Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:43 pm

I'm so lonely I'm thinking of going downstairs to the building lobby with my book to read, at least see neighbours passing by once in a while. Not that I know them, we're very many and I'm new here, but just so I don't feel so alone. Have I lost my mind? 8O

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:44 pm

I would say there is nothing wrong with that. Who knows, you may make some friends with someone who has read the book of your choosing.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:45 pm

I don't think there's anything bizarre about wanting to spend time in the presence of others.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:47 pm

Third-ing it: Do it.

I'm thinking that if you're new, maybe people will talk to you a little. If you're all fine with that, hurry up.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:49 pm

Now that you mention it...it reminds me that when I was in hospital last month I did the same and I did indeed make some hospital friends who were interested in the book I was reading...

I'm also reminded that a few weeks ago one of the neighbours was doing yoga in the lobby here, so me reading a book can hardly be seen as strange... :lol:

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:51 pm

*hugs Greentea*

Why not take your book to a library or a cafe instead? I'm not sure, but I can't imagine sitting in the lobby will be very cheerful at all- you'll just see people passing by and feel ignored and even more miserable.

Seriously, just get out and go hunt for a cafe. Especially one you've never been in before (they're the hardest but if you're like me, you feel like you've achieved something when you leave i.e. added a new place to your list of haunts)

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 2:14 pm

Actually it's understandable.
However I don't believe I would do the same thing. I hate being near windows and stuff, cause I don't like my neighbors seeing me. Usually I don't mind if it's someone who has never seen me before, or if it's someone I'm comfortable with (which is currently no one).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:22 pm

Greentea wrote:
I'm so lonely I'm thinking of going downstairs to the building lobby with my book to read, at least see neighbours passing by once in a while. Not that I know them, we're very many and I'm new here, but just so I don't feel so alone. Have I lost my mind? 8O

Reading a book in a public place is certain to draw attention. Go for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 2:30 pm

I'm not so sure if he wants to draw attention. :?

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:49 pm

I say give it a try! If it feels weird, once you do, you can make another choice. There's nothing to lose just to try! Right?

Hugs!

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:16 pm

I think people also read newspapers and magazines in lobbies.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Oct 2008, 3:33 pm

If my apartment building had a lobby, I would do the same thing (I hate not knowing who my neighbors are - but don't know how to meet them.)

It seems to me that a visual connection with the people who live in your building is better than no connection at all. And as some have already said, it may lead to someone asking about your book - which is a real connection. Good luck! :)

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:27 pm

I used to read books on the stairwell. Trust me, you will look quite strange. Good way to attract a curious person who has the time to wonder who you are.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:56 pm

seems like you just need to talk to somebody

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 1:20 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback and reassurance!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:18 am

This is funny...I just found a notice by the elevator saying that they feel the tenants should have some social time together, so we're having a Happy Hour once a week at the start of the weekend, in the lobby. The person who suggested it wrote that this is an American custom and they brought the idea from the USA. Nice! I think I've found a really cool place to live... I always had this dream of living in an American kind of building, and I think I've found it without looking or knowing! We have a kind of super like in the American movies as well, and neighbors aren't nosy, and there are no kids - it's mostly single people and couples. Extremely quiet. Love the place! Maybe when I start reading in the lobby others will follow...