Hyper-empathy and mirror-touch synaesthesia

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2012, 12:58 pm

I really identify with the "tasting words" part. Though I also find that languages in general have tastes or textures. It's hard for me to taste English since it's my native tounge, but French kind of tasted like almonds, slightly bitter and smooth. Japanese has very little taste but has the texture of water. I think it's one reason why I am particular about words, colors, textures etc. in general. The sensations overlap. I think this is also part of why I subvocalize when I read because the sound of the word in my head is connected to a variety of sensations that I associate with the meaning of the word. As an artist I think it helps me to coordinate colors/textures etc. and in general I enjoy it.

I don't feel a complete mirror of others in terms of physical touch. Perhaps an analogy would be more like a warped or somewhat dirty mirror. I might feel something, but not exactly the same as I observe. Sometimes it's more generalized. For instance, looking at a plastic replica of a human with the muscles exposed causes a certain level of discomfort, though not (I would imagine) the same as if I had actually had my own skin removed. I do feel like the emotions of others can affect me, rather like a drop of dye in a glass of water. Sometimes it can be energizing but other times I feel a need to escape and be by myself.

I prefer to engage with people one on one or in small groups because it's much easier to keep track of their emotions whereas a larger group is overwhelming and the added layer of social context is much more difficult to navigate. This is probably one of the reasons why I have reclusive tendencies.

edotsey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2016, 2:36 am

I just found out this Summer that feeling the pain of others wasn't "normal." I thought everyone did!! ! I have a hard time watching violent movies because it literally hurts. Lol. But I'm really good at massage because I feel the back rub while I'm giving it :D

I'm sometimes able to detatch from it so that's good!! But like, in High School, when we dissected a frog, I literally felt like I was being cut; not like, in the same way but it's an uncomfortable feeling, especially over the ribcage. I'm able to empathize easily with people though that's not always good for me.

Anyways, I'm still not convinced that everyone can't feel the pain of others... Otherwise, how do you empathize and why do you flinch when someone breaks something??