wrote:
Malsane wrote:

I don't understand.

I still don't understand? What do you mean? I see the humor in that exchange. Do you mean that my point is irrelevant because misunderstandings are a constant state of affairs? I don't understand your point.

I thought you were being sarcastic, so I went along with it. :wink:

But no, I meant that everything is misunderstood. Too many problems in this world are caused my misunderstandings.

I wasn't de-validating your point. I'm sorry if it turned out that way. I was being friendly.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 12:42 am

I didn't think you were being mean. I am actually amused. I think I'm just having an aspie night. I guess you're right.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:46 am

Malsane wrote:
I didn't think you were being mean. I am actually amused. I think I'm just having an aspie night. I guess you're right.

I don't blame ya! :) I have those nights too, don't worry. Besides, although I'm very good at detecting sarcasm, I'm still practicing on my humor output.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 7:44 am

Danielismyname wrote:
For some reason or another, I've found that most professionals equate the word "Autism" with Autistic Disorder; "Autism" is more a descriptive term of the social withdrawal of various disorders, as you said. I don't think Asperger's has ever had the direct term "Autism" applied to it, other than as being a part of the broad "[Autism] Spectrum Disorders", however. The Spectrum isn't in any diagnostic manual that I've seen.

Seems to me it's in there, just not with that label. Pervasive Developmental Disorders = autistic sprectrum, pretty much. The only distinction between the two that I know of is that some people would include ADD and/or other folks with some autistic symptoms but not a full disorder on the spectrum.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 8:30 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
In my opinion, I think Kanner's, Asperger's, all that is just one thing. All Autism. When I think about me having Asperger's, I really don't believe in "Asperger's." I believe there is just Autism, and that there are different levels of it.

I agree. Diagnoses are based on outward behaviour. No one except us truly understands how our inner behaviour is different. Kanner's, HFA, Asperger's, PDD-NOS, are different categories of external behaviour. But inside we are all alike - we are all Autistic. Our cognitive processes, perceptions, emotional experiences, sensory experiences, and the way we respond internally to the world around us, are the same - but maybe more intense/overwhelming for some than others.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:31 am

CowboyFromHell wrote:
Because in my opinion, it's all one thing because we have similar symptoms, but with different levels.

I pretty much agree with the above. I don't really believe in my Aspergers either, I just say I have a mild ASD (I somehow dislike the way PDD sounds so I never use it).

NicholasGray
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2008, 11:43 am

Quote:
I agree. Diagnoses are based on outward behaviour. No one except us truly understands how our inner behaviour is different. Kanner's, HFA, Asperger's, PDD-NOS, are different categories of external behaviour. But inside we are all alike - we are all Autistic. Our cognitive processes, perceptions, emotional experiences, sensory experiences, and the way we respond internally to the world around us, are the same - but maybe more intense/overwhelming for some than others.

This is very much how I had been looking at it, but I had not ever put it so eloquently. Thank you. I seem to be getting "warned" lately against not confusing the terms. Mind if I just quote you as a response now?