Who tends to have better/happier lives? Aspies or NTs

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who tends to have better/happier lives? Aspies or NTs?
Aspies are happier 35%  35%  [ 13 ]
NTs are happier 65%  65%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 37

twix93
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 11:20 am

I have been wondering this for a while. :?:

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:22 am

how can you possibly compare the two? Everyone has different life experiences and everyone has their own issues. :shrug:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:30 am

Aspies because they don't need a huge social life to be happy, they just need to be doing stuff involving their obsessions usually.

Plus, if they can make a good career out of their obsessions, they will be RICH! (see: Bill Gates) :D

twix93
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2009, 11:35 am

Quote:
how can you possibly compare the two? Everyone has different life experiences and everyone has their own issues. shrug

I thought somebody would probably say that. I thought that maybe as an average, one would be slightly happier than the other - If you see what I mean.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:43 am

NTs do things they think will make them happy, like buying a huge home. But these things never do. They go to the pubs looking for sex, but end up bitter.

Aspies can be happy fiddling around with their computer or car, or books, or cataloging things, or taking care of their cats. But they tend to feel unhappy because they can't relate to most people.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:50 am

I've known NTs to also have psychological and psychiatric problems. I knew one that took her own life so I can't say who's happier than who unless it's put into such a format of what you mean.

Now I wish I was outgoing or better at verbally communicating like "normal" people then again I've know "normal" people to also have issues with communication say for instance head injury or stroke.

Personally without comparing, it would be nice not to have these weird sensory issues and poor social skills but that's just me.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 11:51 am

There's no difference in my opinion.

Some with AS want and need what others with AS can't stand and don't want. Some non-autistic people want and need what other non-autistic people can't stand and don't want.

Those with AS might often have more issues to cope with, strange and severe impairments, but that does not disqualify them to have as 'happy' lives as those who do not know these struggles.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 12:07 pm

You might say that NTs are happier because they can relate to and understand others better, therefore are more at ease with them and find it an easier task to make friends. Then again, you might say that Aspies are happier because they're more able to be true to themselves, living the kind of lifestyle that they wish and indulging in the interests they like without constantly worrying whether their 'friends' will approve of it and not exclude them.

And on top of that, of course, all NTs are still individuals within the NT spectrum, and all Aspies are still individuals within the AS spectrum.

hilz_85
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2009, 12:10 pm

What is "NT"?

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 12:11 pm

hilz_85 wrote:
What is "NT"?

Neurotypical - normal basically.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 12:15 pm

From my own personal experience, I think Aspies are happier, generally.
I can sit in the corner all lunch time, on my own and not be upset about no-one wanting to talk to me. With an NT teenage girl, I'm pretty sure they'd spend all lunch time in the toilets crying. I'm happy to be on my own.
I'm also easily amused, like I can spend hours just working Pi out on a piece of paper or such. For a NT, this is probably incomprehensible. I also get consistent joy from spending hours on my computer, unlike most NTs who get bored after 30 minutes. Obviously that doesn't apply to all NTs and not all Aspies get joy from what I do, but I think the majority can be amused and entertained with simple objects and without any social engagements.
I guess it depends on how much a NT can socialize and how much a Aspie can indulge in their interests.
I voted Aspie though.
EMZ=]

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 12:16 pm

Emor wrote:
I can sit in the corner all lunch time, on my own and not be upset about no-one wanting to talk to me. With an NT teenage girl, I'm pretty sure they'd spend all lunch time in the toilets crying. I'm happy to be on my own.
I'm also easily amused, like I can spend hours just working Pi out on a piece of paper or such. For a NT, this is probably incomprehensible. I also get consistent joy from spending hours on my computer, unlike most NTs who get bored after 30 minutes. Obviously that doesn't apply to all NTs and not all Aspies get joy from what I do, but I think the majority can be amused and entertained with simple objects and without any social engagements.
I guess it depends on how much a NT can socialize and how much a Aspie can indulge in their interests.
I voted Aspie though.
EMZ=]

Exactly my thoughts :)

How the hell do you work out Pi? I'd like to do that!

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 12:17 pm

Anybody ever go through life thinking they are not allowed to be happy? Every time I get happy, somebody notices and does whatever it takes to stop me from being happy.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2009, 12:38 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
Emor wrote:
I voted Aspie though.
EMZ=]

draw circles of various sizes and divide their circumferences by their diamenters
though im guessing she means something else

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2009, 12:41 pm

vivinator wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
Emor wrote:
I voted Aspie though.
EMZ=]

draw circles of various sizes and divide their circumferences by their diamenters
though im guessing she means something else

How would I go about finding out the circumferences and diameters?

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
Emor wrote:
I voted Aspie though.
EMZ=]

22 divided by 7 xD.
EMZ=P