Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2009, 9:05 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
I've totally done that. I can even do it when I read out loud to try to help myself focus. I read and pronounce each word without a word of it soaking in.

It is difficult when I really need to study something :?

I do it too, and I've tried reading out loud too to help myself but I think I space out more reading out loud than reading in my head!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:05 pm

...Me ????????? :P :wink:

nicknickattack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2009, 9:40 pm

has anyone here been tested for Irlen syndrome, that can cause you to read slow and feel spaced, i know what you all mean tho, when i read the "death" of harry in the last potter book, i was reading about 3 times faster than usual just to find out what was going on, and i felt like i was high

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 9:54 pm

Zoom lens malfunction topic

Right now I cannot concentrate when I read. i believe there may be some depression/anxiety. I will be patient and it will pass, as it always does. :)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:17 pm

OccamsIndecision wrote:

Quote:
I also have moments where my mind wanders away from what I'm reading and I start making up my own story, or start thinking about people.

I've been doing this too. What causes this?

I don't know. I can't even concentrate while listening to someone talk, my mind just wanders off. I like to think I have a hyperactive brain.
I do it while watching a movie too. If I'm not interested in the story I'll make another up.
nicknickattack wrote:
has anyone here been tested for Irlen syndrome, that can cause you to read slow and feel spaced, i know what you all mean tho, when i read the "death" of harry in the last potter book, i was reading about 3 times faster than usual just to find out what was going on, and i felt like i was high

I've only done online tests but it sounds like me. I don't have enough money for a full assessment.

When I was reading the 6th Harry Potter book I had to re-read paragraphs because I wasn't comprehending or remembering what I read.
I had that problem in school too, just worse because I always ended up with a bad grade in English class.
I think I read that HP chapter really fast too. Actually the battle at Hogwarts I sped through, and re-read lines.

Does anyone re-read lines that really get their interest? Like if something is written where I think 'woah, did they just say that?' Or 'I can't believe that happened' - I'll re-read it, maybe so I can remember it or if my eyes were not deceiving me.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:40 pm

nicknickattack wrote:

Its not even a widely accepted diagnosis. Although it wouldn't surprise me if based on the little I've read that I have it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 10:46 pm

ShyGorilla wrote:
usually it is related to whatever I'm reading, it'll remind me of something else and I'll ponder that for a while. eventually I'll realize I'm spacing and do a head shake and try to find where I left off.

Same thing here, but it really does depend on the author's writing style.

Can't say I've ever read an entire book without comprehending it, though o_O The furthest I ever go is a page. I'll always realize I'm not paying attention when it's time to go to the next page, if I don't figure it out before then.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2009, 10:49 pm

Ha I was just doing that about 10 minutes ago.... Yeah I have to go back and re-read many pages because any little things gets my attention off the book and daydreaming onto something else... I assume it's the hypersensitivity along with my ADD

nicknickattack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2009, 11:04 pm

if you live in the UK your local LEA will pay for an irlen assesment if ur in fulltime education, even uni,

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:07 pm

nicknickattack wrote:
if you live in the UK your local LEA will pay for an irlen assesment if ur in fulltime education, even uni,

I'm in Canada, and I doubt its an actual diagnosis here. I could get it covered by OHIP if I could find a place to do it, but as I said, its not a widely accepted diagnosis, so I'm not too worried. Plus the lenses they give you cost an arm and a leg.

hypermorphic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jan 2009, 11:32 pm

I've been explaining this problem to people for years when they ask me why I don't read fiction. I can get about two paragraphs in before my mind starts wandering off on tangents if it's at all interesting, or completely elsewhere if it's not. The part of my brain that translates letters into words keeps going, but it's completely disconnected from any active thought until I happen to notice I'm still reading.

Interesting non-fiction I have no problem with, and I had no trouble at all with the Harry Potter series, because they're awesome. I managed to get through a couple of Palahniuk novels recently over the course of a few days, but then I lost my obsession with them and now they're impenetrable again.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2009, 11:52 pm

bonez wrote:
i notice that sometimes when i read a book that i start spacing out while i'm reading and i keep on reading while i'm completely spaced out, not paying attention to a single word. its like thw words go in one ear, and out the other. and then i have to go back and reread the stuff i "missed".... One time, i read an entire book and when i finished the last page, i realized that i had been spacing out since page 3! i tried to open the book at random places to convince myself that i really was paying attention and maybe i just forgot, but all the characters names and the plot and everything was new to me, as if i never read it before.... but i was turning the pages after i finished each page, so i must have been reading it right? i was laughing so hard after i realized what i did! lol Did this ever happen to any of you? or did u ever hear of such a thing happening?

That is exactly why I don't read any books, and stick to magazines, etc.... No matter how hard I try, my mind will drift and I will start spacing out. :lol: I am only able to pay attention if I am really interested in something, or I really need to know the info. Even then it is difficult. I have the best results when I read something pertaining to one of my obsessions.

Those who know, don't speak.

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2009, 12:16 am

whats hyperlexia?

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2009, 12:22 am

pensieve wrote:
I used to not be able to comprehend what I read. I think it was mild dyslexia or scotopic sensitivity. Do you have any problems with the page being too bright, skip lines and insert words that aren't there?

I do have problems sometimes with skipping lines, letters bouncing around on the page/appearing upside down, or subconsciously correct grammar (not always the best thing to do, considering that I am an editor). A psychologist once recommended that I lay a colored transparency over the page. This helps. Also, if I am reading on a computer screen, I almost always high light the text, which has the same effect.

re: OP, I have also done this (happened frequently in college), but I don't think I ever made it more than 30 pages before realizing what I was doing.

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2009, 1:37 am

I have never read a book completely in my life time, too labourous and I need to take a sleep. All the difficulties spoken of are familiar, schooling was the worst. Could never copy down the teachers written work from the blackboard in time.

Had a consultation with a Behavioural optomertrist before Xmas for an assessment in relation to my reading difficulties. I am not dyslexic or Irlene syndrome impaired.

Early assessment indicates eye tracking impairment with a spacial processing problem. I was told my reading processing ability is of a 13year old. Simply put, I'm putting so much energy into reading, my brain is exhausted when attemptin to process the message or idea in the content.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2009, 1:41 am

I have noticed that about my self before, it seems my eyes will move across every word, and about a page or two later I realize I didn't read anything. I thought this at first to only happen to myself, and then while being in class, my teacher explained to the class that he does this, and he was as NT as can be. I never really have told anyone that I do this, and he brought it up on his own.

So I suppose this is not an AS only trait, but then again there may be a difference as to how or why we do it, as compared to them.

The effect is looking at the words and not reading anything without realizing it until later, the cause, well that could be different from an NT as compared to someone with with AS.