Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:22 am

Have you ever had certain songs that by their sound act as a trigger for certain emotional states without regard to their lyrics(words)?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:51 am

oh yeah, definately. I get into this weird, mildly depressive and detached state whenever I listen to Burial's "Untrue".

some songs really cheer me up regardless of the lyrics, most songs by the Clientele have that effect on me.

I get into the state of deep relaxation when I listen to some tracks by Boards of Canada, not much lyrics there though.

there's a french hip-hop band called Saian Supa Crew which I love, it really cheers me up and gets me going. and I don't even speak a word of French ;p

music is a universal language.

Psimulus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 10:14 am

This has been studied scientificly. Certain tones and frequencies can induce a response relatively easily. Combined with lyrics however, it is "possible" for some to associate the feelings.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:21 am

Hmm... I rarely associate a song emotionally from the lyrics. It's mostly the melody and texture of the sound that creates emotion for me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:30 am

Yes very much. I don't understand a word of Gallic but Clannad really hit the spot for me.

There are a few monemts when it's very powerful - I'll just get mesmerised by a couple of lines or something. But the effect often wears off after a few repeats of the same record.

I also record and perform music - that's very different to listening. I can really express myself when I'm on form. Mostly it's other people's songs, but the emotions stream through me and it feels great 8) Sometimes it's the only part of my life that makes sense.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:33 am

Psimulus wrote:
This has been studied scientificly. Certain tones and frequencies can induce a response relatively easily. Combined with lyrics however, it is "possible" for some to associate the feelings.

It's not just tones though. It's the quality of the sound too. Sometimes a droning ambient noise has a really profound emotion to it when it's combined with certain notes (at least for me). Heavy distortion and layering of different sounds often creates a feeling like the music is going right through me. Kind of hard to describe that emotion though.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:37 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes very much. I don't understand a word of Gallic but Clannad really hit the spot for me.

There are a few monemts when it's very powerful - I'll just get mesmerised by a couple of lines or something. But the effect often wears off after a few repeats of the same record.

I also record and perform music - that's very different to listening. I can really express myself when I'm on form. Mostly it's other people's songs, but the emotions stream through me and it feels great 8) Sometimes it's the only part of my life that makes sense.

I find Irish music to be a great mood lifter whether it's in English or Gaelic. Well that is, except for those where I have paid attention to the lyrics & some are so sad that they make me cry. Jigs & reels are instant mood lifters.

Rap music has the exact opposite affect of making me really angry & hostile, especially the thumping base. I want to beat the crap out of the person who's playing it. 8O

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:03 pm

Music will evoke certain images in my mind and I'll often start daydreaming on them. Otherwise, music or lyrics do not affect me very much emotionally, except one time. There was a country song, entitled 'Where have you been?' by Kathy Mattea (not sure of the artist name) that threw me into a sudden fit of deep depression after I heard it -- to where I cried for hours. That was not long after my Dad died and I split up with my 2nd husband. To this day I can't listen to that song.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:15 pm

Yes - the sound of the chorus to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" throws me into a weird ecstasy. The song is beautiful in its meaning, too, but I don't think that's the part that affects me.

There are songs that make me feel terrified, make my skin crawl, like Nine Inch Nail's "Eraser." I can't even get past the intro to it anymore, I get this horrible creepy unclean feeling that lasts for a long while.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:17 pm

Aurore wrote:
Yes - the sound of the chorus to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" throws me into a weird ecstasy. The song is beautiful in its meaning, too, but I don't think that's the part that affects me.

yeah, I've always wondered why people say it's a religious song... to me it's rather profane.

I like the Jeff Buckley version better though.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:25 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Aurore wrote:

yeah, I've always wondered why people say it's a religious song... to me it's rather profane.

I like the Jeff Buckley version better though.

Definitely not religious...I thought it was about feeling weak in ones' faith, and also sex. But it's a very deep emotion that I find lovely even though it's rather foreign...

Jeff Buckley's version is amazing also, but then I get sad when I hear it, I think about how he died.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 3:39 pm

Aurore wrote:

Jeff Buckley's version is amazing also, but then I get sad when I hear it, I think about how he died.

yeah, I know what you mean, I always get a weird "conspiracy feeling" when I listen to his songs, I mean lyrics like: Last Goodbye, the whole Grace song, Eternal Life, "i see the rain fall upon the funeral mourners", the whole I Shall Be Released, all that on one album and then the guy dies...

that's just plain weird (and I'm not even that paranoid :wink: )

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I find Irish music to be a great mood lifter whether it's in English or Gaelic. Well that is, except for those where I have paid attention to the lyrics & some are so sad that they make me cry. Jigs & reels are instant mood lifters.

Rap music has the exact opposite affect of making me really angry & hostile, especially the thumping base. I want to beat the crap out of the person who's playing it. 8O

Most rap hasn't moved me, though some of the stuff on the edge of that genre can catch my attention. But I can't understand why society hasn't stopped people playing it ridiculously loud from cars. It's like an assault and it puts me off. :evil:

Yes the Irish music's great - and I like the people 8)

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2008, 7:07 pm

Yes.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 1:01 am

"Walking In Memphis" by Marc Cohn.

The lyrics don't really mean anything to me, but the melody gives me chills and sometimes makes me start crying.