Do you have a weak sense of taste/smell?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:35 pm

Weather wrote:
Since I don't know what raw fish smells like I don't care.

You're not missing out on much. I remember when I was younger there was a seafood area of a supermarket and I would hold my breath every time my mum and I would pass that area. It was horrible.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2009, 12:25 am

I can't smell very well, and as for my taste I think its where it should be.

HolyAtheist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2009, 11:26 am

Most of my senses are just the opposite: highly sensitive.

I'm not bothered too much by hot or cold weather though.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 5:50 pm

I have always had a very weak sense of smell. Not significantly effected by smoking. But recently, when I tried a few Rx drugs, my sense of smell got really weird. And it stayed weird for a couple of years after I stopped taking the stuff. I think it's back to normal now.

Maybe I'll try to explain it sometime, but I gotta go and pick up my kid.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:31 pm

pensieve wrote:
Weather wrote:
Since I don't know what raw fish smells like I don't care.

You're not missing out on much. I remember when I was younger there was a seafood area of a supermarket and I would hold my breath every time my mum and I would pass that area. It was horrible.

If the smell of the fish was that bad, the fish was starting to go bad. Fresh fish doesn't smell at all. It is when it has been sitting for a while that it starts to smell.

I have a particularly weak sense of smell, I cannot generally smell fish that is going bad unless I put my nose in the fish, so I have to rely on things I learned growing up to tell if fish isn't fresh... My local grocery store never had fresh fish, except once a week when they get a shipment. I can tell if a fish is fresh by looking at it, its hard to explain how, I just know. I can however smell popcorn and smoker very very strongly, love the popcorn smell, the smoker smell drives me nuts and makes me want to grab that bloody cigarette and tear it into a million peices.

My sense of taste would seem to be normal, and I am addicted to the tastes of certain foods, especially Japanese foods.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2009, 6:44 pm

I'm diagnosed as anosmic, and can smell barely anything. Sadly food's largely a texture thing to me

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 7:06 pm

I'm sensitive to smell, taste, touch, heat and even my emotions are sensitive.
Before knowing much about hypersensitivity I would say I was sensitive to everything. I remember chocking on incense and fly spray when I was younger.
I love a lot of flavour in food though, but can't stand anything hot and spicy.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 7:16 pm

pensieve wrote:
I'm sensitive to smell, taste, touch, heat and even my emotions are sensitive.
Before knowing much about hypersensitivity I would say I was sensitive to everything. I remember chocking on incense and fly spray when I was younger.
I love a lot of flavour in food though, but can't stand anything hot and spicy.

I like mildly spicy foods, and so chipolte has become my favourite spice, it is relatively mild, and has a nice smokey flavour to it, a must add to any steak.

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2009, 7:46 pm

Nope. From a young age I've always smelled things before I would actually touch them or eat them. Maybe that is what helped me all of these years. When I smell things I can taste them in a way.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 9:06 pm

I have a horrible sense of smell. However, I'm not sure if its always been like that, or if its a result of getting my nose broken in a fight and having it heal crooked.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 3:15 am

I'd give so much to knock my sense of smell down by about 300%. I think my dogs are jealous of me. It's yet another sense that's jacked up so much it makes living unbearable. :cry:

Taste is normal... I think. I don't know what normal is. I don't like a lot of foods, but I've never bitten into something and said "Ew! This is so salty/sour/sweet" and someone else said they didn't taste anything like that.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 4:27 am

sense of smell is overpowering and crippling at times..... canlead to nausea and a lot of retching day to day.

hyposensitive to taste....barely taste anything. crave extra hot asian chillli sauce (not the sweet stuff but the full xxxx strength) and salt on everything.
Occasionally i have to stop eating the chilli sauce because i end up with psoriasis from it..

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 6:51 am

Mutanatia wrote:
I have a particularly weak sense of taste and smell. For taste, unless it's strong, it's all about the texture. For smell...well...my parents swear there's always a smell in my room, and that I smell because I don't use deodorant, but unless it's like...strong, I can't smell it... :/

The story of my life. Fortunately I am able to taste.

Play it safe. Use deodorant.

ruveyn

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:35 am

I used to have an extremely strong sense of smell when I was younger. I've been told I used to sniff everyone and everything.

This is strange, because these days it's very weak. It might be due to me being a smoker.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 9:40 am

You may be deficient in zinc.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 10:28 am

There was one parcular smell that drove me nuts to the point of almost a cross between panic and hate. It was almost like a cross between cinnamon, sweat, grease, and wet dog. I have only ever smelled it in my dad's van a few times when he used to drive me and my step sister to work back in the days when I worked at mcdonalds. The smell was so powerful and wretched that... I don't even know how to describe the feeling it gave me...

Edit: does anyone know what this smell is of?