Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 8:36 pm

If you stim in a way that is distracting, can't stand the lack of routine, etc...., are too blunt, are too honest, seem indifferent, seem too attentive, don't seem aware, don't look in their eyes, a case can be made to save everyone time, and not throw you into the pool.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 9:30 pm

Quote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
If you stim in a way that is distracting, can't stand the lack of routine, etc...., are too blunt, are too honest, seem indifferent, seem too attentive, don't seem aware, don't look in their eyes, a case can be made to save everyone time, and not throw you into the pool.

exactamente! :wink:

and as for jury duty - i have no wish to be a part of the friggin system and make for any kind of judgments on others in such a profound manner. and in your country you even have capital punishment. i mean, how barbaric and gross.

as michael franti says : "don;t believe in the system..."

BattleCreekDavid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2009, 9:43 pm

I served as a juror for a one day trial for our local District Court. It was a D.U.I. charge and their were two counts. I forget the exact counts, but we found the defendent guilty on one charge and not guilty on the other. It was a pretty easy case. I don't know how I passed the jury selection process. Chances are, though, you may never even serve on a jury. Prosecutors and defence attorneys pick jurors based on the strangest criteria. I guess they thought I was unbiased. If you tell them you think the police are always right (or wrong), you will probably be dismissed. Then you have to keep showing up to the court for your jury serving period. I guess you could tell them you have to get the chip out of your leg from the time the aliens took you aboard their spacecraft.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 1:13 am

I had jury duty last year and served on a jury. It was a remarkable experience, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything... it gives you a firsthand view of the justice system from the inside, very informative.

I would recommend anyone who gets called should not try to get out of it... even if it costs you some money, it's still well worth the time and the expense.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 3:40 am

I don't think AS would be an issue for jury duty. However, my religion (Christianity) forbids me to pass judgement on others, so I would probably feel uncomfortable about the prospect of serving on a jury.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 4:34 am

Quote:
jrknothead wrote:
I had jury duty last year and served on a jury. It was a remarkable experience, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything... it gives you a firsthand view of the justice system from the inside, very informative.

I would recommend anyone who gets called should not try to get out of it... even if it costs you some money, it's still well worth the time and the expense.

i also have had an inside view...it is just that it was on the other side of the wire.

sheesh..........

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 8:59 am

I've never been to jury duty, so maybe I'm missing something, but why is EVERYONE these days trying to get out of jury duty?

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 9:06 am

gramirez wrote:
why is EVERYONE these days trying to get out of jury duty?

I don't know about everyone.
But I can speak for myself.
I know that jury duty would make me an anxious, nervous wreck.
I'd like to prevent that if I can.
It's not that I can't do it, or that I have some kind of philosophical or political issue with jury duty. I simply don't wish to put myself in a social situation which I know would make me uncomfortable.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 9:32 am

bonez wrote:
if i tell them i have AS will that get me off? and how about if i dont have a diagnosis but i explain to them which symptoms i have that would make me a bad jury....?

AS is a good excuse for anything, is it not?

Yes, anything. Even murder.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 9:39 am

Acacia wrote:
I simply don't wish to put myself in a social situation which I know would make me uncomfortable.

Thousands of American soldiers have died so that you have your rights under the constitution. I doubt they felt "comfortable" going to war for the rest of us. Voting and jury duty are our civic responsibilities - comfortable or not.

I don't have a problem disqualifying jurors that have disabilities that truely affect their ability to process the information at trial and deliver a fair judgement. I served on a trial where a potential juror was disqualified because it was a DUI case and she couldn't stop crying because a close family member was killed by a drunk driver. That's fine - but when people start throwing out "I don't wanna" reasons, I find it to be complete BS.

I think the same about the religious "can not judge" argument as well. It's obvious that the "Judge not" reference is being used out of context. The true meaning of the statement has to do with judging right vs wrong with respect to another person's moral actions. Court of law has nothing to do with morality. It has to do with following rules set down by society (rules that can conflict with "the rule of God"). Jury duty is determining if mans' law was broken - and that doesn't conflict with the teachings in the bible.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 9:48 am

Quote:
Court of law has nothing to do with morality.

That must be why OJ Simspon was never convicted for the double-homicide he committed. :roll:

That must also be why everybody swears on the Bible. :roll:

Seriously though, morality is the foundation of any legal system.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:39 am

slowmutant wrote:

Seriously though, the basis of any legal system is keeping those with the power in power and those without the power outside. That is why the law is just only by accident.

ruveyn

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:48 am

ruveyn wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Seriously though, the basis of any legal system is keeping those with the power in power and those without the power outside. That is why the law is just only by accident.

ruveyn

That's ridiculous.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 10:53 am

slowmutant wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Is it? Read the newspapers. Study history.

ruveyn

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:04 am

ruveyn wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Is it? Read the newspapers. Study history.

ruveyn

If I look hard enough, I can find supporting evidence for just about any theory I might have. And what makes you think you're smarter than me? Your Jewishness?

t0
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 12:08 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
Court of law has nothing to do with morality.

That must be why OJ Simspon was never convicted for the double-homicide he committed. :roll:

That must also be why everybody swears on the Bible. :roll:

I really wasn't trying to start a PPR flame war - but here's my experience.

1) No bible swearing. Witnesses were asked to raise their right hand and to swear to "Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." No swearing to a god either.

2) We were specifically told by both the prosecutor and the defense attorney that we could only use the facts to decide the case. If there was behavior involved that we were morally against (by either the defendant, police or others) we could not use our moral compass to decide the verdict of the case. Yes it is true that the legal system was originally based on moral values. I probably should have written:

t0 in hindsight wrote:
Participating as a juror in a court of law does not require an individual to override/interfere with God's moral judgement. The juror's only decision is whether or not the defendant violated mans' law. Your god will make the only judgement as to whether or not the defendant lived a morally correct life.

I still think it's BS to claim religious exemption based on an objection of judgement. The bible clearly indicates that God's law is above mans' law - which means they are separate entities.