Adult Asperger's assessment by Simon Baron-Cohen

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2009, 1:37 am

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/aaa_test.asp

I believe it was created by him. anyway it was created in response to the criteria not being good enough for adults I believe.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 1:47 am

It's a modified DSM-IV-TR, but with some added bits and a higher threshold of symptoms needed to receive a diagnosis; Professor Attwood has something similar on his site.

They say that the DSM-IV-TR doesn't require enough to meet a diagnosis of Asperger's or Autism.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 2:15 am

I couldn't get the test to load. The thing is, I've been tested to death. I've had two board certified drs (including a neuropsychiarist) and vocational rehab all test me and conclude AS. I also take the on-line tests and they say AS.

What confuses me is this: Why do I look so normal? Why can't people even tell that I'm autistic?

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2009, 2:16 am

I'm not fond of the DSM at all.

07 Feb 2009, 2:50 am

whitetiger wrote:
I couldn't get the test to load. The thing is, I've been tested to death. I've had two board certified drs (including a neuropsychiarist) and vocational rehab all test me and conclude AS. I also take the on-line tests and they say AS.

What confuses me is this: Why do I look so normal? Why can't people even tell that I'm autistic?

Because you are normal. We don't look any different.
Because AS is a mild form of autism so we are closer to normal so it's harder to tell. You can't tell someone is aspie just by looking at someone or seeing them for a few minutes. You have to be with someone for a while or everyday to see it. Plus they have to know what to look for to see it and be hooked on the word "normal" to find something wrong. That word is over rated. What is normal?

mixtapebooty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2009, 3:18 am

Some Aspies look really severe. They have the downward stare, and don't ever seem to look up at all, or it's rare. There are some physical characteristics that stand out as traits, but thy aren't a requirement for a DX because physical genes (looks) don't cause AS, but AS can cause certain physical traits. I also look really normal, as in no one believes anything could be wrong, no matter what my problems are or how I act, or think, or process sensory input. BUT I've had severe issues, and despite them, people just want to think I'm overreacting, or making it up, or lying for attention, or something else that attacks the nature of my character. Why? Because I'm pretty, smart, and talented. So no one sees a problem at all, which is ignorant. Ignorance of my behaviour by my parents has caused me a lot of loss and a lot of strife. I didn't know any better, growing up. I didn't even know what AS was until last year.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 3:33 am

Quote:
The AAA is described, and its use with a series of n = 42 clinic-patients is reported. Thirty-seven of these (88%) met DSM-IV criteria, but only 34 of these (80%) met AAA criteria. The AAA is therefore more conservative than DSM-IV.

Interesting.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2009, 5:18 am

Quote:
That word is over rated. What is normal?

That attitude is over rated. It is such a common idea nowadays. I will tell you what I consider to be normal.

Normal is basically what we can typically expect from somebody.

EXAMPLE: you say hi to a random person, and he says hi back. Normal behavior.
EXAMPLE: you say hi to a random person, and he ignores you. Less normal, but many people do this
EXAMPLE: you say hi to a random person, and he tells you that the squirrel is annoying, and is chewing the inside of his toenails out. HOLD UP! That isn't normal. Very unexpected response!

A standard. Standards are normal. A typical standard is to cook chicken before you eat it. To eat it raw would not be normal. You can expect people to eat chicken cooked, you don't expect anyone to eat it raw.

Now, as people change, so do expectations. As expectations change, NORMAL changes. What we typically see and expect from people changes.

Yes, many many people are unique individuals. Many people have "ordinary" written all over them until you get to know them (hence why people ask, "What is normal?"). However, as stated, we have expectations and standards that are NORMAL for people to have and meet on a regular basis.