Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 10:18 am

Having everyone their and all my family talking at once really stressed me out. I couldnt take all the sensory stuff.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 10:26 am

nightbender wrote:
Having everyone their and all my family talking at once really stressed me out. I couldnt take all the sensory stuff.

I was about ready to have a meltdown. I didn't eat much, and ate pretty fast so I could get out of there.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2008, 10:36 am

I was shaking a majority of the day yesterday, I took an anxiety pill and thankfully it calmed me down a little.

JeffMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2008, 11:05 am

I must admit, however, that this year has been better. Other years have been less fortunate. Then I've had such a pressure against your chest. Correct severe anxiety. It is precisely this period, which in the past has been dismal, while both before and after have been better.

But this year has been better. Do yourself surprised, it has been the past eight years, but this year has been the difference. Strange.

One reason may be that I made that I should spend Christmas with relatives. Can not stand the hypocrisy. There is nothing that distinguishes my family, but at Christmas celebrations of many, it is precisely where the hypocrisy. Everything should be as good.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:06 am

Was the same way. Cant eat, never can. so massively over stimulated, just cant take it. So freagin loud and so many people talking.

JeffMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2008, 11:17 am

Willa,

Could not put it better, just that people are talking at the same time, it is difficult to organize, difficult to get any concentration. It is just messy.
--------

Since it is so, is there any time the psychiatric clinics are overcrowded, so it is at Christmas. To spend Christmas at a psychiatric clinic, must be torture, I would consider.

Would be interesting to know whether there were any statistics on the entire prescription, December the just how much Valium / Xanax / etc. increases.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:27 am

Yesterday, it was so much noise at my house. There were people who clearly had too much to drink, and these were the worst. They were really loud, and they thought the jokes they made were funny, when they really were obnoxious.

I had requested to work on that day at my job, and for the most part at the store it was quiet as the crowds were gone and people were at home having dinner. So this did help, as most of the day I was away from the irritating people at home.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:30 am

Thanksgiving stresses everyone out, regardless. I didn't have much in the way of family around, but people are used to me not talking. I got through it fairly ok.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:42 am

pakled wrote:
Thanksgiving stresses everyone out, regardless. I didn't have much in the way of family around, but people are used to me not talking. I got through it fairly ok.

For me its the opposite of everyone else though. I can see the stress in other people. My mom goes nuts, no amount of social blindness can stop me from seeing how stressed she gets, cooking and dealing with cleaning and people canceling and people calling last minute to see if they can come etc etc. And I dont mind that, i enjoy the cleaning, dont mind running errands, going to bakers square and waiting 30 minutes in line to get a few pies. I enjoy cooking.

Then there is the eating. Where everyone sits down to rest and eat and talk, and I cant take it. There are like 3 conversations going and everyone is using normal 'inside' voices but combined its like a band of brass instruments is playing in my ear, i cant make sense of anything. God I hate it.

But then everyone starts leaving and I can enjoy myself cleaning up at my moms house.

Its stressful for everyone but just different for me and i'm guessing its like that amongst most of us.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:50 am

We had a very quiet Thanksgiving this year, but in past years I used to excuse myself several times during the meal and go out on the deck to enjoy some peace and serenity. In the beginning I was asked why and I told the truth, I was overstimulated and needed some quiet; after awhile everybody just expected it. :D

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 12:06 pm

this year was horrible. My family usually goes to my dad's sister's place, but my mom's mom turns 90(!) this december, she wanted the whole family there for thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, i love my mom's family, but they only come in 2 volumes, Loud and Louder. and we had about 30 people, and that wasn't even the whole family!! !! I freaked & spent half the time in my uncle's workshop checking out his old dirt-track racecar. (for any race fans out there its a big-block Modified). The rest of the time I spent writing and trying to avoid the snowballs flying around the porch.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Nov 2008, 1:07 pm

We have quieter Thanksgivings, though my kids get kind of roudy. This time we had me and my wife, our two sons, and my wife's parents and my parents at the table. But it wasn't noisy. However, when I was listening to CNN later on I was trying to hear the latest on the hostage situation and because of everything going on in the room I just couldn't quite focus in. Getting sleepy from eating the turkey didn't help---I ended up taking a nap on the couch. Later, my wife's niece stopped in to say "hello". She had just had breast reduction surgery the week before so that made for an awkward situation when my wife asked me in front of her, "Doesn't she look better now?" I'm like trying to think how to respond about such a matter. I think that would make anyone feel awkward.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 1:10 pm

Only one stressful incident, when Mrs. Fnord and I clashed over which serving bowls to use for what food. Other than that, everyone had a good time, helped clean up, and took away much of the leftovers.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:40 pm

It would have been fine if my family went somewhere else, but they came to my parents' house where I live and the horrible thing about my family is that they don't know how to take turns in a conversation. They talk OVER each other so it's always just so incredibly loud (I still have a headache). Then at some point someone *had* to bring a freaking baby.

Quick poll: anyone else not see the point in making a fuss over babies and find babytalk REALLY annoying? That pitch just drives me nuts.

And then he starts crying, probably because of the noise.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 5:06 pm

your def not alone! omgosh it was so stressful for me. I hate sitting and eating with everybody first of all, but our plans got messed up and half the day they spent trying to get me out of my room lol, even my brothers gf stayed longer to try to ease the transition easier, and help the change be easier. I had a mini meltdown punched somebody, and stormed into my room, and once i end up in my room it takes the jaws of life to pull me out lol, i wasnt really stressed either, i was very content and happy on my bed flapping, screeching and bouncing on my bed. We play a game every thanksgiving to keep me interested so i dont melt down or disappear, but i didnt wanna play, i wanted to play simon says lol, but that didnt happen either. Any holiday is just too much for me, unless its the same way every year, i cant handle it.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 8:25 pm

willa wrote:
like a band of brass instruments is playing in my ear

that's a very apt description.

god how I dread Christmas...