yes 36%  36%  [ 85 ]
no 34%  34%  [ 80 ]
maybe 29%  29%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 233

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 4:01 pm

Based on what? Which patient would have been better off dead, yet wasn't granted death?

Every time that I can recall that situation has come up, House has done everything in his power to save them, yet done nothing to continue their suffering when it was clear he couldn't help.

That he won't kill anyone who walks in and says they want to die without determining there's no way to end their suffering without killing them is hardly a character flaw, I think.

Seems more like you're criticizing Cuddy, who really does value life above quality of life, to the most radical extreme. She and House clash over it all the time. Cameron was like Cuddy in this way, until she gave one suffering man what he wanted. For which House was proud of her, by the way.

Wow, I've never been a geek about a television show. This is sad.

Last edited by Saerain on 24 Jan 2009, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2009, 4:03 pm

No, House is far too well-spoken to have Asperger's. All the Aspies I know have trouble tripping over words and using words oddly or wrongly.

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 4:10 pm

My understanding is that speaking well is an Asperger trait. The 'little professors' term isn't because of our fashion sense. We're not supposed to speak well in the rapid give-and-take way House does, but with high formality and pedantry. I've been struggling to speak and write less well for the past few years, because it annoys the hell out of people, which fires them into anti-intellectual quips, which annoys me.

If I don't try to loosen it up as I am here, my communication is positively robotic in precision. I like it. Others aren't so fond, so I beat it down. Aren't I altruistic?

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2009, 4:26 pm

I see it as having a large vocabulary, but using the wrong meaning of words. Having a different sense of context. Ignoring the most commonly understood meaning of a word in favor of intending the word to mean its more obscure meaning. Also, we don't usually engage in back-and-forth conversation.

24 Jan 2009, 4:28 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
wow, thats a tight poll!

it funny you should bring such a question up. i remember one episode where House is treating an autistic patient. Wilson goes and looks up the symtoms of autism and begins identifying them with Houses traits. He ''comicly'' comes to the conclusion that House has autism, a theory he then presents to Cuddy who tells him he's being ridiculous. I figured, he might be like me, mildly autistic.

Then about 8 months ago when i found out about Aspergers. I remembered this episode and figured that, no, he's not autistic, he's an Aspie. Also, based on the behaviour displayed by House in each episode, it seems abundantly clear that House is indeed an Aspie.

In that episode, they actually say he may have AS. The kid, at the end, gives away his PRIZED possession, a game, to House! In the beginning, even trying to disturb him while he was playing was met with a LOT of hostility. I think the writers definitely tried to show a side of House they don't often show, and tried to show a kind of alternate communication with the child.

But the doctor said he didn't have it and he just wants to have it so he can use it as an excuse and he is just an as*hole. He even mentioned autistic people aren't aware of things they say are rude but House is aware.

Saerain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2009, 4:37 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
But the doctor said he didn't have it and he just wants to have it so he can use it as an excuse and he is just an as*hole. He even mentioned autistic people aren't aware of things they say are rude but House is aware.

Wilson suggests to Cuddy that House has Asperger Syndrome. Wilson then tells House that he doesn't. It's not clear who Wilson is being honest to in that episode. Either seems Wilsonesque. Everyone lies to Cuddy, and it is established that Wilson lets House believe what he thinks House should believe, not necessarily what's true. That's one of the great differences between Wilson and House.

I do personally think Wilson was misleading Cuddy to convince her to give House his bloodstained carpet back, especially because it never came up again, but I have it admit it's not clear what the writers intended there.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 5:12 pm

i'm proud to say i have never watched an ep of this show (in part or in total) and never will......

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2009, 5:14 pm

Saerain wrote:
I do personally think Wilson was misleading Cuddy to convince her to give House his bloodstained carpet back, especially because it never came up again, but I have it admit it's not clear what the writers intended there.

I agree that Wilson was misleading Cuddy but at the same time the writers were not clear on the intentions.

I personally think that House does not have Aspergers, or he does and has simply managed to overcome many of the obstacles typically noted as Aspie traits. That said, I love the show.

Last edited by KazigluBey on 24 Jan 2009, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 6:08 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Saerain wrote:
Tritter should have gone to jail.

House should have gone to jail. IF not for the Vicodin, then for something else. I don't root for House at all, in case you haven't noticed. I don't admire House. I don't care if he is Aspie or not.

BTW Tritter was VERY angry and mean to house. I forget how, but he was. House gave him a rectal thermometer, and then basically just left. That was enough to make ANYONE embarassed and angry. From that moment on, tritter played EVERY stupid trick he could! He went from entrapment to create a traffic ticket, to purgury and illegal bank fraud. All that on the PRETENSE that perhaps house got his vicodin in a less than legal manner and was, perhaps, addicted. He ALSO tried to claim House was SELLING the drugs.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 6:19 pm

mysterious_misfit wrote:
I see it as having a large vocabulary, but using the wrong meaning of words. Having a different sense of context. Ignoring the most commonly understood meaning of a word in favor of intending the word to mean its more obscure meaning. Also, we don't usually engage in back-and-forth conversation.

"knowing" a word does NOT count if you can't use it correctly.

I if chattered this in vogue, might it show concern? Now did THAT make sense? If you switched the words around, and used certain words with similar meanings, it would be VERY clear! If, however, you looked at that first sentence, you might doubt I could even create a simple halfway coherent sentence in English.

BTW The sentence that was stretched to make that giberish was "If I spoke in this fashion, would it matter?"

ANYONE can parrot text. There are probably a few preschoolers that can recite how to do some brain surgery, etc.. You can't claim they are brain surgeons though.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 6:24 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Quote:
In that episode, they actually say he may have AS. The kid, at the end, gives away his PRIZED possession, a game, to House! In the beginning, even trying to disturb him while he was playing was met with a LOT of hostility. I think the writers definitely tried to show a side of House they don't often show, and tried to show a kind of alternate communication with the child.

Actually, HOUSE NEVER mentioned it! The two discussing were BOTH doctors. The one that suggested it was the one WORKING as a doctor! I think MOST autistics ARE aware, but don't consider it at first. House didn't always show he was that aware anyway. I have, at times, spoken in the same insulting fashion as house. Cuddy mentioned one such type of phrasing. Yet it is pretty much HABIT with me. Some things I just don't want to change. Like Cuddy said about house, I generally hold back!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:02 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:

But that doctor is not qualified (in the internal reality of the show) to (un)diagnose autism disorders. And house didnt make any claims, wilson did. She is attributing an fallacious claim to House.

And we ARE aware that we say rude things. Its just they come out of our mouths and then we realize(at least once we are older). And frankly, I dont tend to backtrack when I do. It just makes me look like an ass AND weak.

25 Jan 2009, 1:38 am

If we do realize we are saying rude things, then it's not AS, we're just being as*holes.

I don't even know when I say rude things.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:49 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
If we do realize we are saying rude things, then it's not AS, we're just being as*holes.

I don't even know when I say rude things.

I am at times unaware of it either, but one does not preclude the other. Its entirely possibly to be an aspie as*hole. The as*hole label is externally applied, and innocent intentions unfortunately does not negate it. We are at all times judged by our actions but forgiven based on perceived intent.

Thus the hard life of an aspie.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 5:46 am

I've learned not to say rude things, unless it is my intention to be rude. I'm proud to say I've risen above my less-forgivable Aspie quirks. But I'm still an Aspie and I still have typical Aspie moments.

For example, on Saturday I was supposed to take the GO train to attend my sister's birthday dinner in Oakville. But I couldn't do it because of mY sensory issues. I hate walking around in the cold. I hate taking the train. I hate being afraid of getting lost. I hate that I have no sense of direction and that the train platforms do not tell you which direction the trains are going. I hate the sound a train makes when it engages its brakes.

My hypersensitivies to sound, light, and temperature are a real pain in the ass. :roll: :x

IndridCold
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2009, 5:06 pm

Most people here say: "No he can read people".

I have been diagnosed, I can read people. It took time, but now I can read people better than most NTs. That does not rule out his diagnosis.

They also mention things like: eye contact, understands metaphors, no sensory issues, etc.

I can make eye contact if necessary and am the master of metaphors. I have learned to ignore my hypersensitivity to a good extent.

As far as antisocial being a counter diagnosis, I am the most antisocial and anarchistic person I know. Almost every move I make is to spite the illogical rules that some idiot came up with.

I don't clean my room or make my bed. My hair is often messy and people say I should shave more. I don't smile in pictures specifically because I hate how people smile in pictures "simply because it is accepted".

I completely understand society's rules, I just reject them for being illogical.