Monster Ad - The Final Insult To Autistics

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2009, 11:14 am

Monster Ad - The Final Insult To Autistics

Action for Children's Monster Dan advertising campaign hit an all time low last night. Their ill fated ads have been condemned by thousands of autistics and parents - and astonishingly Tony Attwood and Simon Baron-Cohen have lent their support to the protesters.

During the break in the Everton v Liverpool football match, the ad cut on the line "I use to lash out" to a shot of a man being punched in the face and repeatedly kicked and beaten - seen in the here on The New Republic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCItkm1Vd9s[/youtube]

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 12:58 pm

If im not wrong, when the drawings stop and it becomes real people, a second advert has just been merged into the 1st one. Because the second one with the fight is for a new car. But i might be wrong.

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2009, 1:02 pm

You're right...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 1:08 pm

Harry, have you considered going into advertising yourself? You seem to have a flair for this sort of thing, and I think we need some of our own to do counter-advertising.

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2009, 2:15 pm

I did and it go banned from YouTube - Twice :-(

But one vid's still knocking about and I'm hacking out a press release about the campaign with a couple of others...

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2009, 4:10 pm

I must have missed something. What does this have to do with autism?

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2009, 7:44 pm

DJRnold wrote:
I must have missed something. What does this have to do with autism?

I missed it too. It's a dude kicking another dude's ass. How is that autism??

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 12:21 am

HarryWilliams wrote:
I did and it go banned from YouTube - Twice :-(

But one vid's still knocking about and I'm hacking out a press release about the campaign with a couple of others...

Well, if you don't have enough tact to be a scientist (how do they do it???), and you don't have enough tact to be in advertising either, perhaps you could be a rock star with a platform. Can you sing? :wink:

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:05 am

So wait..people with Asperger's are monsters tll they get treated so once thay are like everyone one else, they become beople? I think I know who are the real monsters

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 4:30 am

Eggman wrote:
So wait..people with Asperger's are monsters tll they get treated so once thay are like everyone one else, they become beople? I think I know who are the real monsters

Exactly.

Except, it seems that advert is talking about anger issues but for some reason it mentions autism, they should have just not put the autism bit in.

geniuskid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2009, 7:18 am

Please describe what is going on in the OP so that readers don't have to do research themselves.

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2009, 7:26 am

Action for Children's ill-fated Monster Dan advertising campaign hit a new all time low last night, leaving even seasoned observers, struggling for life as their brains failed to integrate the merciless onslaught of surrealism.

merciless onslaught of surrealism

During the break in the Everton v Liverpool football match, the advert featuring the autistic boy "Dan", cut on the line "I use to lash out" to a shot of a man being punched in the face and repeatedly kicked and beaten - seen in the video above.

punched in the face and repeatedly kicked and beaten

In what ITV called an "unprecedented technical error", the ad campaign exhausted the New Republic's supply of hyperbolic rhetoric and has left us desperately scrabbling for a Latin phrase to best describe this melange of half-baked, Soho ad-agency corporate onanism and spectacularly inflammatory stupidity.

unprecedented technical error

There needs to be an immediate inquiry to establish how this grossly offensive and provocative act happened. Unfortunately, due to a combination of two inches of snow paralysing a first world nation and the shock, horror and heart-ache of missing seeing a goal being scored, this cannot now take place.

shock, horror and heart-ache

Instead, all normal decency and respect for the feelings of a significant and disadvantaged minority of people will be rammed up Fabrice's arse to cry's of "one more for the Light Blues!", while Laurence attempts that really tricky riff from Black And Blue.

edgy new brand identity factor

Steve and Dan will be filming the event and it'll be repackaged as an edgy new brand identity factor and sold to the next high street retailer that wants to go bankrupt quickly.

hyperbolic rhetoric exhausted

Benneton Middleclass, Media Lickspittle, from the Help Autistic People and Parents In Extremis Society (H.A.P.P.I.E.S), said, "Ummm, like yah, well, I mean it'll all be over soon and I'm going off to work in Africa in a couple of months, 'cause I'm just so totally like humanitarian see, so yeah, whatever"

geniuskid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2009, 7:38 am

Seems like a silly thing to be upset over.

kittenmeow
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2009, 10:56 am

No, it's not a silly thing to be upset over. It's this kind of garbage that adds more negative stigma and promote more bullying and less acceptance.

Why is that silly? So what do you suggest? Not do anything or say anything so that these opportunists can continue to make money off of autism which they clearly don't understand, continue to speak for everyone on the autistic spectrum and claim they are such kind caring souls?

I think not!

HarryWilliams
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2009, 11:40 am

Thanks Kitty,

Tried to PM you but these new flash ads are ruining my old computer.

pm for my email, if need to communicate....

geniuskid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2009, 12:38 pm

kittenmeow wrote:
No, it's not a silly thing to be upset over. It's this kind of garbage that adds more negative stigma and promote more bullying and less acceptance.

Why is that silly? So what do you suggest? Not do anything or say anything so that these opportunists can continue to make money off of autism which they clearly don't understand, continue to speak for everyone on the autistic spectrum and claim they are such kind caring souls?

I think not!

I suggest not doing anything.
Firstly, little school kids don't know anything about autism so they'll dismiss the entire ad as yet another adult thing they don't understand yet. No bullying.
Secondly, this company clearly understands autism because that's what they base their income on. As for "speaking for everyone on the autistic spectrum", I sincerely doubt that anyone except militant autistics would agree that this is what they're doing, rather than informing the audience about their services.