Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cryforthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2010, 1:32 pm

For me I would say it's a sign of ADD. But the more I have been reading about Asperger's and the fact that I have Dyslexia. I'm ruling out the ADD that would make me not want to do homework. It was the Dysleixa that made that part made me not want to do it becasue it's like having a nightmare.

But sense no one ever told me about the ADD and all of the tests I had were more about my Dyslexia any ways. So yeah when reading there are times where things just get odd and I don't remember what if I just read something or not.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 8:11 am

bonez wrote:
i notice that sometimes when i read a book that i start spacing out while i'm reading and i keep on reading while i'm completely spaced out, not paying attention to a single word. its like thw words go in one ear, and out the other. and then i have to go back and reread the stuff i "missed".... One time, i read an entire book and when i finished the last page, i realized that i had been spacing out since page 3! i tried to open the book at random places to convince myself that i really was paying attention and maybe i just forgot, but all the characters names and the plot and everything was new to me, as if i never read it before.... but i was turning the pages after i finished each page, so i must have been reading it right? i was laughing so hard after i realized what i did! lol Did this ever happen to any of you? or did u ever hear of such a thing happening?

---

Possibilities

A type of epilepsy (such as petit mal/absence/complex partial/TLE, etc.)

A type of ADHD (such as ADHD Inattentive)

Other

---

Generally speaking, epilepsy medicines can reduce seizures but the epilepsy medicines are not known to really improve the ability to pay attention.

In contrast to the epilepsy medicines, the meds for ADHD (historically the central nervous system stimulants - alerting agents) can improve the ability to pay attention a little for some users (not a cure).

Classic epilepsy is not ADHD.

Classic ADHD is not epilepsy.

The meds used to treat both neurological challenges are quite different from one another:

- Anti-seizure meds (for epilepsy)
- Stimulants - alerting agents (example: Coffee, caffeine, Ritalin, Dexedrine, Adderall, etc.) for ADHD

None of the epilepsy medicines and none of the medicines used for ADHD are cures at all.

That's my understanding.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 3:05 pm

bonez wrote:
i notice that sometimes when i read a book that i start spacing out while i'm reading and i keep on reading while i'm completely spaced out, not paying attention to a single word. its like thw words go in one ear, and out the other. and then i have to go back and reread the stuff i "missed".... One time, i read an entire book and when i finished the last page, i realized that i had been spacing out since page 3! i tried to open the book at random places to convince myself that i really was paying attention and maybe i just forgot, but all the characters names and the plot and everything was new to me, as if i never read it before.... but i was turning the pages after i finished each page, so i must have been reading it right? i was laughing so hard after i realized what i did! lol Did this ever happen to any of you? or did u ever hear of such a thing happening?

Holy s**t! I do that as well! I wonder if this is common? Thing is, I love reading, but I often find myself spacing out a lot. I also read at a relatively fast pace and I still space out at times when I'm reading a book (not so much articles online, for some reason).

I also sometimes find it hard to visualise what is being described. For instance, I'm currently trying to read "Do Andoriads Dream of electric Sheep" and in one of the chapters, the character does something but I have no clue why they are hearing voices and why cans are being thrown at them and if they are still at home or at their job, etc. I'm going to have to read that chapter again. I have so many books that I haven't completed because of this, ughh. It's just so much easier to focus of non-fiction, to be honest.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 3:27 pm

Oh I don't space out. I'm very careful to take in every single author's thought. If I think I missed something I go back and re-read the chapter.

Inability to concentrate is my problem.

Read one paragraph, play with the phone, stare in the distance while debating the philosophical implication of the previous chapter, play more with the phone, read next paragraph, realize I missed a subtext, re-read half of the previous parahraph, play with the phone, look away and think about what it all means, read, play, wonder off, read,....

:roll:

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:49 pm

I think spacing out happens to everyone once in a while.

I used to space out while reading a book, now I just space out while holding a book open and staring at it (while occasionally flipping the page). I don't know what's wrong with me. I never thought it'd be possible for me to outgrow reading, but I guess it is. :?

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2020, 7:55 am

I don't space out but very slow reader so can somewhat understand the characters.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 8:06 am

Me too especially when the line under it would make sense combined with the line above it.

I found lockdown helped cos I was 100% focused on the book.

I wonder if it's part of taking time to process life etc with the book? And all the sensory stuff that goes on in life? Taking a breather etc?

I find one thing that's helping me is not having any pressure on myself to finish at a set time. Not helpful if you have a deadline though!

"So for example, there are certain sentences that make sense combined.
And indeed - the book which I am reading at the moment is read more slowly."

I would be as equally likely to read this as "so for example, the book..." than "So for example, there are certain..."

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Sep 2020, 11:19 pm

Amik wrote:
I often space out while reading a book, but I don't continue reading while I do it. I often start reading and then my imagination goes off and instead of continuing to read I find myself imagining what happens next.

This was me when I was in elementary school. I was a very slow reader. It took me awhile before I--first--consciously realized how much I spaced out, imagining myself in the story or imagining variations or what-ifs with the non-fiction or fiction content.

Later in life (high school, college, and beyond), it slowly became apparent through conversations with friends that this imagining of the book itself gave me a gift of memory: I'd never had to re-read a book(*). It wasn't exactly a photographic memory, but it was a plot, partial detail, and distant "VCR" in my head: all because I had "lived" in the book off and off all while reading it. My mind had been playing with the content and "living" in it--if even "stuck" on one page sometimes...

Now, though, I do wish I could re-capture some of the slow pace of life that led to having the time to read, sit, and imagine my way through books... (I let myself get caught up with too much of the easy entertainment of the modern world--or the worries and concerns....)

(*)The Harry Potter books were the first that I remember re-reading. :)