Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Maddy. I'm 17 in a few weeks time. I live in England. I'm new here. -waves.

I have suspicions that I may have Asperger's. I have been researching it recently and I feel that I fit quite a lot of the symptoms. I also did two little questionnaire things on the internet that backed up this suspicion. A part of me feels that if I was formally diagnosed with Asperger's, it would make me feel a bit more...well, it would explain why I am the way I am. On the other hand, I may not have it, and also even if I do have it, is it really worth being diagnosed? What is the purpose of being diagnosed with Asperger's other than for our own understanding?

I also have issues with my mental health that have not been formally diagnosed by a doctor, either; I am getting counselling for this at school and I may soon be referred to a psychiatric team by my counsellor to formally assess me. If I was seeking a diagnosis for Asperger's, who would I have to contact, and how would I go about it? For some reason the thought of visiting my GP about this makes me very anxious...I would much rather skip straight to a professional but I don't see how that would be possible.

Thank you for your time.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 6:23 pm

maddycakes__ wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm Maddy. I'm 17 in a few weeks time. I live in England. I'm new here. -waves.

Welcome to WP Maddy.

maddycakes__ wrote:
I have suspicions that I may have Asperger's. I have been researching it recently and I feel that I fit quite a lot of the symptoms. I also did two little questionnaire things on the internet that backed up this suspicion.

To be as sure as you can get by questionnaires try the ones in the General forum (link)

maddycakes__ wrote:
A part of me feels that if I was formally diagnosed with Asperger's, it would make me feel a bit more...well, it would explain why I am the way I am. On the other hand, I may not have it, and also even if I do have it, is it really worth being diagnosed?

It gives clarity and relative certainty

maddycakes__ wrote:
What is the purpose of being diagnosed with Asperger's other than for our own understanding?

Economic benefits, social health care options.

maddycakes__ wrote:
If I was seeking a diagnosis for Asperger's, who would I have to contact, and how would I go about it?

You're GP and get a referal to a psychiatrist.

maddycakes__ wrote:
For some reason the thought of visiting my GP about this makes me very anxious...I would much rather skip straight to a professional but I don't see how that would be possible.

Bring someone along for support. father or mother would help.

maddycakes__ wrote:
Thank you for your time.

You're welcome :wink:

Cheerfully,
Wallourdes

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2010, 6:24 pm

Thank you for your reply :)

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2010, 8:47 pm

If you need help you need a diagnosis, if you didn't need help there would be little point in seeking one. Sounds like you are already getting some help, a diagnosis can aid in getting the right help and give you insight on what's going on in your own head.

Funny enough, people can feel bad if they do or don't get an AS diagnosis. I don't know if PDD-NOS is given to older kids or adults, believe it or not, many of my daughters diagnosis's are based on what services insurance will cover best. If you get the AS diagnosis or not, if you identify with many of the symptoms you might find a lot of help researching it, or asking around here. Best of luck.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:30 am

I went around telling family members that I thought I was autistic but they all said I should not put much credence in internet tests or what you pick up on a message board. They even made fun of me for it. There were even jackasses on WP who would make remarks about me being self diagnosed. They were all shocked when I told them I was autistic having Asperger's syndrome. My family all thought I had ADHD but my doctor said I had no signs of it and was cheated out of a proper education.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2010, 1:33 am

I got a family doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist who specialized in autism. Then I had two long appointments with a psychologist who worked with the psychiatrist (these were filmed). Then the psychiatrist gave me a written diagnosis. I told them I wanted it in writing and on one page so I could show it to all the people who would want to do their own diagnosis. This way, if they don't like it they have to go argue with him. I have about half an inch high of reports to support all that. But I don't show that stuff around. Just the one-page Dx.

Good luck with diagnosis. :)

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2010, 1:48 pm

Thanks for your support everyone :) It's strange because when reading traits associated with Asperger's I find myself to have many of them, but I'd never thought there could be a 'proper' reason for them, if that makes sense? I don't know how to put it. I feel like I've always been sort of 'different' from everybody else and I think this could realistically be the reason why. I don't know if that would make it harder or easier for myself (and gradually everybody else) to accept, though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:35 pm

Only if you feel that it would be the right thing for you to do.