Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 3:13 pm

I sing to myself a lot, usually something appropriate to my mood at the time.

The year is still young.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 3:17 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I think everyone does this LOL! :-) Not sure if there's a term for it though.

I think everyone does this to a limited extent but Ive been told by people that the way I do it isnt like what they do. That is: I tend talk to myself in very long monologues and because I often do it compulsively in public as well as in private, many people think that Im mentally ill.For instance when I go a friends house and go to the bathroom, I'll do it there and then someone knocks on the door asking who Im talking to :? . Ive even been questioned by the police when doing it outside near the appartment building where I live because someone phoned in a suspicious persons report. So its become quite clear that my style of talking to myself is noticeably abnormal and attracts unwanted attention. Im beginning to think that it very welll be my own form of stimming, even though its not quite a stereotypy because I dont repeat myself.....

Teddy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2008, 3:25 pm

I talk to myself constantly, usually im pretending to be someone else, so Im verbalsing what they think (Not crazy, I know Im pretending!)

But I have it sweet - I talk to myself in sign language, no one knows what Im doing!

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2008, 3:31 pm

lelia wrote:
:lol: :lol: I am constantly asking myself why did I come into this room? Also I talk to animals and inanimate objects a lot. Yesterday I told the sprayer, There you are! I have been looking for you all summer!

I do exactly the same thing, i talk to myself, to objects, and to the tv a lot.
Sometimes I dont even realise I am doing it, even when im at work :roll:

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 3:32 pm

I've had a habit of saying things out loud on my mind, regardless of where I happen to be at the time. It can be embarrassing as you would imagine and probably know. Funny, my father always has done that too.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 3:47 pm

I have someone who I often imagine is there in the room with me, just quietly keeping me company, like a shadow or a ghost. Often I'll say something to him; some thoughts about life, or an observation about something. I almost never use my full voice, but I do actually move my mouth and say the words with no voice, so it's a bit different than regular "internal dialog".

I do know that he's not really there, and that there is no real conversation going on, but I concede, it does have a kind of "imaginary friend" ring to it. He doesn't answer in any kind of detail, or tell me to overthrow the government, or anything like that. Heh, heh. That would be funny if he did, though.

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2008, 10:13 pm

I have had angry mental conversations, playing both parts, if I recently had one of those THAT's-what-I-should-have-said moments. I play it out with more energy than is probably healthy and sometimes it erupts through my mouth.

I have considered sticking a Bluetooth in my ear. License to rave, eh?

dp

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2008, 10:30 pm

When I am trying to find something, I say it out loud till I find it, which is often.

yvonnecs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2008, 10:36 pm

I talk to things, animals, and myself. I don't know what you mean as far as length for 'monologues' but I'll rehearse out loud if I need to say something specific to someone, IE an explanation or getting something off my chest or if I'm mad. Sometimes I'll talk my biography (I'm a writer) out loud "I was born in" etc. or a book I might think of writing or a story, but I'm not writing it down so really it's just out there.

I call it normal cause I don't like the alternatives.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 10:45 pm

I do it too. I know people think it is strange, so try not to let others hear me. I mostly just talk to myself when I am alone in the car. I have also always had a bit of a problem with talking to myself in the mirror. It freaks me out a little. I just avoid mirrors now, so do not do it much anymore.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 11:14 pm

When I buy things, like groceries I talk to myself quietly. At home I do it a lot because it helps me understand my thoughts. I can recall many times when people have asked me who I was speaking to, to which I replied 'I was thinking out loud.'
Someone asked me if I had a hands free mobile phone once :oops:

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:20 am

I have to talk to myself sometimes, especially when I'm sleep deprived, in order to focus. I seem to do it a lot at stores when I notice things in price that I think they are trying to trick the consumer. But, somewhere today, I said something out loud to myself like, "Why do I keep buying stuff to make something that I didn't buy to begin with." I decided not to buy a meat to make a certain dinner because the size options were not do able with my space availabity in the freezer, but I kept trying to buy stuff to make that meat like pickles and bacon. When I caught myself, I just blurted it out so loud that this lady looked at me funny. I swore I wasn't psychotic, and she swore she understood perfectly as she's been there herself. I often too find myself talking myself out of buying something I don't need out loud. Most of the time I don't realize I do it, and I did get in trouble frequently for doing it at one of my previous employments (in accounting).

Maddkow

10 Dec 2008, 3:41 pm

This happens to be one of my biggest "signs". I remember back in middle school one kid that was sitting next to me was trying to get a few other kids' to notice me talking to myself "Hey look at him, Charley's talking to himself. Isn't that weird?" In actuality I still talk to myself, and a lot of the times get lost in my own train of thoughts. Sometimes I'll end up that way for 30 minutes, and then catch myself, also noticing I was twirling my pen or rapidly moving my fingers. I've tried to explain in a metaphor or so how it is when I talk to myself - that of the mind being a filing cabinet, so I'm actually going to attempt to draw/sketch or paint out a picture of what I'm implying.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 4:57 pm

I talk to myself and inanimate objects all the time. It's not like I expect any sort of reply, but jsut to sort of get myself through the task and/or day. I don't care anymore about whether or not people think I'm crazy.

cdc2001c

11 Dec 2008, 12:32 am

I do this, I try to keep it all internal, but sometimes it slips out when I am around people and I may not realize it. I am having this deep internal monologue with myself and it just sometimes comes out loud.