Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 11:28 pm

I've wondered about this for a while, because it's supposed to be like the "little professors" disability and I'm technically a genius, but I don't know that much about Asperger's.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm

Compared to what? I guess all humans, Aspies and NT's alike, are smart compared to a chimp. I suppos some aspies are smarter than some NT's but I also imagine that in general there are far far more smart NT's than there are smart Aspies. There are some not so smart Aspies and there are some Not so smart NT's.
I guess it all evens out in the end if we're just collectively smart enough not to blow ourselves up with a big bomb.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

I personnally don't think of myself as smart, but my grades seem to show it. =/ Got 80% and 84% in my two university midterm exams (the latter being worth 50% of my mark).

Last edited by phil777 on 12 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

not me...but I have geniuses in my family....some of whom had AS characteristics.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2009, 11:37 pm

No, they just have to have an IQ somewhere in the average or above average range. Rote memory is supposed to be quite good for obsessions, though (this is a stereotype, but I think it is true).

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 11:39 pm

So I guess it's like with average people, intelligence varies from person to person. I guess it helped me out that my mom is really smart and helped me learn a lot really early in life.
But I get horrible grades. lol

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:43 pm

No...then again I've always been confused about the definition of smart. So I'm only going by how poorly I did on many of my IQ scores..

Had some very smart people in my family. My dad for instance, but he doesn't have autism or anything on the spectrum that I know of.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 12 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm

Um.....smarts doesn't necessarily mean ACADEMICALLY. I can blow you away with my knowledge of history, toys, and economics...not to mention business.

School? Fugghedabbout it!! !! !! !! !

I just BARELY made the honor roll in my final semester of high school

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Um.....smarts doesn't necessarily mean ACADEMICALLY. I can blow you away with my knowledge of history, toys, and economics...not to mention business.

Yea, I'm kinda of like that with having an oddly expansive knowledge of some weird random things, but at least you made the honor roll, I'm lucky if I'm passing.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:47 pm

Aspies can know a lot about one subject and this is where the 'little professors' come into play.
For example I once knew about every dog breed and how to train dogs. I was once really knowledgeable about computers too. Now I know almost everything about cameras.
Aspies are usually very knowledgeable in one area, but struggle in other areas. They focus so much time on their special interest that they may not be that knowledgeable in other areas. I'm horrible at math and I don't' have much general knowledge. I found that out in an IQ test that I took at a psychology office in a university. But I aced all of the visual tests.

I'm pretty much a know-it-all smart arse to people I know. I think I'm smart even though I was the worst student in my class and teachers told me that I would never make anything of myself.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:55 pm

I have quite a bit of general knowledge and am maintaining a 4.0 average. However, I am not under the impression that intelligence should be defined as knowledge itself but instead the ability to learn at a fast pace, the ability to make accurate predictions based on past patterns or events, the ability to retain information, the ability to understand complex subject matter, and also the ability to apply that information. Creativity and inventiveness are other factors when it comes to gauging a person's intelligence.

Last edited by timeisdead on 12 Mar 2009, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:56 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

Yea, I'm kinda of like that with having an oddly expansive knowledge of some weird random things, but at least you made the honor roll, I'm lucky if I'm passing.

JUST barely dude, and since it was in my final semester, it wasn't considered "counting". All's that I cared was I SHUT MY PARENTS UP ABOUT IT.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2009, 12:01 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
jamesp420 wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

JUST barely dude, and since it was in my final semester, it wasn't considered "counting". All's that I cared was I SHUT MY PARENTS UP ABOUT IT.

I'm pretty much in the same boat and tryin to sail to the same destination. I got ten weeks to sit and do my work...and try to remember to keep my mouth shut. lol
All my friends know how smart I am, but I have an amazing ability to put myself on their level without seeming stupid.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 12:11 am

Well, like I said, my expertise is toys, business, history, and economics.

School, not really.....

In fact, I once told my friend "granted, I can't speak like Ronald Reagan could", and she said to me "I'd like to see him sell a toy, like you can".

I said "point taken" :)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 1:12 am

One cannot speak universally of ALL Aspies/HFAs, of course, but in general terms, Aspies/HFAs are smart; as in, (at least) higher than average IQ. IQ does not confer human intelligence, per se, in that intelligence is dynamic and a quotient isn't quite a true representation. But it's a measure so therefore has merit. Lab Pet is smart....I have a measured IQ of 160+ (& I'm well-educated, but grades aren't truly correlated with 'being smart')!

I'm very analytical/logical - science/ math oriented and artistic (I draw, paint, etc). Many Aspies/HFAs have great cognitive gifts and this is why I'm grateful for my Autism. I would not trade the gift of Autism although being Autistic is hard. Science isn't just 'what I do' but what I AM. And boundless curiosity.

So, yes. But, caveat: That I am 'gifted' is mutually exclusive of the fact that I am mind-blind. I cannot 'read' another's intent or motive, lack 'normal' emotive capacity, sensory differences (this is selectively advantageous though, although sometimes a real pain). And just because any individual is smart doesn't I do not try - I try very hard and have difficulties that would be foreign to a Neurotypical. Often the 'easy things' are hard - like doing routine paperwork, etc.

Lab Pet's neuropathy is tenuous since I need to be cautious about my lifestyle and low (or no) tolerance for chaos/disorder. Plus my partial muteness is hard but gives me deep focus too.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 1:44 am

i love your posts LabPet. you sum it up so well.
:)