Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:59 pm

* One thing is for sure, I am incredibly bad at socializing. It is also very hard for me to control emotions correctly.
* I always thought I was good with faces, but I took the face recognition online test and my result was very bad.
* In the AS test I get mixed results like 112 AS / 84 NT
* I am not sure about the obsession part, I will sometimes focus on something a lot, but I am not sure what the true obsession stuff is for a real AS person. These last years I have only really cared about one thing: Algorithms, the rest, including some subjects at college were disregarded with consequences against my grades.
* I did not ever have a meltdown.
* I had speech issues and had to go for treatment at 5.

What is in your opinion the most important aspect of being AS?

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 4:45 pm

Why do you ask such question after being here for so long time? :)
Well, I think, uncontrolled emotions are very important, and so being bad at socializing is. Those were the first aspects that made me worried about being different from the other people. Then I discovered that I'm often too deep in thought to notice that someone is talking to me :? I don't remember for sure what the next was, so I let the rest of you continue :wink:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:29 am

The most important thing for inclusion into the Autistic Spectrum is a lack of social [and emotional] reciprocation, and showing/understanding nonverbal cues (in other words, the social impairment); everything else just defines what label you have under the Spectrum.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 2:40 am

To me, the most significant part of being an Aspie has nothing to do with artificially constructed diagnostic criteria - rather, it is that feeling from a very early age of being different to everyone else, of feeling like you don't belong on this planet, that you were sent here by mistake, that you are not 'acceptable' in the human social world, that it all seems somehow 'foreign' to you, that everyone else just seems to magically 'know' what to do and say and feel, and even when you learn how to act like them you still don't understand why it is this way, and you wish people could just telepathize with each other, and be honest and kind....

salamander
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2008, 2:44 am

Kelsi wrote:
of feeling like ... you are not 'acceptable' in the human social world

This is really a major thing, the biggest thing for me. Spent my whole life trying so hard to do things there way and basically never getting their social world right. They just didn't like me, and I could not explain why.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 2:49 am

..and it teaches us from an early age to feel shame - incredibly self-destructive shame. And then we spend the second half of our life overcoming that :wink: .

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:54 am

I never felt different to anyone else [nor unacceptable nor that I don't belong here]; no one feels or felt real for me, including myself.

Damn, I guess I have to go looking for a better label that fits me. :) Subjective views are poor for creating a disorder, as everyone will tell you a different thing.